None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5252 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:00 am
I don't think it's too widespread FWIW, just normal defects like any electronics launch. The joycon thing was annoying but I don't use them anyway so /shrug. I think that was addressed in manufacturing too.
LightYagami wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:18 pm
Only hardware issue I had was the left joycon issue, sent it to Nintendo, only took a few days to get back. Process was pretty simple.

Everything else has been great. Pro controller is fine, no other issues.

(five people I know have the Switch, not a single one has issues - not even the joycon)
How about the dock scratching the screen and wifi connection quality? I would hope the joy con thing isn't an issue with new units at this point
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
771 upvotes
Grimsby
I never take mine out of the dock but it doesn't seem to be a reliably produced issue anyway, I think that was always a few isolated cases of people being dumb. The Wifi connection could certainly be better but you can say the same of the launch PS4. It works alright but is sensitive to interference.

Anyways if there are games you want to play right now then I wouldn't let a few isolated hardware issues stop you. Alternatively just wait a bit, its Nintendo, we all know there will be a new revision in 2 years and then some limited editions and yadda yadda :)
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1680 posts
431 upvotes
Toronto
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 1:31 pm
How about the dock scratching the screen and wifi connection quality? I would hope the joy con thing isn't an issue with new units at this point
If you get a Switch I would suggest grabbing a screen protector. It's more shatter proof than smartphone screens but less scratch proof. Your dock may or may not scratch the screen. Especially if you take the Switch in and out from the dock a lot.

The Switch does have poor wi-fi. I don't think we will see a solution from Nintendo until a redesign. Be prepared for slow downloads on the eShop. Mario Kart 8 plays well online though.

Like every Nintendo device, you have to see if the games you want to play outweigh the hardware flaws.
Apr 16, 2017
151 posts
156 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 1:31 pm
No scratching whatsoever. I bought the Orzly screen protector a month ago (tempered glass) and nothing on that either. I have no idea how rough people are with their consoles, but no issues with mine.

Wifi connection quality is a small issue. My Switch is connected via USB to Ethernet, so I don't face that issue at home, but on the go it's a slight issue. Have no idea how it would affect multiplayer, I doubt it's an issue. Really, the only issue I've had with Wifi was when I was trying to connect to a Hilton wifi and it wouldn't let me.

Otherwise it's been fine.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5252 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks dudes. I'm looking at November-December at the earliest to play Odyssey assuming it turns out as good as I think it'll be. Hopefully by then the joy con thing will be fixed if it isn't already and I guess I'll just have to get a screen protector because I do intend to use it on the go more than at home
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2036 posts
190 upvotes
The left Joycon issue was already fixed at the production level. People have already torn down Joycons bought separate of the system and found a revised PCB.

I've seen a decent number of complaints about the Wifi connection, but mine is fine. Substantially better than my Wii U and PS4 at least. I haven't felt a need to wire it thus far.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4787 posts
616 upvotes
calgary
My wi-fi basically stops working when I'm like 10 feet from my router.

Its terrible but I dont think its something they are going to fix as I feel this has been the case for every Nintendo product Ive owned that used Wifi.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
5926 posts
771 upvotes
Grimsby
ReeGee wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:12 pm
Thanks dudes. I'm looking at November-December at the earliest to play Odyssey assuming it turns out as good as I think it'll be. Hopefully by then the joy con thing will be fixed if it isn't already and I guess I'll just have to get a screen protector because I do intend to use it on the go more than at home
Make sure you get a portable charger of some sort if you're doing long commutes. I think your timing is good, hopefully the stock issues will be sorted out. I've been seeing a lot more pop up in stock online so I think they're getting there finally.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2036 posts
190 upvotes
I can't recommoned this power bank highly enough. It extends the Switch battery life by more than five hours, it will charge while playing, it's small, and its inexpensive.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
6783 posts
342 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:57 pm
I can't recommoned this power bank highly enough. It extends the Switch battery life by more than five hours, it will charge while playing, it's small, and its inexpensive.
That battery pack doesnt support Qualcomm Quick Charge and it only outpuits 2.4 max. Sure its enough to charge and play at same time?

Looking at a battery pack as ill be going cross country with my kids and we need the switch for entertainment on down time.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5252 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 2:28 pm
Make sure you get a portable charger of some sort if you're doing long commutes. I think your timing is good, hopefully the stock issues will be sorted out. I've been seeing a lot more pop up in stock online so I think they're getting there finally.
How long does it last typically? I usually play my 3DS an hour each way and it'll last 2-3 days before I need to charge
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5252 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:04 pm
~3 hours. Same as the launch 3DS.
damn that seems pretty low. How about with 50-75% brightness and does it still look good in handheld mode then?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)