PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1361 posts
400 upvotes
So up until now I've predominantly played in hand held mode (BoTW). With MK8D arriving I have played in docked mode for multiplayer and am now experiencing the joy con disconnecting issue. Woh Woh. I've contacted Nintendo about getting this fixed but it is quite annoying.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
I bought the Joy-Con Wheel set. You can turn on tilt controls in the options and play with both the motion controls and regular controls on at the same time.
I don't like using tilt controls but if you play with a single joy-con, holding it sideways, the wheel attachment makes that more comfortable.

In terms of comfort I would rank them: (best to worst)

1. Nintendo Switch Pro controller
2. 2 joycons detached, one in each hand for 1-player.
3. Portable mode (3DS / PS Vita style)
4. One joy-con in the Wheel attachment.
5. Both joycons in the Dog Grip controller attachment.
6. One joycon in two hands, holding the joycon sideways.
7. Using only tilt motion controls in the Wheel attachment
8. Using only tilt motion controls without the wheel attachment.

Some of the ways to dodge the Blue Spiny shell if you encounter one in first place:
Also, if you are not in first place, the blue shell can still hit all other drivers that are driving directly down the middle of the track.
The blue shell only lifts off the ground and flies right before it hits the first place player, therefore players driving down the middle of the track can also get wiped out by it
when it is travelling on the ground.

Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1361 posts
400 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 7:05 pm
I bought the Joy-Con Wheel set. You can turn on tilt controls in the options and play with both the motion controls and regular controls on at the same time.
I don't like using tilt controls but if you play with a single joy-con, holding it sideways, the wheel attachment makes that more comfortable.

In terms of comfort I would rank them: (best to worst)

1. Nintendo Switch Pro controller
2. 2 joycons detached, one in each hand for 1-player.
3. Portable mode (3DS / PS Vita style)
4. One joy-con in the Wheel attachment.
5. Both joycons in the Dog Grip controller attachment.
6. One joycon in two hands, holding the joycon sideways.
7. Using only tilt motion controls in the Wheel attachment
8. Using only tilt motion controls without the wheel attachment.

Some of the ways to dodge the Blue Spiny shell if you encounter one in first place:
Also, if you are not in first place, the blue shell can still hit all other drivers that are driving directly down the middle of the track.
The blue shell only lifts off the ground and flies right before it hits the first place player, therefore players driving down the middle of the track can also get wiped out by it
when it is travelling on the ground.

I was using the joy cons sideways in the surge grip kit holder. The surge grip kits are actually quite good and you don't really notice that it's not a full controller. I would highly recommend them if you didn't want to shell out the full amount for three additional pro controllers.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4735 posts
603 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Apr 30th, 2017 4:24 pm
So up until now I've predominantly played in hand held mode (BoTW). With MK8D arriving I have played in docked mode for multiplayer and am now experiencing the joy con disconnecting issue. Woh Woh. I've contacted Nintendo about getting this fixed but it is quite annoying.
I just got mine fixed through Nintendo, took about 10 days to send the controller and get it back (with a holiday mixed in there), it works like a charm now.

It was pretty dam annoying playing Zelda with it, I can only imagine it being downright infuriating trying to play mario kart with it.
Apr 10, 2012
631 posts
253 upvotes
I played a lot of MK8 this weekend, but I'm missing the "immersion" of some other games. I've never played a single Zelda game, but thinking that BOTW will be my first. Just hoping that I can get a used copy for a decent price.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9278 posts
437 upvotes
Markham
shahram0 wrote:
May 1st, 2017 2:22 pm
I played a lot of MK8 this weekend, but I'm missing the "immersion" of some other games. I've never played a single Zelda game, but thinking that BOTW will be my first. Just hoping that I can get a used copy for a decent price.
I haven't played much of Zelda either, but given all the talk... might give it a try. I think there will be people unloading it after finishing the game, I'd bite if it was a used copy in the $40-50 range. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
:lol:
Apr 10, 2012
631 posts
253 upvotes
Does anyone play their Switch on the TTC/Subway? What has been your experience? I don't know why I'm hesitant to do so. I just don't feel totally comfortable taking it out on the subway even during non-peak times.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
shahram0 wrote:
May 2nd, 2017 4:44 pm
Does anyone play their Switch on the TTC/Subway? What has been your experience? I don't know why I'm hesitant to do so. I just don't feel totally comfortable taking it out on the subway even during non-peak times.
Any reason why you don't feel comfortable?

I don't imagine it would be any different than using an iPad. Since it is a new device you may get some glances (people who don't know what it is, people who know what it is - but never seen one in public).
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4735 posts
603 upvotes
shahram0 wrote:
Provided I had a seat (which is far from a guarantee when I travel) I had zero hesitation bringing my switch and whipping it out on the train during my commute. It was a bit difficult playing Zelda, as there wasn't a ton of progress you could make in the 20-30 minutes it would take to get home but its phenomenal for Puyo Puyo Tetris.

Im still the only person Ive ever seen with one in public though.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5082 posts
1560 upvotes
Toronto
I have yet to see anyone using a Switch on Line 1 but I still get 3DS streetpasses regularly the days I bring it out with me. Give it a couple years and you'll see people using them on their commute.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5861 posts
1230 upvotes
I would not want to play the Switch on the TTC.

1. Too crowded during peak hours.
2. I would not want to hold the handrail that has been touched by thousands of commuters and then use the Switch.
3. If you take the TTC often enough you probably encounter some crazy people or panhandlers at least once every other week.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2032 posts
190 upvotes
I took my Switch on flights to/from Vegas recently. It's a little too big to comfortably play in economy, at least for me. If I'd had some way to hang it off the seat in front of me though it would have been amazing. On the way back my friend and I were in a three seat row alone and we put the switch on the seat tray between us and it worked great.

I was thinking about drawing up some type of hook that would attach to the joycon rails to hang the tablet from things. Something that could easily be 3D printed. Another option is a stand that places the tablet at an extreme angle (30° maybe) to the tray table.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10511 posts
563 upvotes
shahram0 wrote:
I have never seen anyone with the Switch out in public yet. I still see a lot of 3DS though.