• Last Updated:
  • Aug 15th, 2018 11:51 am
Tags:
None
Aug 20, 2009
6529 posts
1192 upvotes
Grimsby
The nerf gun has a chance of surviving a first encounter with kids, I'm not so sure about the cardboard :)

But I see your point.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6050 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
Redmask wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 11:34 am
The nerf gun has a chance of surviving a first encounter with kids, I'm not so sure about the cardboard :)

But I see your point.
I bet those cardboard cutouts don't last more than a month in the hands of the average 8-10 year old
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5028 posts
719 upvotes
calgary
Redmask wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 11:34 am

But I see your point.
Yeah that's the biggest issue I see here,

I'm personally less concerned about the actual switch getting destroyed, it may be worth more but I've seen firsthand the kind of damage those things can handle.
I'd be far more concerned that the cardboard will be flattened or ripped within a week and the product will be useless. Heck I'd consider it a success if they assembled something like this without ripping the cardboard.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6050 posts
2157 upvotes
Toronto
To be honest I'm not even sure I could neatly assemble these cardboard structures or keep them in good shape for any extended amount time and I'm in my 30s
Deal Addict
May 9, 2007
1093 posts
285 upvotes
Nintendo wants to sell you CARDBOARD?? Smiling Face With Open MouthSmiling Face With Open MouthFace With Tears Of Joy

Imagine if Microsoft tried to pull this crap? You used to have these cutouts on the back of cereal boxes that you could cutout and put together and all it cost you was a box of cereal. Seriously people complained about Microsoft charging people for their cutting edge high tech Kinect but Nintendo wants to charge you for CARDBOARD? Genius!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2136 posts
228 upvotes
ReeGee wrote:
Jan 18th, 2018 10:59 am
The age group this looks targeted towards are generally careless and would probably destroy both in no time.
I think this is aimed at a 9-12 demo. Not sure it's a huge concern for that age group. I'm more concerned about the cardboard simply wearing out than being destroyed.

At any rate the broader reception to this seems more positive than I was expecting. Hands on from the UK event and the couple big Reddit topics are all good.
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18091 posts
1449 upvotes
So back in 2012...
https://mynintendonews.com/2012/08/13/p ... ndo-on-it/
I don’t think Nintendo fans are so stupid they would buy a piece of cardboard. A box on the other hand, that says Nintendo on it, they probably would. Remember when you were a kid and you get gifts, and when you’re really little you like the box better than the gift? That’s how I think of Nintendo fanboys
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Expert
Jul 29, 2003
18091 posts
1449 upvotes
XFactor11 wrote:
Jan 19th, 2018 12:16 am
The Nintendo Switch has become the fastest selling home gaming system ever in Canada.
This is just a week after the announcement that the Switch also set a new record as the fastest selling console in the USA as well.

http://nintendoeverything.com/switch-be ... in-canada/

https://gonintendo.com/system/file_uplo ... Canada.jpg
As noted 2 posts above yours... :razz:
R.I.P. Rick Rypien #37

For Sale:
shortened url's are not allowed
Deal Fanatic
Apr 30, 2003
7058 posts
521 upvotes
Toronto
I will definitely preorder LAbo.

Nintendo will sell extra cardboard pieces as they know its fragile.

Also expect 3rd party sellers to sell cardboard discounted replacements pieces as well.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2004
3025 posts
241 upvotes
Anyone know when preorders will be available in Canada? My son wants the variety set (and not the robot one, which surprises me).
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1922 posts
499 upvotes
I don't have a lot to add to this thread other than that the Switch has completely re-invigorated my love of gaming. The combination of portability with instant sleep/resume is such a killer app for a working, married adult. So many games that I would overlook because they are huge time sinks and require being tethered to a computer or couch can now be tackled in bite sized portions wherever I am. I was able to finish Xenoblade Chronicles over the span of multiple trans-Atlantic flights instead of watching shitty in-flight movies or scrolling through emails in the airport lounge. I can start a match in Battle Chef Brigade or tackle a bit of Darkest Dungeon while being right beside my wife when she watches some asinine J-drama. This is hands down my favourite console since the PS2.
Deal Addict
Jul 18, 2010
2086 posts
583 upvotes
Edmonton
Just picked up Doom in the curent sale. What an awesome game!!! I can't believe that I waited this long to pick it up :facepalm:

It runs really well on the Switch!

As I side benefit, I figured out that it's not 30fps gaming that I hate, it's actually motion blur. Turn that s*** down!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 21, 2004
8109 posts
722 upvotes
unshavenyak wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2018 12:31 pm
I don't have a lot to add to this thread other than that the Switch has completely re-invigorated my love of gaming. The combination of portability with instant sleep/resume is such a killer app for a working, married adult. So many games that I would overlook because they are huge time sinks and require being tethered to a computer or couch can now be tackled in bite sized portions wherever I am. I was able to finish Xenoblade Chronicles over the span of multiple trans-Atlantic flights instead of watching shitty in-flight movies or scrolling through emails in the airport lounge. I can start a match in Battle Chef Brigade or tackle a bit of Darkest Dungeon while being right beside my wife when she watches some asinine J-drama. This is hands down my favourite console since the PS2.
Completely concur. Brought the Switch with me to the UK for business and it was fantastic. I gamed more that week than I have in months. Next trip I'm going to make sure I have a mini dock and power source as well.

At home it's great too as I can play on the TV or in bed.

Instant sleep/resume is a such a big game changer.

Its too bad all my backlog titles are not available on Switch.