PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) Console Thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 21st, 2019 6:57 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6368 posts
2170 upvotes
Canada
squadz wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 10:40 am
The hate is real in this thread.

You can tell which people grew up with Nintendo, and which of you are still in high school wondering who this Super Mario character is that people talk about.

Contrary to the belief in this thread, Nintendo isn't going anywhere - and as a business, they aren't stupid. If the next console is truly a hybrid (as in, 3DS-like mobile platform, and a higher powered Wii U as the base) then it will be huge for them. Their handheld business is massive, and when you factor those people in as sales, you have a very large market share where 12 million units is a drop in the bucket.

But it's too early - I don't even trust the sources in this article. Put away your pitchforks.
53 million 3DS sales would support that hypothesis.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
wal3145 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2015 6:56 pm
Unless that NX console/portable hybrid could make calls, text, browse or do anything like a cellphone, it will fail. I don't see anyone carrying two devices that can play games.
You can't possibly be comparing mobile games to the likes of 3DS/Vita games.

Plus, it's already proven to be working - 50 million 3DS sales shows there is still a handheld business. What Koolaid are you drinking?
Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
squadz wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 11:03 am

Plus, it's already proven to be working - 50 million 3DS sales shows there is still a handheld business. What Koolaid are you drinking?
50m sounds like a lot until you realize that it's half of what the DS shipped at this point in the release cycle.
What makes it worse is that 3DS sales have just about flat-lined compared to the DS at the same point. The DS shipped ~11.5m units in the first half of its fifth year, the 3DS has shipped ~2.6m.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5093 posts
769 upvotes
calgary
Nintendo will continue to lose marketshare and users but I think a new portable will still be relevant. Nintendo games are almost tailor made for mobile and they have found a nice price point that is much less then a tablet but offers a lot of the same functionality. Netflix, youtube and games are the only thing my kids do on the Ipad and they can do that on a 2DS for literally 1/4 of the cost.

If they can somehow converge portable with home console I think thats a great move for Nintendo because I think theyve spread themselves too thin trying to develop games on both console and portable.
Aug 20, 2009
6901 posts
1588 upvotes
Grimsby
squadz wrote:

They need to keep developing market share with their target youth demo. Unfortunately many of them have turned to mobile platforms instead. Their sales with aging demographics are also slowing down over time as someone else mentioned. Rome isn't burning but its not as healthy a situation as you seem to think.

Also this idea that Nintendo has an endless supply of cash thanks to the Wii and can just coast forever is wrong as well. They have a significant burn rate and spent a lot of that war chest on the Wii U. They have room for failure but they need to start making better decisions, investors aren't going to be happy and let them ride on previous accomplishments forever.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
2682 posts
362 upvotes
BC
Redmask wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 12:56 pm
They need to keep developing market share with their target youth demo. Unfortunately many of them have turned to mobile platforms instead. Their sales with aging demographics are also slowing down over time as someone else mentioned. Rome isn't burning but its not as healthy a situation as you seem to think.

Also this idea that Nintendo has an endless supply of cash thanks to the Wii and can just coast forever is wrong as well. They have a significant burn rate and spent a lot of that war chest on the Wii U. They have room for failure but they need to start making better decisions, investors aren't going to be happy and let them ride on previous accomplishments forever.
Surely Nintendo has enough money to stay operating for decades, but consumer mind share is more important. If they bomb the next console like the WiiU or the one after that they might change their business model. I welcome Nintendo games on my ps5 :p
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2009
4770 posts
205 upvotes
Guelph
i would hope nintendo realizes all this and makes a "nintendo" system that equals or excceds the computing power of the PS4 and xbox one while being more friendly for 3rd party companies to make games on.

having said that, the NX wont be like the wii or wii u (according to nintendo CEO), i think its fair to say that the gimmicks will be gone (hopefully). i prefer a keyboard and mouse or a controller, vs motion control. some motion control is ok like the accelerometer when moving a controller. the wii u pad that acts like a screen is also kinda gimmicky, kinda useful i guess. but prefer more something like a xbox controller.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
brandonl wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 9:57 pm
i would hope nintendo realizes all this and makes a "nintendo" system that equals or excceds the computing power of the PS4 and xbox one while being more friendly for 3rd party companies to make games on.
I think so too. Maybe it's better to just create a "traditional" console with power at least equal PS4. That way third-party developers will have an easy time porting the game over without have to make drastic compromises and reworking to the games code to fit a weaker power envelope (which costs both time and money). I remember Project Cars - they had every intention of releasing on Wii U, but the time and cost of getting the game to run on it, with the compromises that had to be made, were not worth it, and they abandoned the prospect. I recall reading somewhere that the best they were getting was something like 20 fps at 720p. I'm sure other developers see the same issues and simply avoid even making the attempt.
brandonl wrote:
Dec 4th, 2015 9:57 pm

having said that, the NX wont be like the wii or wii u (according to nintendo CEO), i think its fair to say that the gimmicks will be gone (hopefully). i prefer a keyboard and mouse or a controller, vs motion control. some motion control is ok like the accelerometer when moving a controller. the wii u pad that acts like a screen is also kinda gimmicky, kinda useful i guess. but prefer more something like a xbox controller.
Found this about a new patent, maybe related? Sounds strange - seems to suggest their new handheld will be used with a "console" when within range - almost like Wii U except picture the gamepad as their new handheld.
http://www.techinsider.io/nintendo-nx-p ... os-2015-12

“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2011
3049 posts
625 upvotes
squadz wrote:

Yes, I am. Like it or not. To me they're are the same, a form of entertainment. Like someone already said, 50 million over 5 years is nothing compared to what the previous Nintendo handheld sold for that same period. Next time you are outdoors, take a look at what kids today are using to play games. Their mommy/daddy cellphones.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1781 posts
471 upvotes
Toronto
wal3145 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2015 9:52 am
Yes, I am. Like it or not. To me they're are the same, a form of entertainment. Like someone already said, 50 million over 5 years is nothing compared to what the previous Nintendo handheld sold for that same period. Next time you are outdoors, take a look at what kids today are using to play games. Their mommy/daddy cellphones.
+1

Besides, mobile can produce quality games too. Lara Croft Go beat out Monster Hunter 4 and other titles to be the best handheld game at the Game Awards this year.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6938 posts
1824 upvotes
Nintendo filed a patent for a controller made out of a touchscreen.
This is not a good sign at all if this is the idea for the NX's main controller. Although, companies do file
patents for designs that never do get implemented. Hopefully this is not what Nintendo's plan
for the NX entails. Buttons are important.

Going for a mobile type interface would be atrocious.
It would be hard to win back 3rd party developer support with another controller gimmick on the NX.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1154552

http://www.engadget.com/2015/12/13/nint ... ad-patent/

Deal Addict
Nov 4, 2006
2332 posts
513 upvotes
GVR
I really hope this isn't what they end up going with.
I think a console that has that as the controller could end up destroying Nintendo's console business.
Deal Addict
May 6, 2006
2059 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
If that patent turns out to be true, it'll the 3rd try with Nintendo going for a gimmicky controller type device.
My XBL/PSN: evilenger
Aug 20, 2009
6901 posts
1588 upvotes
Grimsby
No tactile feedback is a big no-no for me but I will wait and see what the implementation is. Companies file weird patents all the time, sometimes even for misinformation purposes with competitors.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2214 posts
284 upvotes
I'm pretty sure that patent is being renewed, not filed. I swear I've seen those diagrams before.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)