• Jun 22nd, 2018 3:10 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5915 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
Ya kind of stating the obvious there and I'm not confused or asking why every other game is a rehash, I'm just saying that for anyone who was in the minority of playing a lot of WiiU over the past 5 years, the current Switch library leaves a lot to be desired
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5915 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
I just stumbled on this recent Reddit thread that echos my feeling exactly. Obviously a minority but definitely not alone
https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/comments/ ... there_are/

"[–]Brrchuck
5 points 8 hours ago

I'm not pissed that there are Switch versions of the games. I'm pissed that the vast majority of games coming to the switch are games I've played years ago and have no interest in.
"
Last edited by ReeGee on Mar 9th, 2018 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5021 posts
708 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 10:51 am
Ya kind of stating the obvious there and I'm not confused or asking why every other game is a rehash, I'm just saying that for anyone who was in the minority of playing a lot of WiiU over the past 5 years, the current Switch library leaves a lot to be desired
As a day one WiiU owner, I totally disagree.

The lineup for this year certainly leaves a lot to be desired right now (but metroid and pokemon may launch this year) and I'm bored to tears about the idea of another Smash game but BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario & Rabbids are all amazing games that I've sunk a zillion hours into and the first year dwarfs a lot of other consoles first years.
Plus the portability of the system is great so i found myself buying the odd indie/non-nintendo game for it and there is tons of those dropping.

I think the most frustrating thing about all these ports is I literally own them all on the WiiU which I still have and can play, and I'd love to own them on the Switch because its just a way better console and I'd even be willing to pay a small fee to have that. However these games are all launching at 80$ and Nintendo refuses to lower the price of thier games, so If I'm lucky in 4 years I might be able to pick up that DKTF port for 40$ (which is still more than Im willing to pay for a port of a game I already own).
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5915 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 11:40 am
As a day one WiiU owner, I totally disagree.

The lineup for this year certainly leaves a lot to be desired right now (but metroid and pokemon may launch this year) and I'm bored to tears about the idea of another Smash game but BoTW, Mario Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Arms, and Mario & Rabbids are all amazing games that I've sunk a zillion hours into and the first year dwarfs a lot of other consoles first years.
Plus the portability of the system is great so i found myself buying the odd indie/non-nintendo game for it and there is tons of those dropping.
I know Odyssey is an amazing game but that's literally the only game on the system I want to play at this point. BOTW is a WiiU game to me, Splatoon 2 is a WiiU rehash as well (one I could never get into on WiiU in the first place) and I'm just not convinced that ARMS and Mario & Rabbids are that good but I could be wrong about that, either way Odyssey is the only thing that stands out as a system seller to me
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 11:40 am
I think the most frustrating thing about all these ports is I literally own them all on the WiiU which I still have and can play, and I'd love to own them on the Switch because its just a way better console and I'd even be willing to pay a small fee to have that. However these games are all launching at 80$ and Nintendo refuses to lower the price of thier games, so If I'm lucky in 4 years I might be able to pick up that DKTF port for 40$ (which is still more than Im willing to pay for a port of a game I already own).
Ya that's definitely an issue for me as well. I'm not opposed to them releasing games like DKCTF, Mario Kart 8, Bayonetta 2 etc on Switch and I'd honestly love having portable versions of those games to play again on my commute but the thought of paying $80 again for those old games I played already is straight up appalling
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2115 posts
219 upvotes
The Switch passed the Wii U's lifetime sales in less than a year. It's not that surprising that it getting a lot of Wii U ports. And I mean, it's not that different from the PS4 and XBO launch - The Last of Us, Tomb Raider Definitive, GTAV, Sleeping Dogs Definitive, Dishonored Definitive, Master Chief Collection, Skyrim SE, etc.

As for this year? Octopath Traveler, Shin Megami Tensei V, and Fire Emblem are pretty decent. And there's probably unannounced stuff for the holidays. But yeah, the pricing is a problem. Not just the full-fat prices for rereleases, but in general for some games. Like I actually want Captain Toad, but there's no damn way I'd ever pay more than $30 for it. And crap like 1 2 Switch was just insulting.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5915 posts
2062 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 2:21 pm
And I mean, it's not that different from the PS4 and XBO launch - The Last of Us, Tomb Raider Definitive, GTAV, Sleeping Dogs Definitive, Dishonored Definitive, Master Chief Collection, Skyrim SE, etc.
ya that's a good point but I think it's standing out more to me with the Switch because it's so popular but I'm sitting here looking at the current library like "meh". I'm sure it will expand with fresh games in time just like PS4 and XBO eventually did
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18328 posts
279 upvotes
YVR
What's the lowest price that the digital edition of Zelda sold for in Canada? I rather get the digital copy than the physical copy of this game. It's a classic and I'll never trade it in.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6484 posts
1533 upvotes
Nintendo eShop almost never has sales on digital downloads and usually at most it is 10-20% off an obscure game.

Nintendo updated the My Nintendo rewards section so that if you buy an $80 digital game you get $4 back in Gold Points.
https://my.nintendo.com/about_gold_point

It is actually better to use the Gold Points on other items due to the points almost being worthless on the Nintendo eShop.
https://my.nintendo.com/reward_categories
Sgt_Strider wrote:
Mar 11th, 2018 1:34 pm
What's the lowest price that the digital edition of Zelda sold for in Canada? I rather get the digital copy than the physical copy of this game. It's a classic and I'll never trade it in.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5021 posts
708 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 11:48 am
I know Odyssey is an amazing game but that's literally the only game on the system I want to play at this point. BOTW is a WiiU game to me, Splatoon 2 is a WiiU rehash as well (one I could never get into on WiiU in the first place) and I'm just not convinced that ARMS and Mario & Rabbids are that good but I could be wrong about that, either way Odyssey is the only thing that stands out as a system seller to me
I can only speak from my experience, but after the WiiU if you would have told me that Nintendo would release 5 games that would give me 20+ hours of enjoyment in the first 9 months I would never have believed you. I think a lot of other people feel the same way. Heck I'd take those 5 over everything the WiiU offered.

Which leads me to my second point, it's not like these WiiU ports are the system sellers either ie no one is buying these systems to play Captain Toad, Donkey Kong, Hyrule Warriors, and Pokken Tournament. In most cases I purchased and barely touched these games on the WiiU but would consider giving it a chance on the new system.

I think your also really underselling the capabilities of the hardware too,
I'm fairly confident I wouldn't have even beat the WiiU version of BOTW but having the ability to undock it and play it in bed or on the train changed how I approached the game and kept me far more engaged with it. I could probably make that argument for each one of the games I listed, I'd probably have abandoned all of them way sooner if they weren't this fun thing to take on the go.
The WiiU was a garbage piece of hardware that you didn't really want to play games on but did because the games were good, Switch is the opposite, for me anyways, you actively seek out games to buy on it because of its capabilities. Even these WiiU titles are given new life on this system, which is why I can't be totally angry about them being ported (but as I said previously I do seriously take issue with the price).
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1457 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
I just encountered the power on/boot-up error - frozen on the Switch logo screen and not charging in the dock or straight from the wall adapter. I sent it in for repair this morning, even paying for overnight delivery to Vancouver since my family was hoping to bring this along on our vacation at the beginning of April. I am not keeping my hopes up. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4836 posts
912 upvotes
Milton
Just got Zelda and spent couple of hours in and just got out of the great plateau.

If I get the dlc now, will my current playthrough still applies with dlc changes (like majora's mask?) or should i start over
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5021 posts
708 upvotes
calgary
spena wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 3:25 pm
Just got Zelda and spent couple of hours in and just got out of the great plateau.

If I get the dlc now, will my current playthrough still applies with dlc changes (like majora's mask?) or should i start over
You should be good, unless you want to play in hard mode.
Deal Addict
Dec 23, 2008
4836 posts
912 upvotes
Milton
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Mar 25th, 2018 6:35 pm
You should be good, unless you want to play in hard mode.
Thanks! Do I also get the hero's path too?
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2115 posts
219 upvotes
Yeah, everything except hard mode can be done whenever.
Temp. Banned
Apr 15, 2011
3146 posts
358 upvotes
Scarborough
ReeGee wrote:
Mar 9th, 2018 10:51 am
GTA 8, call of duty 25, halo 10. I can go on and on. You want to talk rehash, look in your own backyard first.