• Last Updated:
  • Jan 13th, 2024 6:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 1, 2004
12038 posts
5146 upvotes
M1GOmigs wrote: I don't know what it is about the name "Switch", but at least 3 podcasts I listened to made mention of "Switch" being some sort of S&M term. I've never heard it before in that context, but it's either game journalists all talk to each other and copy each others' jokes, they're all into S&M, or I'm really out of the loop on what's popular terminology these days...
Lol, you don't say. I had to google that.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote: Considering that the Wii U console MSRP is still $350 - $400 Canadian for 2012 launch hardware without proper hard drive storage (with 1 digital game installed),
and the 3DS XL is currently $240 CDN (without a charger included Neutral Face ), I think the Nintendo Switch will launch for at least $450 Canadian next March.

Hopefully, Nintendo finally implements proper universal Nintendo ID accounts.
I want to be able to use the Virtual Console and downloaded titles I purchased on the Nintendo Switch without doing a system transfer and complete wipe of the old system.
That is the transfer process from the wii to Wii U, or 3DS to 3DS XL because all the digital content is still directly tied to the hardware instead of your Nintendo account.
I'm expecting $300 USD/$400 CDN at launch. Anything more is not going to fly for Nintendo hardware.

Nintendo would want to keep costs low. That's why rumours of a 720p non-touch screen and 32 GB internal storage makes sense.

When asked by IGN, Nintendo confirmed that the Nintendo Switch will not be backwards compatible with physical 3DS and Wii U games, but had "nothing to announce" on digital backwards compatibility. I could see Nintendo charging $20-30 for people to upgrade digital Wii U games to their NX ports (Mario Kart 8, Splatoon etc).
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
XFactor11 wrote: Considering that the Wii U console MSRP is still $350 - $400 Canadian for 2012 launch hardware without proper hard drive storage (with 1 digital game installed),
and the 3DS XL is currently $240 CDN (without a charger included Neutral Face ), I think the Nintendo Switch will launch for at least $450 Canadian next March.

I want to be able to use the Virtual Console and downloaded titles I purchased on the Nintendo Switch without doing a system transfer and complete wipe of the old system.
That is the transfer process from the wii to Wii U, or 3DS to 3DS XL because all the digital content is still directly tied to the hardware instead of your Nintendo account.
I'm expecting $300 USD/$400 CDN at launch. Anything more is not going to fly for Nintendo hardware.

Nintendo would want to keep costs low. That's why rumours of a 720p non-touch screen and 32 GB internal storage makes sense.

When asked by IGN, Nintendo confirmed that the Nintendo Switch will not be backwards compatible with physical 3DS and Wii U games, but had "nothing to announce" on digital backwards compatibility. I could see Nintendo charging $20-30 for people to upgrade digital Wii U games to their NX ports (Mario Kart 8, Splatoon etc).
I heard that while touchscreen wasn't confirmed, there will be some sort of IR sensor on the joycons (ugh, I hate that name) to allow for mouse-like movement – a feature which is important for something like Mario Maker. I can't see Nintendo abandoning a feature that is essential to one of their biggest hits on the WiiU.
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5935 upvotes
The more I look at the video, the less I like the joycons. I forget who said they look small but you're right, now that I'm kind of envisioning it and comparing to some online renders they look barely larger than the 3DS controls. I think if I pick this up I would need the pro controller but that would render a lot of the portability moot. I guess I'll have to wait for a demo kiosk or something.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 21, 2013
5897 posts
2950 upvotes
Toronto
The interesting thing about the video is that it doesn't show any kids at all... Is this Nintendo priming us for the type of pricing that is out of reach for kids?
Gear: Fujifilm X-Pro2 | Canon A-1
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
It's probably them just finally realizing that their primary demographic is the same as everyone else, 18-34 years old.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
998 upvotes
Vaughan
M1GOmigs wrote: The interesting thing about the video is that it doesn't show any kids at all... Is this Nintendo priming us for the type of pricing that is out of reach for kids?
Pretty sure they realize Nintendo is synonymous with kids now (almost every person on the planet has fond memories of Nintendo or knows they have kids games). They don't need that market anymore - they need the adults and teens. I'm expecting pricing to be $249 USD. But that's just a guess.

Joycon's open up an interesting door. Yokai Watch Joy Con? Pokemon Joy Con? Guitar Hero Joy Con? etc. There's a lot of possibilities on that front.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
M1GOmigs wrote: The interesting thing about the video is that it doesn't show any kids at all... Is this Nintendo priming us for the type of pricing that is out of reach for kids?
Full touchscreen smartphones came out nearly a decade ago. That group of kids literally grew up using smartphones and tablets. That cohort of customers has already been lost and has no idea what Nintendo is.

There's no doubt Nintendo would love to have that 8-12 age market, but they can't fight against a $500 billion tide of phones and tablets. So their best bet is rekindling interest in the brand from 18-24 year olds.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
7847 posts
9210 upvotes
Vancouver
squadz wrote:
Pretty sure they realize Nintendo is synonymous with kids now (almost every person on the planet has fond memories of Nintendo or knows they have kids games). They don't need that market anymore - they need the adults and teens. I'm expecting pricing to be $249 USD. But that's just a guess.
Nintendo isn't even on Interbrand's top 100 list anymore. They were dropped last year. So, no Nintendo isn't a well known brand. Replace Nintendo with "Lego" and you might be right.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
M1GOmigs wrote:
heywhatsmyname wrote:

I heard that while touchscreen wasn't confirmed, there will be some sort of IR sensor on the joycons (ugh, I hate that name) to allow for mouse-like movement – a feature which is important for something like Mario Maker. I can't see Nintendo abandoning a feature that is essential to one of their biggest hits on the WiiU.
The thing that most people believe to be an IR blaster is on the bottom of the right joycon (you can see it in a number of the promo shots and in the trailer). That's certainly an odd spot for it, so who knows what Nintendo will use it for.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
UnCeo wrote:
M1GOmigs wrote:
heywhatsmyname wrote:

The thing that most people believe to be an IR blaster is on the bottom of the right joycon (you can see it in a number of the promo shots and in the trailer). That's certainly an odd spot for it, so who knows what Nintendo will use it for.
Its probably just the way that the controllers interface with the tablet when connected as per this patent:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nintendo-n ... ies-550405
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
Andrew765 wrote:
UnCeo wrote:
M1GOmigs wrote:

Its probably just the way that the controllers interface with the tablet when connected as per this patent:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/nintendo-n ... ies-550405
Possible, but it does seem a bit odd. If it was just to sync with the tablet they could have easily made it more discreet. And why would they only have it one of the joycons?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
carmaster wrote: If the Switch launches for over $400, that's crazy. No one is going to buy it. They have to come in at $299.
I'd most assuredly bet $349 CDN is the least it will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $399.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
21133 posts
9788 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote:
carmaster wrote: If the Switch launches for over $400, that's crazy. No one is going to buy it. They have to come in at $299.
I'd most assuredly bet $349 CDN is the least it will be. I wouldn't be surprised to see it at $399.
$349 would be ok since it comes in cheaper than the PS4/Xbox One. They are pretty much toast at $399.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6908 posts
3333 upvotes
Canada
It's Nintendo .. they have so much money to burn. Every time they release something that people don't buy, they stick Reggie out there to remind us we're too stupid to understand their games.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 5, 2005
8513 posts
252 upvotes
I'd still buy 2 at $399CAD...Canadians can't expect to avoid the exchange rate. $349 CAD would be a price of $250 USD which is impossible. I imagine $299 to $349USD is the right price for it which translates to $399 - $450CAD.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
19313 posts
2764 upvotes
YVR
Expect Nintendo to give players a chance to try out the Switch before launch.

The Switch will not be replacing the 3DS (at least short term I assume).

Of course investors are not on board with a console, they want Nintendo to go mobile. I think it's the Pokemon Go affect. I don't see why Nintendo can't do both.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/pokemon-sho ... 1477475028
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Honestly I think Nintendo's refusal to consolidate to one platform and say point blank that the Switch is the successor to the 3DS as well as the Wii U is going to kill the platform.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2210 posts
696 upvotes
Edmonton
Ascott wrote: Honestly I think Nintendo's refusal to consolidate to one platform and say point blank that the Switch is the successor to the 3DS as well as the Wii U is going to kill the platform.
I'll hold judgement until after the holiday season. I think they just want to get through that with the 3DS and Pokemon and the Wii U and Paper Mario before they go full blast to focus all public attention on the Switch.

Also, I wonder if the "no pre-order" on the Classic NES is a test to see if they'll even put the Switch up for pre-order.

The 3DS also got Unity support earlier this year, so maybe they can build some 3DS and switch games into 2017.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
514 upvotes
GVR
Ascott wrote: Honestly I think Nintendo's refusal to consolidate to one platform and say point blank that the Switch is the successor to the 3DS as well as the Wii U is going to kill the platform.
They also said the DS was going to be a third pillar and not meant to replace the GBA. So all this talk about it not replacing the handhelds seems like Nintendo trying to minimize the impact the announcement has on 3DS sales.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)