PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 21st, 2017 2:22 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
System Update 3.00 is out, mainly fixes but a few new things:

- Fixes the HDMI input switching bug that happened on some TV models
- Fixes updates being stuck in a "failed" state
- Controller find feature. Makes any controllers within range vibrate so that they can be easily located. Cool for homes with kids.

Some other tweaks and stuff in the article. Still nothing on the saved games/storage front, they need to allow some options there at some point.

Also this Nyko dock puts the stock Nintendo one to shame, definitely going to pick it up.
Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
154 upvotes
No USB ports on that dock = no thank you (USB to Ethernet is a must for me).

Cool dock otherwise, but probably will end up costing almost as much as the official one anyway, and made by a crappy manufacturer.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
There are USB ports on the dock, read to the bottom. They already clarified it with the manufacturer in the update. It will have 2 USB ports for sure, possibly more.

Nothing wrong with Nyko, they have hit and miss products like most other peripheral manufacturers. This looks like a great one and definitely better than the awful stock implementation IMO.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2004
4952 posts
1440 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 2:44 pm
Also this Nyko dock puts the stock Nintendo one to shame, definitely going to pick it up.
wow that's so much slicker than what it comes with and solves the scratching issue
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2559 posts
292 upvotes
BC
So if the RMA process wasn't bad enough, Nintendo sent my joy-con repair to the wrong address. Who knows how long it will take to sort this out. Nintendo's RMA is a joke!
Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
154 upvotes
Ren wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 7:16 pm
So if the RMA process wasn't bad enough, Nintendo sent my joy-con repair to the wrong address. Who knows how long it will take to sort this out. Nintendo's RMA is a joke!
Different experiences I suppose. My RMA process was easy - only slightly annoying thing was filling out the Purolator paper, but otherwise it was simple and only took a few days to get it back.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5769 posts
1207 upvotes
Digital Foundry's analysis on Super Mario Odyssey's E3 2017 demo:

The E3 demo is 720p native resolution, 60 frames per second with some framerate drops in New Donk City.

The other open world 3D Mario games of this style: Super Mario 64 (Nintendo 64) and Super Mario Sunshine (GameCube) are capped at 30 frames per second.

Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3796 posts
528 upvotes
Kingston
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 10:39 am
Depends, The pro is certainly the better controller but if your comfortable using the joycons Id put that money towards an extra pair of joycons because the joycons can be split up and used as 2 controllers for games like mario kart.
Using the joy con's can be very uncomfortable. My hands cramp up after awhile. I think I'm going to order this tho. Should help alot, and still keeps it cheaper then getting the pro.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/surge-nint ... 0196787225?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2023 posts
190 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jun 21st, 2017 7:13 pm
The E3 demo is 720p native resolution, 60 frames per second with some framerate drops in New Donk City.
Worth remembering that the original demo for Splatoon 2 was also 720p/60 and it's now 1080p/60 when docked. Still seems likely to me that Nintendo's primary target is portable mode and they then scale up for docked mode.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2559 posts
292 upvotes
BC
Still no left joy con today. Luckily I returned the pro controller and bought a new one that seems to actually charge. FYI if your pro controller does not turn off it's charging light after a few hours it's probably busted!

The pro charging issue is not with the battery, as the battery will charge just fine with a WiiU pro controller. I didn't bother tearing mine apart, but I would guess a loose connector on the PCB, possibly on the USB port since they're fairly new. Makes me wonder if we'll see more defective pro controllers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 14, 2004
9261 posts
434 upvotes
Markham
PCDawg wrote:
Jun 20th, 2017 4:53 pm
There is another dock on kickstarter. Called SwitchCon

It's like a hub and works w Samsung s8, laptops etc and specifically the switch. Very portable.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sw ... tch-and-s8
This would be perfect! I don't like how it's clunky to move around the dock if I'm bringing the Switch somewhere that I want to have a TV connection.
:lol:
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2023 posts
190 upvotes
Switch vs. PS4 Japanese sales over their first seven and sixteen weeks. Should prove pretty conclusively that it's demand and not some inane marketing decision driving the shortages.

In their first sixteen weeks in Japan the PS4 sold 597,156 units, the Switch sold 991,659 units.
Last edited by Ascott on Jun 26th, 2017 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5772 posts
690 upvotes
Grimsby
You know what's interesting is that Microsoft could end up in third place this generation if the Switch keeps selling this well.