PC & Video Games

Nintendo Wii to outsell PS3?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2006 12:04 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
sfu_lifer wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 4:16 am
In fact, go to the avsforums.
HD-DVD is the winner so far in terms of the movie quality out there. Blu-Ray is still using mpeg2, a decidedly old and crappy compression while HD-DVD is using Microsoft's superior codec. Once Blu-Ray switches over to that, then yes the pic quality should be equal. Blu-ray is 2x larger but they're still having a hard time manufacturing doublelayer blu-ray en masse whereas they've been doing double-layer HD-DVD for a long time now.
BluRay movies have begun switching to VC-1 already, and better yet even MPEG-4 releases are announced ;)

You can see some comments regarding direct comparisons here:
http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/14112
(their source appears to be down at the moment, otherwise I would have linked directly to there).
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
341 upvotes
Brisbane
Who says Nintendo has no third party support? The PS3 will lose a significant portion once developers realize the costs and difficulty for a brand new technolgy. Costs are already 4-5 times that of the original PSX.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
341 upvotes
Brisbane
Sheky wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 12:35 pm
Anyway you slice it, you'll get more games on PS3 and the only exclusives on the Wii will be Zelda and Mario. It's shown in the past two generations that those two franchises alone can't put the console on top. The moment Nintendo finalized their motion sensor idea is the moment they've relinquished the chance of finishing first this generation. But that seems to be their tactic as they're not out to win; they're out to not lose.
what are you talking about? Clearly you haven't been paying attention. Did anyone pre-order the Gamecube? No. I picked mine up on release day, no problem. People are preordering the Wii significantly more than the PS3, I witnessed it at EB Games. True, there are less systems so people won't be there but still. There is a huge increase in demand compared to the previous system. The controller is their selling point. Third party developers have no loyalty. They will go where games will sell. If Nintendo has the business, they will develop.

Even if the Wiimote sucks for basic games, plug a gamecube remote in! It's definately AS functional as the PS remote for regular game functions.

And how do you know the quality or use of either new controller? Neither has been released! You talk as if you have used them both for the past 10 years. Put opinions in when you actually have something to base upon.
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
341 upvotes
Brisbane
Sheky wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 12:35 pm
I don't deny the Wii concept is an interesting idea. If it's not good, then the bastards at Sony wouldn't have copied it. But you have to realize it's causal gaming that rules the market. There's very little you can do with that type of interface and when the entire selling point of the system is predicated upon that interface you're basically pigeonholing the system to be a niche. If it's not mainstream, it's niche. I don't even known how you can begin to argue this to be otherwise.
If casual gaming dominates the market, then why is Sony obviously targeting towards hardcore gamers? The Xbox360 and PS3 are not "casual" machines by any means. You affirming that it is a casually dominated market agrees that Sony has released to a minority.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2005
1504 posts
6 upvotes
seems like lots of third parties are going to develop games for wii then ps3.. hopefully, cuz im gonna get me a wii! (weeee)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6243 posts
93 upvotes
casual gaming is where the money is. A casual gamer won't copy games, won't even bother renting games constantly. He'll buy a game once in a while instead.. even if he doesn't finish his previous games.

That's pretty much me. I used to be semi-hardcore gamer, downloaded tons of stuff but now, I don't bother. I buy one game once in a while and play when I can.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6243 posts
93 upvotes
deeplove wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 1:16 pm
seems like lots of third parties are going to develop games for wii then ps3.. hopefully, cuz im gonna get me a wii! (weeee)
Lots of third parties never considered developing for wii... until E3 where ubisoft showed all what they had and how everyone was in awe with the wii. I think that there will be lots of support for the wii.
Deal Addict
Sep 16, 2005
4801 posts
60 upvotes
Local
I can't really see myself playing a wii game late at night in bed, I think I have to stand up or something and whiz around the controller to play it.Does it actually feel better than a controller? Do your hands get tired? Do you feel dumb pretending this controller is something real?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
Sheky wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 12:35 pm
I don't deny the Wii concept is an interesting idea. If it's not good, then the bastards at Sony wouldn't have copied it. But you have to realize it's causal gaming that rules the market. There's very little you can do with that type of interface and when the entire selling point of the system is predicated upon that interface you're basically pigeonholing the system to be a niche. If it's not mainstream, it's niche. I don't even known how you can begin to argue this to be otherwise.

And the horizontal controls or Cube pad is flawed. It's asymetrical, lacks enough shoulder triggers, lacks buttons. It makes mandatory six button fighters play like crap, makes complex games like Winning Eleven or MGS unplayable. And Sony has already copied the Wii's concept. How long do you think it'll take for 3rd parties to start porting Wii titles to the PS3? If Lucasarts makes a bad ass Jedi simulator on the Wii and sells millions, you don't think they'll try to port it to the PS3 using their motion sensor crap? If I was Sony, I'd make a blu ray remote that doubles as a motion sensor controller to kill two birds with one stone. Sell extra crap that makes a ton of money and entice all 3rd party games on Wii to be ported.

Anyway you slice it, you'll get more games on PS3 and the only exclusives on the Wii will be Zelda and Mario. It's shown in the past two generations that those two franchises alone can't put the console on top. The moment Nintendo finalized their motion sensor idea is the moment they've relinquished the chance of finishing first this generation. But that seems to be their tactic as they're not out to win; they're out to not lose.

i think you're drastically over-estimating the dedication of the casual gamer

the casual gamer:

will not be reading these posts, or any other video game posts online
will most likely be receiving their consoles or games as gifts and not purchasing for themselves
doesn't get new consoles within 6 months of their release
will want something intriguing (watching someone play a wii is interesting enough, playing it 1st hand is an experience)
is extremely price sensitive since gaming is not a priority of theirs (the gap between prices has never been so large)

and when you say if it's not mainstream it's a niche how exactly does that make ps3 mainstream using motion sensitivity? it can't be both now, that would contradict your statement

niche's do become mainstream though, what about force feedback? that's as niche as you can get, and all 3 companies adopted it, because it made whatever you were playing a completely new experience, like motion sensitivity

and talking about exclusive games what franchises/studios does ps3 have that no others have now? gran turismo, devil may cry, god of war, shadow of the colossus, twisted metal it's not as big as people think, metal gear has been on every system, rockstar is now supporting 360, guitar hero 2 coming out for xbox 360 and for every exclusive game ps3 gets the same studio creates an exclusive for another system

as far as winning and losing goes, no matter what happens nintendo will survive this generation to produce something in 5 years time, microsoft has pc to fallback on easily also, sony has so much riding on ps3/bluray they almost need it to be #1 to take anything away from it, the amount of time, money and resources put into their new media/software, microsoft's game department lost 2.1 billion in the 1st year of 360's existences, when sony has put loads and loads of money into the cell processor AND blu ray technology

it's odd how some people dont really understand the business reasoning behind blu ray
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
john widow wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 2:57 pm
I can't really see myself playing a wii game late at night in bed, I think I have to stand up or something and whiz around the controller to play it.Does it actually feel better than a controller? Do your hands get tired? Do you feel dumb pretending this controller is something real?
no game will cause you to sweat, stand up, or physically harm yourself
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
oh and as far as assymetrical goes, mouse and keyboard isn't assymetrical, neither is playing an arcade game, and N64 which mainly used analog wasn't either, and as far as hand and finger position goes, the ps2 dual shock isn't assymetrical when using the analog
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2003
6243 posts
93 upvotes
deeplove wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 1:16 pm
I love the people that buy the PS3 saying that they're just buying it to sell it again and thats what most people are doing. My question is... if its going to be such a huge flop and no one wants it, who is going to buy your systems for insane prices? People are buying it to resell, because they know it'll be a hit and everyone will be trying to get their hands on one.
I'm almost tempted to keep mine. If I had the $$$ and a nice big TV, I'd keep it! :D
Deal Addict
User avatar
Feb 14, 2002
3362 posts
125 upvotes
Vancouver
blahs wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 3:12 pm
ok obviously the Wii will outsell the PS3 beccause of shortages and because the Wii is so much cheaper. The PS3 will not flop regardless.

I love the people that buy the PS3 saying that they're just buying it to sell it again and thats what most people are doing. My question is... if its going to be such a huge flop and no one wants it, who is going to buy your systems for insane prices? People are buying it to resell, because they know it'll be a hit and everyone will be trying to get their hands on one.
your comment is so irrelevant

you're questioning scalpers motivations? only 1 reason, money

just because people want something doesn't mean it's popular, if 5 million people wanted an STD that doesn't make it cool, or you popular that you have it

it's going to be a rarity because of it's production numbers and the fact that other people that couldn't get their hands on it and will be willing to pay a premium for it, you can't call anything successful that's not even out, it's all hype

ps3 could be the biggest bomb ever but the scalper will still sell on launch day make a load of money, the 2 aren't related in any way, it won't take 1 day for it to flop, it will take months if it does
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
wow... the PS3 was just compared to an STD.... what's next? Nazis? :lol:
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 1, 2006
3370 posts
341 upvotes
Brisbane
SuSHi wrote:
Oct 18th, 2006 2:58 pm
niche's do become mainstream though, what about force feedback? that's as niche as you can get, and all 3 companies adopted it, because it made whatever you were playing a completely new experience, like motion sensitivity
Excellent, excellent point. I wish I thought of it. When Nintendo first came out with it (or Sony, not sure which came first), I thought it was this huge gimmick. Like who cared that you could feel when skippy was shot by that jerk falco in starfox? I guess everyone did.

It's now become so essential that everyone is up in arms over the fact that Sony removed the shock feature.

If Sony had announced axis sensors first, would you still think it was a gimmick and a niche? Truth is, the second I heard about Nintendo's intent to include a "gyro" (from my fellow electrical engineering students), I was ecstatic that Nintendo had finally done its own thing and stopped trying to play catch up.

Wow, good point on the rumble. kudos to SuSHi.

Top