PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) Console Thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 17th, 2019 12:27 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2214 posts
284 upvotes
Yeah. Nintendo has a serious problem with dry spells. They really should have embraced smaller downloadable titles (And better storage solutions on the Wii U...) to fill out their release calendars. It looked like that was the direction they were drifting in for a awhile with stuff like Pushmo and Dillions Rolling Western on the 3DS, but then that sort of stuff just dried up. On the Wii U they seemed to be trying to use collaborations (Bayonetta 2, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken, Devils Third) to pad out their calander, and I think that actually worked well in 2014, but those mostly dried up too.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5093 posts
768 upvotes
calgary
At this point I'm kind of okay with Nintendo's output. I'll never use a Nintendo system for anything but Nintendo games, in terms of third party games their services and features are embarrassing compared to their competitors and they haven't offered a competitive console graphically since the Gamecube.

It is what it is, if your going to own one console it almost certainly shouldnt be a WiiU unless your 8 years old but as a supplementary experience to an xb1/ps4/PC that plays on your nostalgia it's pretty good.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
625 upvotes
squadz wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 8:06 am
I see you didn't have a launch PS4.
I do have one and it is used almost everyday.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
raspeed wrote:
Feb 3rd, 2016 11:45 am
Wii hit "fad status" though. 99.98 million of those Wii's are dust collectors and likely saw less than 100 hours of usage.
Yeah, that's true. Part of it was Nintendo's fault. They did not put an effort to retain that audience. Any other company would have done some serious R&D to retain those customers. In the end it was Ubisoft that was getting casuals to turn on the Wii with their annual Just Dance games.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6364 posts
2169 upvotes
Canada
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 1:23 pm
It is what it is, if your going to own one console it almost certainly shouldnt be a WiiU unless your 8 years old but as a supplementary experience to an xb1/ps4/PC that plays on your nostalgia it's pretty good.
The only thing that bugs me is the lack of new material ... yet another Zelda remake instead of a new adventure. That's frustrating, but yes, buying 1 or 2 titles a year for the system it seems. :)
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5093 posts
768 upvotes
calgary
raspeed wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 6:27 pm
The only thing that bugs me is the lack of new material ... yet another Zelda remake instead of a new adventure. That's frustrating, but yes, buying 1 or 2 titles a year for the system it seems. :)

I agree, I enjoyed Smash and MK8 but man I've played the same iteration of these games half a dozen times and how many 70$ 2D platformers can one system deliver?

We are getting a new Zelda title though,
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 10:43 am
He makes a good point, splatoon was like the only game that launched on that console in like an 8 month span. People spent 250 to 300$ and are loooing for an excuse to use it. It certainly helps that it was new and colorful and good.

Launch PS4 had plenty of games to play...
You're right, the PS4 had plenty of quality games to play at launch.

http://m.ign.com/wikis/playstation-4/Pl ... nch_Titles

They most certainly weren't boring, or uninteresting and the PS4 definitely did not suffer from having a lack of games in the beginning.

Apparently I'm the only one with a good memory, or that actually owned a launch PS4.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 7:40 pm

They most certainly weren't boring, or uninteresting and the PS4 definitely did not suffer from having a lack of games in the beginning.

Apparently I'm the only one with a good memory, or that actually owned a launch PS4.
Wii U launch: New Super Mario Bros U + Zombi U + Rabbids Land + recently released AAA titles Assassin's Creed 3, FIFA 13 Black Ops 2. There were also ports of sequels of third party titles like Batman Arkham City, Mass Effect 3 and Darksiders 2. The Wii U version of these ports were generally considered the poorest.

Pikmin 3 was delayed till August 2013. Rayman Legends lost its exclusivity and was delayed so it could be ported to other platforms. Super Mario 3D World and Wind Waker HD were the only other significant games for the Wii U that year.

PS4 launch: Killzone + Knack + Resogun + recently released AAA titles such as COD: Ghosts, Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Madden 25, NFS: Rivals Black Flag. The multi-platform titles were slightly better on PS4 than they were on last gen. It was not an amazing launch line up, but competent when looking at things historically.

Infamous Second Son came out as promised in March 2014. While first party support was weak in year one, Sony was propped up by high quality third party and indie support.
Aug 20, 2009
6897 posts
1586 upvotes
Grimsby
squadz wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 7:40 pm

I had a launch PS4 that got plenty of use. There was certainly dry spells but the same can be said for the Wii U. Not that it really matters, they're very different platforms so these comparisons are kinda silly.
I agree, I enjoyed Smash and MK8 but man I've played the same iteration of these games half a dozen times and how many 70$ 2D platformers can one system deliver?
At the quality of most Nintendo games, as many as they want. I think the only game I've been truly disappointed with on the Wii U is Mario Party 10. Everything else has delivered outstanding value and enjoyment for both myself and my girlfriend.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5093 posts
768 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Feb 5th, 2016 9:01 am
At the quality of most Nintendo games, as many as they want. I think the only game I've been truly disappointed with on the Wii U is Mario Party 10. Everything else has delivered outstanding value and enjoyment for both myself and my girlfriend.
A lot of the games might not be up my alley or games I'd consider dropping 100s of hours on but its hard to disagree with the quality.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2009
2692 posts
551 upvotes
Hamilton
I'm curious what direction Nintendo will go in. I hope they don't get more gimmicky with these controllers and gamepads. I've been pretty happy with the amount and quality of 1st party titles they've had on the Wii U. Been quite enjoyable playing all these Nintendo titles in HD too. Haven't really made much use of the gamepad. In a way I wish they would just make a simple console with easier 3rd party development and solid 1st party titles.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2012
5065 posts
578 upvotes
Mississauga
honestly I bought my WiiU with the exception of playing one full Zelda adventure game on it.

Anything else is a plus (so far nothing...has caught my eye so my WiiU is still in its box)

My daily gaming needs are generally solved by my 3DS and Android Phone (PSP, SNES, GBC emulator)
one of these days I'll need to download the Muramasa DLC, I'm worried the batteries in my Vitas might go bad.
Favourite Games: NieR (PS3), Catherine (PS3), Persona 3 FES/Portable (PS2/PSP), Final Fantasy IX (PSX), Persona 4 Golden (PSV), Witcher 1,2,3 (PC), Skyward Sword (Wii), Pokemon Colosseum (GC), Fire Emblem Awakening (3DS), Shin Megami Tensei IV (3DS), Majora's Mask (3DS), Bravely Default (3DS)
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
29506 posts
2263 upvotes
Winnipeg
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 6:53 pm

it's different now that we have mario maker, now you can get all the mario you ever wanted
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Feb 4th, 2016 6:53 pm

Can't you say this about the PS4 as well? Or Playstation for that matter?

I enjoyed CoD4, but man I've played the same iteration of this game a dozen times.
I enjoyed Final Fantasy, but man I've played the same iteration of this game a dozen times.
I enjoyed "insert game here", but man I've played the same iteration of this game a dozen times.

As far as Nintendo goes, with the exception of Pokemon's almost yearly releases, they mostly release a characters series game each generation, as opposed to the yearly CoD/EA/Playstation release. They don't release Smash, MK, Zelda, Super Mario etc. on a yearly basis on a platform.

Also, they're the only company still putting out solid, quality platformers - so I see no issue with that.

What you should be saying here, is that you don't have anything else to play besides Nintendo's 1st party lineup, which would be correct. There's nothing wrong with their first party games, but it's the lack of 3rd party that keeps people from coming over. The same people that complain about Nintendo's games being the same every year, but need their yearly release of CoD, EA Sports etc. - the irony is delicious..
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5093 posts
768 upvotes
calgary
Your not doing your argument any favors by comparing it to Call of Duty.
The same reason I don't play CoD anymore is the same reason I couldn't garner much enjoyment out of SSB or NSMBWiiU, they are milking and barely improving on the same formula that .

Lots of indie studios are producing platformers that rival or in some case exceed the quality of Nintendo games but are charging a fraction of the price.

Whatever I like my Nintendo though, especially now that my son is old enough that I can enjoy it with him. SM3DW might still be one of my favorite games of this generation, There is a ton of shortcomings with the console but I think its just because the target audience is probably not me and is more catered to young children so maybe the problem is I shouldn't except features I'm accustomed too and most of the features that are there like MiiVerse are targeted towards preteens.

divx wrote:
Feb 8th, 2016 2:28 pm
it's different now that we have mario maker, now you can get all the mario you ever wanted

Heh, I dont know if your being sarcastic or not and I love Mario Maker but it is in no way a replacement for an actual Mario (not that I really want another Mario 2 Platformer). Most of the user created levels and levels you play through the 100 course challenge feel like they were designed by a 6 year old (actually they were given some of the courses my son has uploaded).

A lot of the enjoyment for me stems from locally creating levels and challenging freinds/family

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)