• Nov 3rd, 2018 1:42 pm
Tags:
None
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3362 posts
365 upvotes
Scarborough
The crazy price of video games these days. Its bringing me nostalgic memories of when I had the n64. Aww yeah, the good ole days.
Deal Guru
Jul 27, 2006
10687 posts
619 upvotes
Scarborough
At least they attempted to make new games even though it's Halo 10. Nintendo is sprinkling something new with basically every Wii U title they have.

Even on your argument, Super Mario Odyssey is just the 10th rendition of the same game. Legend of Zelda, same thing.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2013
2896 posts
214 upvotes
Picked up a Switch about a month or two ago. First time I've purchased a Nintendo console since GameCube. I got it explicitly for Super Mario Odyssey; it reminded me of Super Mario 64, and the nostalgia was too strong to resist.

Played that and Zelda of course, and enjoyed both of them immensely. But now I'm in a situation I somewhat expected to happen - I haven't touched it again in at least a few weeks and am debating selling it.
“My biggest problem with modernity may lie in the growing separation of the ethical and the legal.”
-Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2197 posts
267 upvotes
So play something else? Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Fast RMX, Bayonetta 2, ARMs, Kirby Star Allies, Golf Story, Snipper Clips, etc. I don't get how people can polish off BotW and Odyssey and think there's nothing else to play on the Switch.
Apr 6, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
Ascott wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 5:47 pm
So play something else? Mario + Rabbids, Xenoblade Chronicles 2, Splatoon 2, Fire Emblem Warriors, Fast RMX, Bayonetta 2, ARMs, Kirby Star Allies, Golf Story, Snipper Clips, etc. I don't get how people can polish off BotW and Odyssey and think there's nothing else to play on the Switch.
Of all the games you listed, only Spatoon 2 and Bayonetta 2 are other "must haves". Mario+Rabbids and Xenoblade are "must haves" if you enjoy those genres: strategy and jRPG, respectively. Most people will not have much fun with any of the other mediocre games. And that's the problem. There just still aren't that many games which warrant paying so much for a Switch other than the 4(+2) mentioned.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2197 posts
267 upvotes
I don't see how you can argue that a spectacle action game is somehow more relevant or desirable in general than JRPG's or Strategy games. It's not exactly a genre rife with financial successes.

And mediocre? What is mediocre about Fast RMX or Snipperclips? They both have above an 80% aggregate score.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
Maximize wrote:
Mar 30th, 2018 4:38 pm
Picked up a Switch about a month or two ago. First time I've purchased a Nintendo console since GameCube. I got it explicitly for Super Mario Odyssey; it reminded me of Super Mario 64, and the nostalgia was too strong to resist.

Played that and Zelda of course, and enjoyed both of them immensely. But now I'm in a situation I somewhat expected to happen - I haven't touched it again in at least a few weeks and am debating selling it.
I know this is exactly what would happen to me which is why I'm holding out for a hardware refresh and more games. It's even worse for me because I already have BOTW on WiiU
mehguy5 wrote:
Apr 7th, 2018 2:50 pm
Of all the games you listed, only Spatoon 2 and Bayonetta 2 are other "must haves". Mario+Rabbids and Xenoblade are "must haves" if you enjoy those genres: strategy and jRPG, respectively. Most people will not have much fun with any of the other mediocre games. And that's the problem. There just still aren't that many games which warrant paying so much for a Switch other than the 4(+2) mentioned.
Calling any of those games a must have is a stretch. Splatoon 2 is a rehashed overrated sequel, Bayonetta 2 is literally a WiiU port, Mario Rabbids and Xenoblade are niche games that appear to be very hit and miss with people. I don't care how popular it is, it's still mostly a glorified port machine with a bunch of overpriced overhyped filler at this point.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5066 posts
744 upvotes
calgary
This is the reality of owning a Nintendo Console in the HD Era,
Nintendo really lowered my standards with the WiiU -which was lucky to receive a decent first party release every 6 months or so and never got anything at the level of Switch- I feel like the Switch has spoiled me with awesome games since it launched. Between the onslaught of incredible first party releases and the fact that the portability of it has made it a great device for playing indie games, mine has been used constantly since it launched, though admittedly the last 3-4 months has been quite dry but that's allowed me to spend more time collecting moons in Odyssey and play through Zelda's DLC.

Don't sleep on Mario & Rabbids, not only can it be had for fairly cheap now (since its actually an Ubisoft game), it's quite a bit of fun and they really lay the nostalgia on thick. To me its almost on the same level as BOTW and Odyssey though
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
2500 posts
442 upvotes
Ajax
I never thought I would touch another Nintendo console after the Wii. Just felt the love was not there for the folks that supported them 30+ years ago. When the Switch details emerged i thought it was a joke. I do not have a need for a handheld as there are other devices in the house that fit that need. After months looking at it and the fact that my kids (4&7) were asking for it, it found its way under the Christmas Tree. I have been pleasantly surprised. I mostly play Mario and Zelda, but the kids are rally enjoying Arms and of course Mario Kart and 1-2 Switch. Here's to hoping they have some good things to announce around E3 as I feel beyond a couple of other titles out there, there is not much happening.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2197 posts
267 upvotes
SpicYMchaggis wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 11:00 am
Don't sleep on Mario & Rabbids, not only can it be had for fairly cheap now (since its actually an Ubisoft game), it's quite a bit of fun and they really lay the nostalgia on thick. To me its almost on the same level as BOTW and Odyssey though
Seriously. People keep downplaying this one, but it won best original game at the Game Critics Awards, and best Strategy game from the Game Critics Awards, Gamescom, and the Game Awards. I wouldn't put it up with BotW personally, but it certainly should be among the top few games on the platform.
Aug 20, 2009
6798 posts
1510 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I agree. I really enjoyed Mario vs Rabbids, not sure how that one is hit and miss. It's accessible enough that even if turn based tactics isn't necessarily your thing it's still fun.

I think the Nintendo lineup so far is already more compelling than some of their competitors.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
6303 posts
2378 upvotes
Toronto
I mean XCOM 2 had rave reviews and numerous media GOTY nods as well but that didn't change the fact that it's a niche game that tons of people don't care about. A lot of people just don't enjoy strategy games. I'm not saying it's bad and I believe you guys that it's good, but either way strategy games are hardly ever a "must have" for most people.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5066 posts
744 upvotes
calgary
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 1:18 pm
I mean XCOM 2 had rave reviews and numerous media GOTY nods as well but that didn't change the fact that it's a niche game that tons of people don't care about. A lot of people just don't enjoy strategy games. I'm not saying it's bad and I believe you guys that it's good, but either way strategy games are hardly ever a "must have" for most people.
I'd say Mario & Rabbids is to X-Com2 what Mario Kart is to Forza. It's an easily accessible game with a mainstream aesthetic.

it's probably not selling system like Mario Odyssey and BOTW, but if you bought the system for those games, its easily worth having it in your catalog.

If you just bought this console for Odyssey and Zelda though, I'd say you got your moneys worth already. Plus it's not like we are at the end of the systems life and no other good games are going to be released.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1736 posts
447 upvotes
Toronto
I like the Switch. But I feel there are only three key titles that could be enjoyed by everybody: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Super Mario Odyssey and Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. I enjoy Snipperclips, but I understand it's not a game with mass appeal.

The first half of this year has been pretty weak. It's a shame that Nintendo is offering ports such as Bayonetta 1+2, Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze and Hyrule Warriors at full price. I understand some ports such as Mario Kart 8 can warrant full price.

I'm looking forward to Mario Tennis Aces and Octopath Traveller. But until then my Switch is collecting dust.