None
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
2201 posts
916 upvotes
Burlington
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 14th, 2018 10:20 am
I got Doom for Switch for Christmas. Once you get over the graphical sacrifices they had to get it on the Switch (not a big deal to me) it’s just a blast to play.

I’ve had just as much fun with Doom as anything else on the Switch. I would recommend it to you guys that like old school shooters. You can actually pick it up and play for 10 minutes and put it down. I highly recommend it.
No chance the Switch version is better than my 144hz G-sync monitor PC version Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
1755 posts
593 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 9:32 am
No chance the Switch version is better than my 144hz G-sync monitor PC version Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes.
But can you play your version on the train? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I may actually buy it again when it’s super cheap on PC to see how good it actually looks (I have a decent rig, gtx1080).
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
OldMarriedGuy wrote:
Jan 15th, 2018 11:14 am
But can you play your version on the train? Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes

I may actually buy it again when it’s super cheap on PC to see how good it actually looks (I have a decent rig, gtx1080).
The question you should be asking is can you play it on the toilet? LOL

Doom has been pretty cheap on PC many times lately. I first played it on PC and then switched (no pun intended) over to playing on Xbox One S and was instantly disappointed and the Xbox runs the game at a higher resolution than the Switch. Doom plays much better on my new Xbox One X and even better on the PC, You won't be disappointed. Doom is one of my favorite games and 2016 GOTY.
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
The making of Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. Mostly just for fans of the game. Nice heartwarming story.

Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2136 posts
228 upvotes
Nintendo just announced... Labo. A conceptually neat way of using the IR camera on the Joycon, but not something I can see being successful at all. Way too expensive and disposable looking.

Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
719 upvotes
calgary
Ascott wrote:
Jan 17th, 2018 5:18 pm
Nintendo just announced... Labo. A conceptually neat way of using the IR camera on the Joycon, but not something I can see being successful at all. Way too expensive and disposable looking.

My kids are gonna flip out over this and as a parent there is a lot to like about this.

I think this has potential to do incredibly well.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2136 posts
228 upvotes
At $70USD per kit I just don't see it. It's not something your average soccer mom is going to be enthusiastic about putting together, and the whole "$70 for cardboard?!" thing isn't something I can see Nintendo really getting around.

Yeah, it looks cool. No doubt kids will want it. Hell, I sorta' want that robot one <.<, but I just can't see parents buying into it.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1711 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
Project Giant Robot for the Wii U turns into Nintendo Labo for the Switch!

I'm not sure it will do well though. I'm recalling the fate of uDraw game tablets.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6050 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
Ya a $70 cardboard gimmick for 10 year olds is exactly what I was looking for to sell me on this $400 handheld console. I guess we're really waiting until E3 for actual good games in 2018
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
719 upvotes
calgary
These types of build and play experiences are quite popular nowadays with kids and parents alike simply because kids think they are cool and there is a lot a youth can learn by putting something like this together and see all the different tech work together. Lego Boost and Meccano Robots were both pretty popular holiday toys, this to me is in that same market.

70$ is definitely on the expensive side something like this but I really don't think its price is a deal breaker. It's more the cost of this + a console for someone who sees that at a friends house where its a dealbreaker.

Even though its not something I would personally purchase I do love what Nintendo is doing here, and I do think this has a chance be a big hit for Nintendo and the possibilities are really endless here if it does catch on.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6050 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
I don't have kids but I don't think putting $70 worth of cardboard and a fragile cutting edge $400 handheld console in the hands of young kids is a good idea. The age group this looks targeted towards are generally careless and would probably destroy both in no time.
Aug 20, 2009
6529 posts
1192 upvotes
Grimsby
A $70 cardboard box. I mean...wow. I don't really know what to say.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6050 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 11:11 am
A $70 cardboard box. I mean...wow. I don't really know what to say.
I've seen it justified as a $60 game with $10 worth of cardboard but this game looks like the kind of shovelware the Wii was mocked for and I can't imagine the game being worth that price. I'd maybe check it out for $20 if it's actually any good
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
719 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:59 am
I don't have kids but I don't think putting $70 worth of cardboard and a fragile cutting edge $400 handheld console in the hands of young kids is a good idea. The age group this looks targeted towards are generally careless and would probably destroy both in no time.
I don't think this is much of an issue

First of all the Switch is incredibly durable, I can attest to that as mine has taken quite a beating thanks to my children and survived mostly unscathed. Nintendo knows their audience and as a result knows how to make a durable product.

Second most parents don't bat an eye at handing over their 500$+ phone or 500$+ tablet to their kids to watch netflix or play some educational game and those screens will shatter when dropped from 2 feet. I can also attest to this. Heck I've seen 8 year old with their own smartphone.
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 11:21 am
I've seen it justified as a $60 game with $10 worth of cardboard but this game looks like the kind of shovelware the Wii was mocked for and I can't imagine the game being worth that price. I'd maybe check it out for $20 if it's actually any good
Its funny I've seen a lot of comments like this all over the place. We are not the target audience for something like this.

Im guessing you probably wouldn't drop 50$ on a nerf gun either?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6050 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 11:27 am
First of all the Switch is incredibly durable, I can attest to that as mine has taken quite a beating thanks to my children and survived mostly unscathed. Nintendo knows their audience and as a result knows how to make a durable product.
I don't know if i'd call it durable when people report its own dock scratching the screen while suggesting purchase of third party casings and screen protectors as nessecary.
Perhaps for normal use letting a careless child use one is mostly harmless same as them using an expensive phone or tablet, but pulling the hardware in and out cardboard cutouts to do whatever the hell was going on in that video is not normal use and I can see stuff getting damaged much more easily.
Last edited by ReeGee on Jan 18th, 2018 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.