PC & Video Games

Nintendo Switch (Project NX) Console Thread.

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 15th, 2019 9:54 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
http://ca.ign.com/articles/2016/06/22/w ... world-game

An example of Nintendo being downright out-of-touch with the industry. Bill Trenten on why Zelda will be marketed "Open Air" instead of an open world game. I look at this game and I see a world that is fully integrated into the exploration and the adventure,” he continued. “It’s not just a world that you’re passing through. It’s sort of a world that you’re a part of. So much of the adventure and exploration is in this outdoor space, and the theme of wilderness collectively seemed like 'Open Air' was the right fit for it.

Of course, Zelda is the first game to do all this. ;)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Jun 21st, 2016 9:49 pm
I still find it weird that people had issues with storage. However, all my games were physical, there's no reason to buy the Nintendo games digitally.

That being said, my PS4s storage needs to be cleaned every week.
I don't know what you find weird about it.

8 GB is too little once you add patches for two AAA games like Smash and Mario Kart 8. Xenoblade's texture pack is 10 GB!

32 GB is too little for more than 2 or 3 digital Wii U games.

Just because had your games all physical did not everyone went the same way. Nintendo also provided some full length games free via Mario Kart 8 promo and Club Nintendo.
A game like DKC Tropical Freeze was a free offer and that was 10 GB.
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 6:20 pm

An example of Nintendo being downright out-of-touch with the industry. Bill Trenten on why Zelda will be marketed "Open Air" instead of an open world game. I look at this game and I see a world that is fully integrated into the exploration and the adventure,” he continued. “It’s not just a world that you’re passing through. It’s sort of a world that you’re a part of. So much of the adventure and exploration is in this outdoor space, and the theme of wilderness collectively seemed like 'Open Air' was the right fit for it.

So Nintendo is out of touch because he doesn't want the game to just be open world, but more?

Oh no. What a terrible company. Someone please stop them!
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 6:24 pm
I don't know what you find weird about it.

8 GB is too little once you add patches for two AAA games like Smash and Mario Kart 8. Xenoblade's texture pack is 10 GB!

32 GB is too little for more than 2 or 3 digital Wii U games.

Just because had your games all physical did not everyone went the same way. Nintendo also provided some full length games free via Mario Kart 8 promo and Club Nintendo.
A game like DKC Tropical Freeze was a free offer and that was 10 GB.
Guess I never had the problems everyone else had.

I might be a genius, discovering that you can delete games when you're done with them.

Crazy!
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18331 posts
1583 upvotes
heywhatsmyname wrote:

I guess they're learning to make something similar to Apple's reality distortion field.
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 6:39 pm
Guess I never had the problems everyone else had.

I might be a genius, discovering that you can delete games when you're done with them.

Crazy!
Yeah, why don't we all just stick with 8 GB smartphones too. :facepalm:
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 6:38 pm
So Nintendo is out of touch because he doesn't want the game to just be open world, but more?

Oh no. What a terrible company. Someone please stop them!
Open world is open world. Nintendo is not doing anything that other companies have not done in the past.

You really get worked up if someone critiques Nintendo, eh?
Temp. Banned
Aug 7, 2011
6623 posts
986 upvotes
Vaughan
heywhatsmyname wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 6:48 pm
Open world is open world. Nintendo is not doing anything that other companies have not done in the past.

You really get worked up if someone critiques Nintendo, eh?
Everyone gets worked up when I critique Sony, it's only fair to be the Nintendo defender :)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1780 posts
465 upvotes
Toronto
squadz wrote:
Jun 22nd, 2016 6:51 pm
Everyone gets worked up when I critique Sony, it's only fair to be the Nintendo defender :)
Ironically the guy who sold his Wii U is the defender of all things Wii U! :razz:

Well either way, you are doing a better job than the people at Nintendo of America!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 12, 2006
6360 posts
2167 upvotes
Canada
heywhatsmyname wrote:

Their arrogance will be their downfall ... some will say they have already fallen, and they are just too arrogant to see it.
Aug 20, 2009
6888 posts
1585 upvotes
Grimsby
I think they've got another shot. I just hope they don't end up making phone shovelware or something. Nintendo is big part of my favorite hobby, I really don't want to see them fail. That said they need to get back to the basics and some form of platform parity when it comes to stuff like multiplayer frameworks, account structures and so on.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20006 posts
3907 upvotes
Poormond Hill
The only way the NX will succeed is if, not only third parties support it, but also Nintendo support them by providing a console that is just as capable as the PS4/The One. Even a bigger concern is if gamers support the third parties by buying the games.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Aug 20, 2009
6888 posts
1585 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't disagree, it will be interesting to see what happens when they announce. I'm not sure any console can make it on exclusives alone anymore, people expect a ton of functionality and third party compatibility out of the box. The few people like me who are willing to own multiple consoles to get a Nintendo fix doesn't seem to be sustaining them in sales anymore. Anyways I still root for Nintendo even if the Wii U was a big disappointment.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2116 posts
606 upvotes
Edmonton
They sure know how to build excitement ... what the heck are they working on?
"In terms of NX, there's an idea that we're working on," said "Super Mario" and "Donkey Kong" creator Shigeru Miyamoto through a Japanese translator. "That's why we can't share anything at this point, and I don't want to comment on the other companies. If it was just a matter of following advancements in technology, things would be coming out a lot quicker."
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/eee6b9be ... e-consoles

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)