• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2018 10:18 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2161 posts
240 upvotes
The PSP wasn't an anomaly. It never took off in the west, it was perfectly fine in Asian markets and continued to get regular development support all through its life and well into the Vita's life. The Vita performed significantly better in Japan than western markets too, and again is still getting regular development support.
XtremeModder wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 4:53 pm
how much shovelware gets put onto the Nintendo consoles after a year or less into it's life. The shovelware and crap releases that get put onto all of their consoles in the downfall.
There isn't an appreciable amount of shovelware on any of the Nintendo home consoles with exception to the Wii. The DS had a lot, but of course it did - it was the cheapest mass market device to develop for. That stuff all jumped ship to mobile years ago, so even the 3DS is relatively free of shovelware.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2007
8890 posts
818 upvotes
Toronto
Ascott wrote:
Apr 27th, 2018 8:26 pm
The PSP wasn't an anomaly. It never took off in the west, it was perfectly fine in Asian markets and continued to get regular development support all through its life and well into the Vita's life. The Vita performed significantly better in Japan than western markets too, and again is still getting regular development support.

There isn't an appreciable amount of shovelware on any of the Nintendo home consoles with exception to the Wii. The DS had a lot, but of course it did - it was the cheapest mass market device to develop for. That stuff all jumped ship to mobile years ago, so even the 3DS is relatively free of shovelware.
Well I guess it’s all up to opinion but I’d say everything after the N64 for the most part just got garbage. WiiU being a huge one as well as the Wii.

I’d love to get a switch and I’ve been debating all day wether to get one or not but then I just think to myself why buy a console for only 2 games that I want only to let it sit there forever after.
Aug 20, 2009
6618 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
People bought PS4s just for Bloodborne and the promise of other games. Switch is no different except its got a pretty good lineup already for something that's not even 2 years old. Also those 2 games are some of the best of all time.

I own all of the consoles and my biggest regret is not on the Nintendo side of things.
Aug 20, 2009
6618 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
The Switch Online subscription info was announced finally. No mention of Virtual Console still, Nintendo is a weird company.

Anyways 20 NES games, Cloud Save, MP in certain titles and some other little things.

I just can't see myself paying for this to be honest, Nintendo's online functionality is kind of a trainwreck but I guess it's a start. At least it's only about $20 USD per year.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18403 posts
290 upvotes
YVR
Redmask wrote:
May 8th, 2018 1:40 pm
The Switch Online subscription info was announced finally. No mention of Virtual Console still, Nintendo is a weird company.

Anyways 20 NES games, Cloud Save, MP in certain titles and some other little things.

I just can't see myself paying for this to be honest, Nintendo's online functionality is kind of a trainwreck but I guess it's a start. At least it's only about $20 USD per year.
It's C$25/year. Kind of expensive for what we get at the moment. I don't play the Switch enough to justify paying the annual fee. Maybe after Nintendo upgrade its online service and then we'll start talking.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2161 posts
240 upvotes
Sticking with the mobile app is pretty much a deal breaker. I like that Nintendo is willing to roll the dice on ideas and decisions that most companies won't, but they have a serious issue with admitting when something is a bad idea or isn't coming together. I also could not possibly care less about NES games with added online functionality. That said, I do think going with a big catalog of classic games as their subscription hook over the PS Plus/Games for Gold approach is the right one - but I have more than a few doubts they'll be adding decent titles to it frequently enough.

Need more details on the family pricing. It's probably going to be 8 accounts on one Switch, because Nintendo, but if by some miracle it can be applied to multiple Switch units then the pricing is significantly better. Also if it can apply cross-region - if I could have my North American and Japanese accounts subscribed at a discount that would be real tempting.
Aug 20, 2009
6618 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
Yeah I can't stand the outsourced app, it was just not a good move. I think they already said it was multiple devices for one sub but I can't remember where I read it or if they said what the limitations were.

Also I am really annoyed there is no free method of backing up my save files. That's ridiculous, even just copy to USB would be fine.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
18403 posts
290 upvotes
YVR
Ascott wrote:
May 8th, 2018 1:58 pm
Sticking with the mobile app is pretty much a deal breaker. I like that Nintendo is willing to roll the dice on ideas and decisions that most companies won't, but they have a serious issue with admitting when something is a bad idea or isn't coming together. I also could not possibly care less about NES games with added online functionality. That said, I do think going with a big catalog of classic games as their subscription hook over the PS Plus/Games for Gold approach is the right one - but I have more than a few doubts they'll be adding decent titles to it frequently enough.

Need more details on the family pricing. It's probably going to be 8 accounts on one Switch, because Nintendo, but if by some miracle it can be applied to multiple Switch units then the pricing is significantly better. Also if it can apply cross-region - if I could have my North American and Japanese accounts subscribed at a discount that would be real tempting.
I agree with you on this. It's 2018 and Nintendo's online infrastructure is horrible. They should hire a couple of ex-Microsoft/Sony employees to work on their online services.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2011
1457 posts
818 upvotes
Windsor
Nintendo being Nintendo, they cant do things right other than making good games. Looks like my NS wont be turned on for the rest of this year.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2161 posts
240 upvotes
Hardware wise the Switch is pretty nice. The fit and finish is the best Nintendo ever produced. And despite being a little bare bones the system software is a hell of a step up from the Wii U and honestly I kinda' prefer it to the PS4 because it's so much faster to jump into a game. Nintendo can course correct, they're just glacially slow about it.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2006
5033 posts
730 upvotes
calgary
I'm a bit miffed at this news, I just realized that if you want to get multiple accounts on the same switch covered under this you have to pay for the family plan which is 35$USD/year and honestly at that price point given what they are offering (which is terrible, but I see you guys have already discussed that) I'm not interested, which is incredibly frustrating because some games I still do play from time to time like Arms and Splatoon 2 are going to be worthless without the sub.
Aug 20, 2009
6618 posts
1278 upvotes
Grimsby
mymuro wrote:
May 8th, 2018 2:43 pm
Nintendo being Nintendo, they cant do things right other than making good games. Looks like my NS wont be turned on for the rest of this year.
I don't know, the hardware is fine and while the OS is totally barebones its fast and efficient. I don't get any crashes or other issues, super fast to hop into games.

I feel like Nintendo just needs to invest in-house for their online infrastructure instead of outsourcing everything and then the pieces will come together.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1518 posts
358 upvotes
mississauga
think first, buy later.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2008
1518 posts
358 upvotes
mississauga
nintendo needs to push out a hardware revision as soon as possible, the complete piracy package has unfolded way too quickly.
think first, buy later.