PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) console to ship on March 3rd 2017. Zelda on NX & WiiU

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2017 7:11 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4098 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
Update on GTA Switch stock?
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10510 posts
563 upvotes
Ascott wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 12:37 pm
Switch vs. PS4 Japanese sales over their first seven and sixteen weeks. Should prove pretty conclusively that it's demand and not some inane marketing decision driving the shortages.

In their first sixteen weeks in Japan the PS4 sold 597,156 units, the Switch sold 991,659 units.
and Japan is primarly known for portable gaming and not console gaming? While interesting information, the best comparison would be worldwide sales in the first sixteen weeks.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5858 posts
1229 upvotes
The Nintendo Switch launched in March. Consoles usually launch in the holiday period to maximize sales and create hype.
Due to shortages, the PS4 outsold the Nintendo Switch in North America in the month of May 2017.

From May's NPD (North American) sales results:

PS4 and XB1's combined North American sales are exceeding last gen's PS3 and XBox 360's combined North American sales by 29%. (Through both console generations' first 43 months on the market).

“On a time-aligned basis over each product’s first 43 months in market, the combined installed base of Sony’s PlayStation 4 and Microsoft’s Xbox One now exceeds the combined installed base of the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 by 29 percent.

source:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1394470
thechampion116 wrote:
Jun 26th, 2017 2:30 pm
and Japan is primarly known for portable gaming and not console gaming? While interesting information, the best comparison would be worldwide sales in the first sixteen weeks.
Media Create sales: Weekly Japanese sales data (June 12- June 18th)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread. ... dia+create

PS4 has sold 4.85 million consoles in Japan so far.
PS3 sold 10.4 million consoles in Japan lifetime to date (10 year span)
PS Vita sold 5.65 million units.

3DS sold 22 million units in Japan lifetime to date.
DS sold 32 million units in Japan lifetime to date.
Wii 12.75 million units sold in Japan lifetime to date.
Wii U 3.4 million units sold in Japan lifetime to date.
Switch 990,000+ units sold in Japan lifetime to date.

Playstation 2 sold 21 million units lifetime in Japan.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2029 posts
190 upvotes
I didn't post that article because the Switch was outperforming the PS4, I posted to to give context to just how high the demand actually is. Between that and the abysmal life-time sales of the Wii U and the 3DS awful launch it shuts down the whole narrative of artificial shortages or inadequate forecasting.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
The decline of home consoles in Japan is fascinating when you look at the numbers.

In the West, Nintendo likes to market the Switch as a home console that could be played portably. I wonder if in Japan, Nintendo markets it as a portable console you can play at home?
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2007
4098 posts
787 upvotes
Toronto
All EB Games in GTA got stock.... fyi,......go go go, call your nearest ones
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4734 posts
603 upvotes
The first Zelda DLC Drops tommorrow, did anyone pick it up yet?

Im not one to buy a season pass sight unseen, but Im going away for the weekend and Ive been jonesing for some more Zelda. I think I might pick it up .
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2029 posts
190 upvotes
I kinda' don't want to do a second play through until the new story DLC is available.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5819 posts
708 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah same. My first play through was really memorable and I don't want for the game to ever feel tedious by going back too soon. I will check it out again when the second DLC hits and do another run.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2570 posts
301 upvotes
BC
Redmask wrote:
Jun 29th, 2017 10:25 am
Yeah same. My first play through was really memorable and I don't want for the game to ever feel tedious by going back too soon. I will check it out again when the second DLC hits and do another run.
I beat it first on the WiiU and then on the switch. My second play through was more enjoyable than my first.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5079 posts
1559 upvotes
Toronto
Damn am I the only one here who hasn't finish BOTW yet? I haven't been playing it much since putting 50ish hours in that first month and doubt I'm even half way through it. Kind of saving it for when the shorter games in my backlog run out
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1685 posts
211 upvotes
Red Deer
My 10 year old son saved up for a Switch so we're currently on the hunt for one - no luck so far. It will be replacing his Wii U. Has anyone heard anything about Nintendo possibly making a Wii Sport-like game for the Switch? We still really enjoy playing Tennis, Bowling and occasionally Golf and Baseball on it and both are gonna miss that game once he gets the Switch.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1677 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
I played about 35-40 hours of BOTW.

I impulsively purchased the DLC pack a while back. The DLC clothes may look nice but their stats are weak compared to the stuff you would get in-game.
Dec 9, 2007
162 posts
15 upvotes
There will be a Splatoon 2 splatfest on July 15. A demo of Splatoon will be available for download.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2007
1685 posts
211 upvotes
Red Deer
I found a neon unit today at my local SDM. Of all the places, SDM was the one I never checked at.