None
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4844 posts
649 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 12:52 pm
It's not just about resolution though. The XL was a far better device due to all around better design choices, the "New" even better than that for obvious reasons. Portable resolution isn't the Switch's only issue either, it's just one more nagging issue on top of others. I'm glad I was able to sell my original 3DS and upgrade, but I'd rather not go through that hassle again with the Switch, especially when it costs 2x more. I have a feeling the inevitable improved Switch will be so much better that people will have a very hard time selling the current ones.
I don't know if we'll see a 3DS style improvement to the Switch. Looking at Nintendo's past they have done very little to improve on the home console, they did nothing with the WiiU and only had minor cosmetic things with the Wii and gamecube. Also I'd be curious what sort of improvements one could actually expect. There are a number of physical design limitations due to probably wanting to keep the controllers forward/backwards compatible.

Id be totally shocked if they made it "faster" SKU ala the "new" 3DS pr PS4Pro/XB1X given how pointless the former was and how much the latter rely's on patches and developers returning to older titles. As a result I don't think we'll see a higher resolution screen on that thing any time soon.

Outside of the crap Wifi most of the other issues just came down to manufacturing defects (ie disconnecting joycons, dock scratching the screen) which have been resolved for the most part.

The only thing I can maybe seem them doing (outside of a minor refresh and different color variety s) is maybe introducing seperate SKU's for home and portable. IE. a box without the screen or the tablet sans dock but then I thought all along the smart play would be to make a cheap tablet less version of the WiiU and we never saw that either.
Nov 14, 2017
48 posts
17 upvotes
Haven't had any issues with the Switch hardware wise.

Rocket League looked terrible portable, so I refunded it. Xenoblade looked meh, but good enough if I ever want to play on the go. There's obviously going to be short comings, you can't expect PS4 level quality on the go - minus first party Nintendo games which shows how they're magicians.

If Nintendo comes out with a new SKU in 2019, I'll happily buy it. 2 years out of my console would be fine for me. I can see why someone would be annoyed if they buy the system in December 2018 though - but I mean, if you waited that long, only yourself to blame.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2040 posts
190 upvotes
XC2 looks alright for the most part. Not good, not terrible. It propped up by how detailed and intricate its art direction (generally) is. The city that features heavily in Digital Foundry's video is a noticeable sore spot for the games performance in general. None of the other cities in the game, including some that are much larger and denser, perform as badly.

And I don't think we'll get a substantive Switch hardware refresh. The gap between the portable mode on the original hardware and the docked mode on the refreshed hardware would likely be a huge problem.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5347 posts
1740 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:38 pm
I don't know if we'll see a 3DS style improvement to the Switch. Looking at Nintendo's past they have done very little to improve on the home console, they did nothing with the WiiU and only had minor cosmetic things with the Wii and gamecube. Also I'd be curious what sort of improvements one could actually expect. There are a number of physical design limitations due to probably wanting to keep the controllers forward/backwards compatible.

Id be totally shocked if they made it "faster" SKU ala the "new" 3DS pr PS4Pro/XB1X given how pointless the former was and how much the latter rely's on patches and developers returning to older titles. As a result I don't think we'll see a higher resolution screen on that thing any time soon.

Outside of the crap Wifi most of the other issues just came down to manufacturing defects (ie disconnecting joycons, dock scratching the screen) which have been resolved for the most part.

The only thing I can maybe seem them doing (outside of a minor refresh and different color variety s) is maybe introducing seperate SKU's for home and portable. IE. a box without the screen or the tablet sans dock but then I thought all along the smart play would be to make a cheap tablet less version of the WiiU and we never saw that either.
The WiiU never got a refresh because it was considered a "failure" and wasn't actually portable the way the Switch is. The Switch is a hot seller and is actually portable so I think a refresh will come sooner than you guys think. I wouldn't be surprised if they announce it at E3 2018 or earlier.
I'm not a fan of the current dock design and cheap scratch prone screen and while I'm not expecting Pro/X levels of hardware upgrade or any upgrade in docked mode for that matter, I'd like to see portable boosted to maintain 720p or close at all times. I would hope the joycon connection, wifi and scratching issues have been resolved in manufacturing by now, but I'm not in a rush to gamble on it either and can wait for something better. If nothing better comes along then I'll just buy it when it's way cheaper and there are more games.
Ascott wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:06 pm
And I don't think we'll get a substantive Switch hardware refresh. The gap between the portable mode on the original hardware and the docked mode on the refreshed hardware would likely be a huge problem.
I don't think a hardware spec refresh for docked mode is nessecary, just the design of the dock itself. I do think a hardware spec refresh for portable mode is nessecary though, especially if they want third party games to matter in the long run. Otherwise it's going to be yet another same old "nintendo games only" platform which is actually fine with me, but just not at the current price.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 20, 2009
6036 posts
820 upvotes
Grimsby
I rarely use mine undocked anyway. In fact I can barely stand using the thing without the Pro controller, my hands cramp up after 20-30 minutes with the joycons. I basically just bought it for exclusives and TV docked mode. Pretty happy with the price to performance so far but I would not want to see a new SKU so soon and I highly doubt they would do that.

They have A LOT to do in terms of improving the OS and overall software platform over the next year.