PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) Console Thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 16th, 2019 7:59 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3211 posts
1101 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 11:26 am
There were some rumours that Nintendo would drop a Direct on Jan 10th. That didn't happen, but there was a few Switch release dates announced over the past few days.

Yoshi's Crafted World - March 29
Final Fantasy 10/10-2 - April 16
Dragon's Dogma - April 23
Final Fantasy 12 - April 30

It's good that Nintendo and their third party partners got these announcements out of the way, rather than saving them for a Direct. Their next Direct should have some information on the next Fire Emblem and/or Animal Crossing.

I'm predicting:

Fire Emblem - June (There is a Fire Emblem expo in Japan on May 4th)
Luigi's Mansion 3 - September
Animal Crossing - October
Pokemon - November

No Metroid Prime 4 or Bayonetta 3 this year.
I'm hoping they secretly are spending a good bit of cash on fixing their online infrastructure, especially if Dragon's Dogma supports online play.
Oct 21, 2013
175 posts
50 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Hey guys,

Any tips for making Zelda: Breath of the Wild easier?

Trying to introduce a newer/younger player to the franchise but he's having trouble with weapons breaking, and knowing which areas are 'easier' to tackle first in an open world.

Not sure if there's a walkthrough/guide you guys can recommend but thought I'd ask!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like development of Metroid Prime 4 will be restarting with Retro taking over for Bamco.

Kudos for Nintendo for being open and transparent with their fan base - some of them who assumed the game will come out this year.

I can't see how this game will come out before Holiday 2021. Most likely 2022. Perhaps the Switch's swan song?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3284 upvotes
Toronto
Sucks to hear but props to them for being honest about it and starting over rather than rushing it out and trying to cash in anyways like some other publishers. If the BOTW delay was any indication then it'll be worth the wait
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/financ ... index.html

Nintendo released some software sales data and its quite impressive. Some highlights (includes digital and physical):

Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 15.02 million
Super Mario Odyssey - 13.76 million
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 12.08 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 11.68 million

The Switch has a very strong attach rate compared to other successful Nintendo hardware such as the Wii and DS. Many folks bought the Wii and DS for only one or two games.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5167 posts
868 upvotes
calgary
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 10:01 am
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/financ ... index.html

Nintendo released some software sales data and its quite impressive. Some highlights (includes digital and physical):

Mario Kart 8: Deluxe - 15.02 million
Super Mario Odyssey - 13.76 million
Super Smash Bros Ultimate - 12.08 million
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - 11.68 million

The Switch has a very strong attach rate compared to other successful Nintendo hardware such as the Wii and DS. Many folks bought the Wii and DS for only one or two games.
LOL @ Mario Kart.
I remember a few people questioning that this would sell very well because it was just a "remaster", nevermind that it came out on a console that nobody owned.

Also it's crazy to see Smash up there given its only been out for a couple months.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3211 posts
1101 upvotes
And analysts were insisting the Switch would have a soft 2018.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
3211 posts
1101 upvotes
And analysts were insisting the Switch would have a soft 2018.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3284 upvotes
Toronto
Three of those top games basically being WiiU ports just reminds me why I'm still waiting on buying a Switch.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1820 posts
502 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 2:57 pm
Three of those top games basically being WiiU ports just reminds me why I'm still waiting on buying a Switch.
I'm critical of Nintendo porting Wii U games to the Switch for full price...but Mario Kart 8 is the exception. It is the definitive Mario Kart experience and a must have for all Switch owners.

I wouldn't consider Smash Ultimate as a Wii U port. It's a completely different game (more characters, more maps, different modes, some changes to gameplay mechanics and slightly better netcode).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3284 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 12:27 pm
I'm critical of Nintendo porting Wii U games to the Switch for full price...but Mario Kart 8 is the exception. It is the definitive Mario Kart experience and a must have for all Switch owners.

I wouldn't consider Smash Ultimate as a Wii U port. It's a completely different game (more characters, more maps, different modes, some changes to gameplay mechanics and slightly better netcode).
As a casual player I honestly can't tell the difference and it looks and plays exactly the same as Smash 4 to me. Obviously there are more characters and different modes but the gameplay changes aren't very noticeable rather the overall experience is largely the same for anyone who doesn't pay attention to the meta or take Smash seriously as a competitive game. Smash generally doesn't move the needle for me anymore and it's at best something I'd buy sale for $20 which we know isn't happening anytime soon if ever. I waiting on more actually new fresh experiences like Mario Odyssey before I consider picking up a Switch.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
7553 posts
2204 upvotes
Smash Ultimate has 76 characters out of the box + 6 new DLC characters coming up and all the characters from every Smash game up until now.
Ultimate also has way more modes and stages, including character specific boss battles for its classic arcade mode and a new story mode.

Smash Ultimate also got a graphical overhaul and every character model has new reactive facial expressions that were not in the Wii U version.

Smash Wii U only had 51 characters and then 7 paid DLC characters bringing it up to 58 characters if you bought the $45 DLC content + 3 stages.
Aug 20, 2009
7130 posts
1831 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 31st, 2019 2:57 pm
The Switch has a pretty great line up so far dude. Between its system sellers, old games and indies it offers a lot of bang for the buck with plenty of other games in the pipeline still to come. The PS4 had like 2 games and a bunch of rehashes for its first couple of years, way less of a value than the Switch is. Not sure what exactly you're waiting for at this point but we really enjoy ours.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3284 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:42 pm
The Switch has a pretty great line up so far dude. Between its system sellers, old games and indies it offers a lot of bang for the buck with plenty of other games in the pipeline still to come. The PS4 had like 2 games and a bunch of rehashes for its first couple of years, way less of a value than the Switch is. Not sure what exactly you're waiting for at this point but we really enjoy ours.
I'm waiting for more must have Nintendo games like Odyssey that aren't WiiU ports. I've already played MK8 and Smash to death, already finished BOTW, Bayonetta 2 and DKC:TF on WiiU. Mildly interested in Xenoblade 2, Octopath Traveler, ARMS and Rabbids but those aren't system sellers to me as much as filler I'd maybe check out when or if they're heavily discounted so no rush there. Mario Party, Tennis and Splatoon don't do anything for me. Indies and third party games are better played and far cheaper on other platforms. I've been paying attention and don't think I'm overlooking anything.
Aside from Odyssey and MP4 which is delayed now there's nothing really grabbing my attention. To be fair I didn't see the appeal or buy a PS4 either until 2017 nearly 4 years after it launched
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
7023 posts
3284 upvotes
Toronto
XFactor11 wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 4:26 pm
Smash Ultimate has 76 characters out of the box + 6 new DLC characters coming up and all the characters from every Smash game up until now.
Ultimate also has way more modes and stages, including character specific boss battles for its classic arcade mode and a new story mode.

Smash Ultimate also got a graphical overhaul and every character model has new reactive facial expressions that were not in the Wii U version.

Smash Wii U only had 51 characters and then 7 paid DLC characters bringing it up to 58 characters if you bought the $45 DLC content + 3 stages.
I'm just over Smash after playing it to death on 3DS and WiiU man. Facial expressions and some more characters doesn't change the fact that the core game still looks and plays nearly identical to the previous game for me.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)