PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) Console Thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 6:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1781 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
SuperDuperFox wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 12:14 pm
I find Nintendo's problem is more hardware than software. Their games are still solid and they still seem to get the highest review scores for their exclusive stuff. They definitely know how to make fun and interesting games. Just wish they would release a powerful console for once. I think they could use a new franchise too, something a little more dark and serious, like Zelda during the N64 days, before it became cartoony. It used to be Mario for the cartoony stuff and Zelda for the darker, more serious stuff.

I say release a new Zelda game, and take it back to the Ocarina/Majority style of darker and serious.
I agree with the hardware issue and that's why I would have no issue with them becoming a third party developer. I think within a decade we will see AAA Nintendo games on PC and non-Nintendo consoles.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
squadz wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 10:40 am
The hate is real in this thread.

You can tell which people grew up with Nintendo, and which of you are still in high school wondering who this Super Mario character is that people talk about.

Contrary to the belief in this thread, Nintendo isn't going anywhere - and as a business, they aren't stupid. If the next console is truly a hybrid (as in, 3DS-like mobile platform, and a higher powered Wii U as the base) then it will be huge for them. Their handheld business is massive, and when you factor those people in as sales, you have a very large market share where 12 million units is a drop in the bucket.

But it's too early - I don't even trust the sources in this article. Put away your pitchforks.
Yeah, it's sad. But Nintendo have only themselves to blame. Their hierarchy is so intensely blinkered. They really need to step out of their office buildings and listen to their fan-base and the newer generation of videogame designers rather than recirculating all of the same old pap with slightly better graphics on increasingly convoluted and proprietary platforms.

I'm absolutely certain it would only take a few really original ideas and smart redesigns of their back-catalog to bring them back into the limelight with a new console. But I'm of the mind that they need to go the route of Sony and MS and cater their consoles to developers rather than continually trying to produce 'innovative controllers' or complex hardware with proprietary technology. Hardware complexity just makes them less attractive to a third party developer, when the market already has two competing hardware options with tens of millions of existing customers. And attracting third parties are what will make or break the platform unless they radically expand their first party development.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 12:36 pm
Nah dude 3ds only sold 50 million units and most of those people are grown ups now and waiting for VITA 2. /s

Would make sense that its probably a handheld successor in some form considering the 3ds is almost 5 years old and that's where their business is strongest
Vita 2? I highly doubt we'll see a Sony handheld any time soon. They've almost abandoned Sony Vita as a failure and it's barely three years in. I can't imagine how much R&D, manufacturing and marketing dollars they've sunk into that boat anchor. I can't see them even breaking even on that one.

My guess is they're going all in on VR instead.
Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
SuperDuperFox wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 12:14 pm
I find Nintendo's problem is more hardware than software. Their games are still solid and they still seem to get the highest review scores for their exclusive stuff. They definitely know how to make fun and interesting games. Just wish they would release a powerful console for once. I think they could use a new franchise too, something a little more dark and serious, like Zelda during the N64 days, before it became cartoony. It used to be Mario for the cartoony stuff and Zelda for the darker, more serious stuff.

I say release a new Zelda game, and take it back to the Ocarina/Majority style of darker and serious.
What about a persistent universe Pokemon game? Or a Zelda World-of-Warcraft-a-like open world MMORPG? A Metroid side-scrolling next generation old-school platformer and an FPS shooter? Mario RPG in the style of Skyrim? A VR Mario Kart? I think we can all think up a hundred different variants that would appeal to the masses.

It's time Nintendo started listening to what we want if they plan on building new hardware.
Aug 26, 2010
913 posts
169 upvotes
Brampton
Nintendo isn't bleeding money, they're still making profits and they put out solid first party games which are good enough to move hardware alone.
They have enough cash from the nes and Wii days to keep pumping out hardware for the next 20 years. Has the Wii U been a disappointment, I would say so compared to the Wii which had many great exclusives.
The Nintendo NX seems interesting if they are looking to combine console and mobile gaming together as a replacement of the Wii U and 3DS.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6936 posts
1823 upvotes
If the next true Zelda sequel releases on NX too, I would get the NX version over the Wii U one.

I doubt Sony will make a handheld successor to the Vita. As much as I like the Vita, it mostly failed outside of Japan and only games
made by Japanese developers are supporting the Vita right now.

Gravity Rush 2 is only going to be on PS4, and Gravity Rush 1 is getting remastered on the PS4.
That pretty much means Vita support is dead.

Troutmagneto wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 3:13 pm
Vita 2? I highly doubt we'll see a Sony handheld any time soon. They've almost abandoned Sony Vita as a failure and it's barely three years in. I can't imagine how much R&D, manufacturing and marketing dollars they've sunk into that boat anchor. I can't see them even breaking even on that one.

Feb 6, 2014
440 posts
29 upvotes
KangFu wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 4:06 pm
Nintendo isn't bleeding money, they're still making profits and they put out solid first party games which are good enough to move hardware alone.
They have enough cash from the nes and Wii days to keep pumping out hardware for the next 20 years. Has the Wii U been a disappointment, I would say so compared to the Wii which had many great exclusives.
The Nintendo NX seems interesting if they are looking to combine console and mobile gaming together as a replacement of the Wii U and 3DS.
I think it's their insistence on designing unique hardware that's making it difficult for third party devs to support their platforms. Why waste tens of millions of dollars on re-training your staff and crafting new in-house software tools to work on new unsupported hardware when you can use industry-standard platforms and existing tools, throw your work onto PS4 and XB1 and stroll to the bank with your wheel barrow full of money? The ROI just isn't there for Nintendo products.

They have a HUGE uphill battle ahead of them with the next console they put out. How can they even compete with Sony and MS? The ONLY edge they have is in the handheld market. It's a virtual monopoly. They have to somehow leverage that and make it attractive to the average gamer over the age of fifteen.

That's a marketing and logistical nightmare.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6462 posts
2565 upvotes
Toronto
Troutmagneto wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 3:13 pm

I was being sarcastic if it wasn't obvious lol
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5093 posts
768 upvotes
calgary
As someone who has been a lifelong Nintendo fan and who was there practically day one with the WiiU it's going to take something bigger then rehashed versions of older games to get me on board with the next generation of Nintendo consoles.

I think the thing that gets me the most is with so many great games at such great prices on other platformers I refuse to pay 75-80$ for another 2D platformer or Multiplayer game with one mode simply because its a Nintendo game.

Unlike other publishers, Nintendo would rather discontinue the product then drop the price after a few weeks/months.

I'll take my money elsewhere, especially given Nintendo's inconsistent track record as of late in regards to quality.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
squadz wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 10:40 am
The hate is real in this thread.

You can tell which people grew up with Nintendo, and which of you are still in high school wondering who this Super Mario character is that people talk about.

Contrary to the belief in this thread, Nintendo isn't going anywhere - and as a business, they aren't stupid. If the next console is truly a hybrid (as in, 3DS-like mobile platform, and a higher powered Wii U as the base) then it will be huge for them. Their handheld business is massive, and when you factor those people in as sales, you have a very large market share where 12 million units is a drop in the bucket.

But it's too early - I don't even trust the sources in this article. Put away your pitchforks.
The handheld business isn't what it once was. It's shrinking, and there's no indication that it'll get any better.
The 3DS has shipped ~50m units to date, the DS shipped ~100m at the same point in its life span.

I don't see any reason why anyone would think the NX will be a success. It might, you never know, but I would never assume success.
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
625 upvotes
Unless that NX console/portable hybrid could make calls, text, browse or do anything like a cellphone, it will fail. I don't see anyone carrying two devices that can play games.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1781 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
KangFu wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 4:06 pm
There seems to be a notion that Nintendo made so much money from the DS/Wii era that they can take a hit from producing consoles for a long time. That's not how business works.

Nintendo is not in the red, but they aren't in a fiscally stable situation either. The late Iwata and other board members took a paycut in 2014 as the company had declining profits and an operating loss. They are constantly answering to their upset shareholders. Nintendo churned a profit in 2015 primarily due to the USD-Yen exchange rate.

Unlike Microsoft, they do not have other divisions where they can fall back on when things aren't good.

In order for Nintendo to turn things around their ventures in mobile and NX needs to be a hit.
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 6:59 pm
There seems to be a notion that Nintendo made so much money from the DS/Wii era that they can take a hit from producing consoles for a long time. That's not how business works.

Nintendo is not in the red, but they aren't in a fiscally stable situation either. The late Iwata and other board members took a paycut in 2014 as the company had declining profits and an operating loss. They are constantly answering to their upset shareholders. Nintendo churned a profit in 2015 primarily due to the USD-Yen exchange rate.

Unlike Microsoft, they do not have other divisions where they can fall back on when things aren't good.

In order for Nintendo to turn things around their ventures in mobile and NX needs to be a hit.
Nintendo has massive amounts of cash stockpiled, so they'll survive.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1781 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
UnCeo wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 7:01 pm
Nintendo has massive amounts of cash stockpiled, so they'll survive.
They will survive. But is just "surviving" enough? Even Blackberry has a cash reserve from their peak in the mid to late 2000s.

They posted operating losses a few short years after the massive hits of the DS and Wii.

Most tech business would use that money for R&D and to build upon their success. Nintendo was flailing and dithering for several years unable to define what they stand for. Most businesses would have done major restructuring if what happened to Nintendo happened to them. It seems like they might be going to right path with mobile and NX, but it may be too little too late.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6365 posts
2170 upvotes
Canada
So where was that thread again on here from the experts that ademantly stated there would be no NX in 2016?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)