• Jan 13th, 2024 6:42 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
ReeGee wrote: Pretty much. I'm looking forward to getting a Switch at some point but with the only major releases already being on WiiU there's not much reason to yet
The switch actually got me to buy a Wii U, two actually. I'll collect the games eventually, but the softmod abilities and uncensoring/original japanese voice tracks are great.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
Whats the best way to find a switch these days in Toronto? Do the "nowinstock" website work best or is it better to call/check stores in person for stock?
Nov 19, 2016
37 posts
20 upvotes
Markham
Nowinstock isn't as reliable as people make it to be.. I gave up, past three weeks of calling stores and physically walking into stores. No results.

I refuse to pay scalpers, scum who caused the situation a lot of real fans are in now.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes
JoeyW001 wrote: Nowinstock isn't as reliable as people make it to be.. I gave up, past three weeks of calling stores and physically walking into stores. No results.

I refuse to pay scalpers, scum who caused the situation a lot of real fans are in now.
I won't pay scalpers either, but I can wait. I don't have time to call around and check tons of stores. I guess I pass by a few shoppers so I'll try to check in with those occasionally. Hopefully with Mario kart coming out there will be a bunch of stockpiled up to release at the same time.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
Im surprised MK8D is scoring so much higher then MK8 did considering they are practically the same game with a revised battle mode.

My suspicion is that simply having this on a portable system (of this quality) attributes to a higher level of enjoyment, this seems like a really good type of game to play in short bursts. This is actually making me consider double dipping on this game (though battle mode is a pretty big deal in my household too).

The reason I say this is I don't think I would have enjoyed Zelda as much as I did (or had as much opportunity to play it) if it wasn't for the Switchs portable mode.
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3651 posts
1429 upvotes
BC
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Im surprised MK8D is scoring so much higher then MK8 did considering they are practically the same game with a revised battle mode.

My suspicion is that simply having this on a portable system (of this quality) attributes to a higher level of enjoyment, this seems like a really good type of game to play in short bursts. This is actually making me consider double dipping on this game (though battle mode is a pretty big deal in my household too).

The reason I say this is I don't think I would have enjoyed Zelda as much as I did (or had as much opportunity to play it) if it wasn't for the Switchs portable mode.
Having owned a Switch and recently now own a Wii U, I think it's the Nintendo hype train causing high scores. I beat BOTW and for me it's not a perfect game, lots of flaws. It's good, great even but not amazing or perfect. If you only played BOTW for 20 hours or less, you might think it's better than it is though. After watching the digital foundry video, I find it really hard to believe the Mario kart I play on the Wii U is suddenly a 94 game.

Personally, I'd rather play these games on my big tv or projector with my home theatre.
Aug 20, 2009
9827 posts
5934 upvotes
Zelda is certainly not a perfect game but I think it warrants the scores. The only things I can fault it are enemy variety and lack of more in depth dungeons. Beyond that it is a pretty outstanding game and I've logged way more than 20 hours in it. I'm also fairly critical of Nintendo where appropriate but they just knocked it out of the park. It does so many things right and will help reinvigorate and inspire a tired open world format for years to come.

Personally I won't double dip on MK8 but the Wii U had so few owners that I can't really fault them for a re-release. The scores there make sense in that context too IMO.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Yeah, I find the MK8 scores fairly suspect personally. I mean, I like Mario Kart and MK8 is a good game, but a port of a last gen effort at full price? That's an awfully difficult sell in my mind, even with battle mode. I guess it could be argued that no one buying a Wii U has something to do with it. I don't remember what podcast I was listening to recently, but they were talking about how in a lot of peoples headspace Nintendo's consoles may well go Wii to Switch with no consideration/acknowledgment of the Wii U. I mean if you didn't buy one, and no one you know well bought one, it may as well not exist.

BotW I don't have as much an issue with. It's not perfect and the scores should reflect that, but even if they did it's not like they would fall appreciably and I can see a lot of sources that only score in increments of 5% scoring it high enough to round up.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote: I guess it could be argued that no one buying a Wii U has something to do with it. I don't remember what podcast I was listening to recently, but they were talking about how in a lot of peoples headspace Nintendo's consoles may well go Wii to Switch with no consideration/acknowledgment of the Wii U. I mean if you didn't buy one, and no one you know well bought one, it may as well not exist.
I'm not sure I agree with this implication that Mario Kart 8 for WiiU was some niche title that hardly anyone played. It's literally the most successful WiiU title with over 8 million sales. Sure that's not COD or GTA numbers but it's a significant amount of sales given the platform it was released on. I doubt MK8D for switch sells even half what the WiiU version did, especially not at full price. Most people who are interested in owning this on Switch probably already bought and played it on WiiU and will hesitate to buy it again at full price
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2398 posts
397 upvotes
Consider that Mario Kart DS sold 23.6 million units, Wii sold 36.83 million, and 7 sold 14.82 million. I don't think it's a stretch to think that a fair number of people that would be interested in Mario Kart haven't bought/played 8 as a direct result of the Wii U being... well, the Wii U.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote: Consider that Mario Kart DS sold 23.6 million units, Wii sold 36.83 million, and 7 sold 14.82 million. I don't think it's a stretch to think that a fair number of people that would be interested in Mario Kart haven't bought/played 8 as a direct result of the Wii U being... well, the Wii U.
Hmm good point but I think it's worth noting that interest in Nintendo consoles and games has been on a steady decline since those games and although 14 million people bought Mario Kart 7 for 3DS 6 years ago, that doesn't necessarily mean that many people are interested in buying a Mario Kart 8 or a Switch
Last edited by ReeGee on Apr 24th, 2017 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
I agree, I fully expect MK8D to outsell MK8 when all is said and done because I think a lot of people that didnt pick up a WiiU are or are planning to pick up a Switch at some point int time. Plus most of the diehards who purchased the WiiU version are in all likelihood getting this anyways. Plus I think there is value in this for Switch Owners who also own it on WiiU and it comes at a time where most people have finished Zelda and are looking for something else to play.

Also Zelda may not be perfect (what game is?) but I just finished it over the weekend and its probably one of my top 5 favorite games of all time and did a number of things to redefine that genre. I cant even remember the last time I invested 80+ hours in a non-mulitplayer game, its possible that this is the first time.
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
39338 posts
6341 upvotes
Winnipeg
Ren wrote: The switch actually got me to buy a Wii U, two actually. I'll collect the games eventually, but the softmod abilities and uncensoring/original japanese voice tracks are great.
wiiU is so hard to find these days, might as well use emulator
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
9849 posts
7803 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote: I agree, I fully expect MK8D to outsell MK8 when all is said and done because I think a lot of people that didnt pick up a WiiU are or are planning to pick up a Switch at some point int time. Plus most of the diehards who purchased the WiiU version are in all likelihood getting this anyways. Plus I think there is value in this for Switch Owners who also own it on WiiU and it comes at a time where most people have finished Zelda and are looking for something else to play.
For MK8D to outsell MK8, over 10 million people would need to buy a Switch a first and that's assuming most or all those Switch owners will buy the game as well which probably isn't realistic. I'm not sure I would buy it when/if I get a Switch as I already have nearly 100 hours logged in MK8 for WiiU. The online play was also the hook for me so having a portable version to play offline against the AI isn't really appealing to me. Obviously that doesn't matter for people who never played it on WiiU and intend to play MK8D online at home, but I doubt that amounts to more than what the WiiU version sold
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
6673 posts
2688 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote: For MK8D to outsell MK8, over 10 million people would need to buy a Switch a first and that's assuming most or all those Switch owners will buy the game as well which probably isn't realistic. I'm not sure I would buy it when/if I get a Switch as I already have nearly 100 hours logged in MK8 for WiiU. The online play was also the hook for me so having a portable version to play offline against the AI isn't really appealing to me. Obviously that doesn't matter for people who never played it on WiiU and intend to play MK8D online at home, but I doubt that amounts to more than what the WiiU version sold
I think we can reasonably assume based on early sales numbers and consumer interest that the Switch is likely going to outsell the WiiU by at least 2:1 and most likely more, just by virtue of having a larger playerbase I think its a given its going to sell more even if the attach rate cannot match the WiiU's.

WiiU sales were practically dead in the water after 2 month, IRRC they actually posted negative sales numbers or very close to negative in January due to all the returns from scalpers. Switch is almost 2 months old and still unavailable to just walk in and buy.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
4244 posts
316 upvotes
Switch games don't actually launch at midnight on the eShop, do they? I'm pretty excited about puyo puyo tbh.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2310 posts
1068 upvotes
Toronto
I think it makes sense that Mario Kart 8: Deluxe is scoring very higher than Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U.

Mario Kart 8 was generally seen as one of the best Mario Kart games with the exception of a lousy battle mode. Nintendo fixed that and made some minor tweaks. All the DLC is included and the Switch is overall is more enjoyable to use than the Wii U. That could contribute to the bump from 88 to 94 on Metacritic.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11822 posts
5908 upvotes
MK8 Deluxe has 48 race tracks. The original vanilla Mario Kart 8 without the DLC has 32 race tracks in total.
The DLC on the Wii U costs $30 USD to add the 16 tracks, Link, Dry Bowser and the two Animal Crossing characters.

MK8 Deluxe adds Battle mode which is supposed to be a staple in the series.
It has 6 unique stages and is a mode that is missing completely from MK8 Wii U, even if you bought all the Wii U DLC content.

Plus being able to carry 2 items at a time in races makes a big difference in the gameplay since the strategy opens up with more options.

King Boo, Bowser Jr, and Inkling Boy and Girl are also new characters that are absent from the Wii U version.
Deluxe fixes the buggy frame pacing issue that was never addressed on the Wii U version. (Wii U version runs at 59-60 fps which creates some hiccups since it is not a locked 60 fps).
SpicYMchaggis wrote: Im surprised MK8D is scoring so much higher then MK8 did considering they are practically the same game with a revised battle mode.

Plus the fire-hopping cheating technique where you can unfairly gain additional speed boosts by hopping back and fourth during a mini-speed boost
has been eliminated in the Switch version but is still present in the Wii U version.

http://kotaku.com/looks-like-mario-kart ... 1794453174

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)