Dec 11, 2006
2183 posts
238 upvotes
Ajax
XFactor11 wrote:
Oct 11th, 2017 7:35 pm
Nintendo released their first commercial for Super Mario Odyssey

The first early review for Super Mario Odyssey is in:

Edge magazine gave Super Mario Oddyssey a 10/10 perfect score, making it only the 20th game to receive a perfect score from that publication.
The other 2017 game to receive a 10/10 score from Edge is The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.
Not shocking as Edge always gives Nintendo 10 even when it's not necessarily warranted. Those folks are in their 40's+ and have a soft spot for the big N.

Although I gave the game a whirl today at my local Toys R Us and was pleasantly surprised. Enough so that a Switch may make its way under the Christmas tree.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5252 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
I was just playing Mario 3D world for the last 2 hours and man I forgot how god damn great that game is. The visuals, level design, music, it's all amazing. That game was the reason I got a WiiU and I definitely want a Switch for Odyssey. I got my WiiU and 3D World for so cheap at the time though and I dunno how I feel about spending over $500 for a Switch and Odyssey right now
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2183 posts
238 upvotes
Ajax
ReeGee wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 11:19 pm
I was just playing Mario 3D world for the last 2 hours and man I forgot how god damn great that game is. The visuals, level design, music, it's all amazing. That game was the reason I got a WiiU and I definitely want a Switch for Odyssey. I got my WiiU and 3D World for so cheap at the time though and I dunno how I feel about spending over $500 for a Switch and Odyssey right now
Maybe the big N will reduce for the holidays but don't count on it
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5252 posts
1694 upvotes
Toronto
mrtvgame wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 3:21 pm
Maybe the big N will reduce for the holidays but don't count on it
I don't expect they will as there's no reason for it. A year into WiiU launch and people were already calling it a "failure", and it was easy to find bundles for cheap. I spent just under $300 all in for the deluxe console with NSMB U, 3D World and Nintendo Land. Will probably be another year or two before we see Switch deals like that
Aug 28, 2007
528 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone know if there will be any midnight launches for Odyssey?
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2049 posts
567 upvotes
Edmonton
Wtf, Nov 1st for my Amazon.ca pre-order. I don’t know why I even try to pre-order from there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5961 posts
1269 upvotes
Super Mario Odyssey has a 97 metacritic average review score thus far, tying it with
The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild for 2017's highest reviewed game.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/switch/s ... ic-reviews

Digital Foundry did their analysis:

Summary of it by chandoog of neogaf:
Article:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... its-limits

- First Exploration based 3D Mario to run at 60 FPS.
- Attention to detail commended
- Distant animations updates at a lower rate (30 FPS, and 20 FPS at even further distances)
- Distant characters are 2D sprites and swap to 3D when near.
- Docked: Dynamic resolution, ranges from 900p to 720p and motion blur is rendered at quarter resolution.Visible artifacts in shadows.
- Portable: Standing still: 720p, on all moving objects 640x720p. Bloom lighting appears stronger in portable mode. Scenery detail pops in closer in portable mode.
- Both versions run at stable 60 FPS.
- Small pockets of slowdowns exhibited in certain places, mostly in busy environments.
- Portable drops in the same areas but runs slightly more smoother on average.
Last edited by XFactor11 on Oct 26th, 2017 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 26, 2004
66 posts
8 upvotes
Vancouver
Also ordered on Amazon.ca. I got notification yesterday that I'd be receiving it Nov 1 - 2. Couldn't believe it! Anyways I did the one-day shipping for $3.99 and now it's out for delivery and I should get it tomorrow. I plan on emailing Amazon after I get it and getting them to refund the $3.99. I shouldn't have to use a faster, more expensive shipping option to get it on release day.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
5961 posts
1269 upvotes
Amazon Prime has been dropping the ball lately. I pre-ordered from an independent store and got the game early.
I rather have it early or on time than get the 10-20% discount and have it be a few days or a week late for the major releases I am anticipating.
ElectricBrain wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:12 pm
Also ordered on Amazon.ca. I got notification yesterday that I'd be receiving it Nov 1 - 2. Couldn't believe it! Anyways I did the one-day shipping for $3.99 and now it's out for delivery and I should get it tomorrow. I plan on emailing Amazon after I get it and getting them to refund the $3.99. I shouldn't have to use a faster, more expensive shipping option to get it on release day.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2003
1939 posts
174 upvotes
Burlington, ON
New Switch owner here and looking for some advice.

I don't plan to travel out of the house a ton with this thing but I definitely will at times and as such am looking for a case for it. There seems to be a million options already so trying to pick one isn't easy. I don't want to spend a fortune and just hope to find something that provides some protection and is still nice and small for transport. Ideally a pocket for some games and a charge cable would be great.

I'm also wondering if I should be buying a screen protector for it? I tend to put them on everything so I assume this is no different. I prefer Zagg but it appears they don't make a Switch protector. Any recommendations on a decent one would be great. I hate bubbles so a wet application is something I tend to prefer.

Any other accessories I need to be keeping an eye out for?
Deal Addict
May 19, 2005
3294 posts
352 upvotes
Markham
ForbiddenX wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 12:01 am
Anyone know if there will be any midnight launches for Odyssey?
Amazon always says the following Monday for me but have so far always delivered on the Friday. It current has a status of “preparing for shipment” with a delivery date of Nov 1-3.

It better come tomorrow. I ordered this one in JANUARY!
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Feb 17, 2014
23 posts
6 upvotes
Kenora
Amazon also shows nov 1-3 for me. I have faith it will come tomorrow. My Peach, MARIO and Bowser Amiibo have shipped.. should have them tomorrow.