• Jul 17th, 2018 8:45 am
Tags:
None
Apr 6, 2018
5 posts
1 upvote
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 10:53 am
Calling any of those games a must have is a stretch. Splatoon 2 is a rehashed overrated sequel, Bayonetta 2 is literally a WiiU port
Remember, most Switch owners did NOT own a Wii U. So, yes, Wii U sequels and ports can absolutely be "must haves" for the Switch. Hell, Zelda is practically a Wii U port.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19717 posts
3516 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Another Switch game requiring a download.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3025 posts
300 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 9th, 2018 10:53 am
I know this is exactly what would happen to me which is why I'm holding out for a hardware refresh and more games. It's even worse for me because I already have BOTW on WiiU

Calling any of those games a must have is a stretch. Splatoon 2 is a rehashed overrated sequel, Bayonetta 2 is literally a WiiU port, Mario Rabbids and Xenoblade are niche games that appear to be very hit and miss with people. I don't care how popular it is, it's still mostly a glorified port machine with a bunch of overpriced overhyped filler at this point.

Nobody owned the Wii U lol

Games I own are
Zelda
Mario
Splatoon 2
Kirby
Bomberman
LEGO City
Bayonetta 1/2
WWE 2K18

Donkey Kong soon ....Skyrim later this year
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2127 posts
225 upvotes

The Toycon Garage is actually surprisingly capable.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
Sharks316 wrote:
Apr 22nd, 2018 10:26 pm
Nobody owned the Wii U lol
8 million people bought Mario Kart 8 for the WiiU
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3025 posts
300 upvotes
NORTH VANCOUVER
ReeGee wrote:
Apr 23rd, 2018 10:26 am
8 million people bought Mario Kart 8 for the WiiU
How many Wii U were sold? Now compare that to the switch!!!!
Aug 20, 2009
6489 posts
1130 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah that Tegra exploit is bad news. I expect to see fully mature CFW within a year. Also applies to the Nvidia Shield TV but doesn't matter as much there, other than a pure security perspective.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2005
1898 posts
488 upvotes
Redmask wrote:
Apr 25th, 2018 1:09 pm
Yeah that Tegra exploit is bad news. I expect to see fully mature CFW within a year. Also applies to the Nvidia Shield TV but doesn't matter as much there, other than a pure security perspective.
I've said it before, but I am actually really sad that the Switch is going to be hacked. Nintendo gave it their all in terms of hardware and software for the Switch and I really don't want their bottom line to be hit by hackers.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
5959 posts
2097 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:
Apr 26th, 2018 1:29 pm
I've said it before, but I am actually really sad that the Switch is going to be hacked. Nintendo gave it their all in terms of hardware and software for the Switch and I really don't want their bottom line to be hit by hackers.
Many platforms and services have already laid out the blueprint for combating piracy. Steam, Spotify, Netflix etc have all proven that people will gladly pay for content instead of dealing with the hassle of piracy if you simply make it convenient and affordable. If Nintendo insists on continuing to charge $80 for new games and 5 year old WiiU ports and $10-20 for decade old Virtual console games that never go on sale then they have only themselves to blame when everyone starts pirating Switch games
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2127 posts
225 upvotes
The PSP and 3DS make pretty compelling arguments that Piracy won't affect the bottom line.

And at any rate, this exploit has to be repeated on every boot and is relatively fiddly. It also can't be left in place permanently since it interferes with a joycon slot and takes up the charging port in portable mode. It's not going to be as big as customOS/homebrew was on either the 3DS or PSP and once it's fixed in a die revision that's it for new hardware - there's not going to be any waiting for a roll back patch or a new game being released that opens the exploit up again or something.

Anyway, on the opposite end of the Spectrum Nintendo released quarterly results. The Switch is up to 17.8 million units sold, BotW is the best selling Zelda game breaking 10 million units (Switch 8.5, Wii U 1.5), Super Mario Odyssey is at 10 million units, MK8D at 9.22M, Splatoon 2 is at 6 million units and the first Switch game to break 2 million units in Japan, Kirby Star Allies hit 1.26 million units in ~2 weeks. For perspective, the Switch version of BotW has sold nearly as well as the GC and Wii versions of TP combined, MK8D has outsold MK8 which was the Wii U's best selling game, and the Switch itself sold 4.3 million more units than the Wii U did total in just over a year.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3144 posts
1269 upvotes
You only need to do it once to install CFW. There will be a permeant solution. I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo announces a Nintendo New Switch with better specs and hope eventually most people would upgrade to the new hardware.

A borderless 1080p screen and upgraded spec that allows games to run in 1080p in portable mode would be sweet.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8757 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone blaming the upcoming and inevitable piracy that is going to kill the switch isn't remembering how much shovelware gets put onto the Nintendo consoles after a year or less into it's life. The shovelware and crap releases that get put onto all of their consoles in the downfall.

When piracy does start, yes, it will probably hurt sales of some games but it won't destroy them.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8757 posts
773 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:
So just as an example, lets say you go to bestbuy, buy a game for your switch @ full price and it turns out to be absolute crap. You can't return it and your out the full amount and you'll only get back whatever you sell it for...

I'd prefer the piracy route as a try before I buy method (because yes, I actually buy what I pirate IF it's worth buying).
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1707 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto
unshavenyak wrote:
Video game piracy is an interesting thing.

Some of the best selling platforms of all time: PS2, DS and Wii were also the most pirated. Those platforms had a respectable software attach rate.

The only platform where piracy affected game development was the PSP. Lot's of people bought the PSP in the mid-to-late2000s to be hacked. The PSP could be considered anomaly.

Rest assured Nintendo's bottom line will not see a great hit with hackers. The biggest threat to Nintendo's bottom line would be to revert to their Wii U era mistakes.