PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) Console Thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 7:59 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
I bought the Hardcover strategy guide from Amazon but it is easily worst guide I've ever seen. It omits a lot of useful information.
It pretty much only has movelists, without frame data and it does not even provide information on the new modes or a chart to show
which characters unlock who and in which order, or any information on the things you can collect, etc.

The game itself is the best Super Smash game made to date.
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 11:40 am
How are folks liking Smash Bros Ultimate?

I think its their best package since Melee. The mechanics in Brawl were too heavily, while the Wii U version was hampered by lack of modes + the console itself.

It's unfortunate that Nintendo still hasn't figured out online. I feel Nintendo's poor online features is holding this series back.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1220 posts
238 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 3:46 pm
I bought the Hardcover strategy guide from Amazon but it is easily worst guide I've ever seen. It omits a lot of useful information.
It pretty much only has movelists, without frame data and it does not even provide information on the new modes or a chart to show
which characters unlock who and in which order, or any information on the things you can collect, etc.

The game itself is the best Super Smash game made to date.
I ordered the paperback since it's cheap, do you think it could be a lot worst then? Played a lot of fighting games but definitely this is my first experience with SMASH. I'm awful at this game. It's like MK (hold a button to block); MvC;MVCi (auto combo) and SC (ring out) combined. Much respect for hi-level player dedicated to this game.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
I finally unlocked all the characters tonight.

World of Light is pretty mediocre. The ways they incorporate the spirits into the battle with a mix of characters, pallets, and effects is actually pretty clever most of the time, but it's just not enough to sustain the mode. A lot the match setups result in so much chaos you can't even see what's going on, or they're simply not fun to play. And it just keeps freaking going. It's like 25-30 hours long for a 100% clear and outside the eight or so bosses, it's all the same thing on repeat again, and again, and again. Spirits are a little disappointing too. Chock full of references based on their effects, enhancements, etc... but would it really have been that big a deal to include a single sentence of lore/history with each one?

The new structure to classic mode is neat. The themed route for each character are novel enough and make each feel pretty distinct. I like how they retooled the betting/severity system from Smash 4. I do wish there was more than one challenge stage though - the single one that's there isn't ideal for a lot of characters.

The new AI is absolutely nuts when cranked all the way up. It's using short hops, perfect shields, pursuing you off the stage, etc. On lower levels it's pretty usual, but there's this point around intensity 8 where it wakes up and just decides to wreck unsuspecting players shit. Sporadically new challenger AI seems to be set into this range, which was fun.

I haven't played much online yet, but what I did play seemed alright. I didn't run into the extreme lag a lot of people are reporting. Like many I'm not getting 1V1 like I want.

I do miss the mini games. Break the target, that angry birds things with the bomb, and Homerun Contest.

Overall I think the game is pretty solid. I would have preferred to see half or more of World of Light/the Spirits dropped in favor of a few more challenge levels and such, but it's a solid package with tons of stuff to unlock.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 3:38 am

World of Light is pretty mediocre. The ways they incorporate the spirits into the battle with a mix of characters, pallets, and effects is actually pretty clever most of the time, but it's just not enough to sustain the mode. A lot the match setups result in so much chaos you can't even see what's going on, or they're simply not fun to play. And it just keeps freaking going. It's like 25-30 hours long for a 100% clear and outside the eight or so bosses, it's all the same thing on repeat again, and again, and again. Spirits are a little disappointing too. Chock full of references based on their effects, enhancements, etc... but would it really have been that big a deal to include a single sentence of lore/history with each one?

The new structure to classic mode is neat. The themed route for each character are novel enough and make each feel pretty distinct. I like how they retooled the betting/severity system from Smash 4. I do wish there was more than one challenge stage though - the single one that's there isn't ideal for a lot of characters.

The new AI is absolutely nuts when cranked all the way up. It's using short hops, perfect shields, pursuing you off the stage, etc. On lower levels it's pretty usual, but there's this point around intensity 8 where it wakes up and just decides to wreck unsuspecting players shit. Sporadically new challenger AI seems to be set into this range, which was fun.

I haven't played much online yet, but what I did play seemed alright. I didn't run into the extreme lag a lot of people are reporting. Like many I'm not getting 1V1 like I want.

I do miss the mini games. Break the target, that angry birds things with the bomb, and Homerun Contest.

Overall I think the game is pretty solid. I would have preferred to see half or more of World of Light/the Spirits dropped in favor of a few more challenge levels and such, but it's a solid package with tons of stuff to unlock.
I miss the Event Matches from Melee. I think that was the best single player mode in all Smash games.

In addition to what you said about World of Light, I felt that mode had longer load times than other sections of the game.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Digital Foundry goes over the graphical overhaul and upgrades of Super Smash Ultimate over the previous Wii U version.

Last edited by XFactor11 on Dec 17th, 2018 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Zelda Breath of the Wild over Xenoblade 2.

Other recommendations I would put ahead of Xenoblade 2:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
Super Mario Odyssey
Super Mario Party
Diablo III Eternal Collection

gundamwingZero wrote:
Dec 16th, 2018 9:49 pm
Recently bought switch ‘for the kids’...

Xenoblade 2 or zelda?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
Breath of the Wild. I really enjoyed my time with Xenoblade Chronicles 2, but BotW is legitimately one of the best games ever made in my opinion. Not sure exactly where it lands, but definitely top 5.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5167 posts
868 upvotes
calgary
Ascott wrote:
Dec 13th, 2018 3:38 am

Agreed on all accounts here, the game plays surprisingly well in portable mode with the joycons.

World of light seems kind of meh to me, a lot of random references that totally go over my head and its very samey. The new classic mode is great though, I love that they omitted the hand boss in favor of personalized bosses for each character.

Haven't played online yet because I'm not a nintendo online subscriber and don't intend to be.

Overall I'm enjoying this a lot more than the WiiU version, but like most Switch games its probably because I can easily just take it on the go.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2242 posts
297 upvotes
As far as I know you can't transfer saves between profiles on the Switch. At least not on a stock unit.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3810 posts
315 upvotes
Toronto
not specifically for the switch but i bought hollow knight while it was on sale and i hate it. i don't mind metroid-style exploration but this game was just irritating to play.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2007
1478 posts
652 upvotes
Cambridge
stevelam wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 7:07 pm
not specifically for the switch but i bought hollow knight while it was on sale and i hate it. i don't mind metroid-style exploration but this game was just irritating to play.
Oh, that's sad :( It's one of my favourite games in a long time and probably my favourite Metroid-style game. The first area is the worst area of the whole game, so if that's all yo've experienced, keep with it!

I'm curious, what did you find irritating about it?
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3243 posts
1101 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 12th, 2018 3:39 pm
It was always bad but at least it used to be free. It's ridiculous to me that their still barebones barely functional online is now locked behind a subscription paywall
I didn't think it was possible, but they managed to regress with the online netcode and match setup for this version of Smash. I'm holding out hope for a Splatoon levels of refinement before I commit more time to Smash Ultimate.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
There were some rumours that Nintendo would drop a Direct on Jan 10th. That didn't happen, but there was a few Switch release dates announced over the past few days.

Yoshi's Crafted World - March 29
Final Fantasy 10/10-2 - April 16
Dragon's Dogma - April 23
Final Fantasy 12 - April 30

It's good that Nintendo and their third party partners got these announcements out of the way, rather than saving them for a Direct. Their next Direct should have some information on the next Fire Emblem and/or Animal Crossing.

I'm predicting:

Fire Emblem - June (There is a Fire Emblem expo in Japan on May 4th)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - September
Animal Crossing - October
Pokemon - November

No Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 this year.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)