• Last Updated:
  • Apr 18th, 2019 8:50 am
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2010
1024 posts
1063 upvotes
Toronto

Nissan Kicks another cheap little CUV ... yay or nay

Never knew about the Nissan Kicks until someone mentioned in on RFD. Looks like a game changer.
Under $20k before tax for an auto/air car that has good cargo space and excellent fuel economy.
Why would someone buy a Chevy Sonic, Honda Fit, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, etc when the Kicks kicks their ass on most categories.
Last edited by thelastword on Jul 11th, 2018 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
76 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41800 posts
30055 upvotes
Center of Universe
Looks like it competes with the HR-V or C-HR.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
The Kicks is built on the Nissan V-platform (Nissan Versa Note) and has the same 1.6L engine. It's a replacement for the Nissan Juke (which was also built on the V-platform).

Subcompact cars are out of style right now and everyone aspires to own an SUV. This has encouraged manufacturers to repackage their budget cars as CUVs. Just buy the subcompact version of these things; they're thousands of dollars less, and often have as much or more interior space.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Why anyone would buy these little shit CUV's is beyond me. I'd rather have a fit that is more useful and drives way better.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
They took a Versa Note and raised it up 1 inch. Called it a Nissan Kick and now everyone thinks it's an SUV.

There are so many shitty SUV, CUV, etc out there that this thing has really lost its meaning. When I hear SUV, I am thinking Jeep Wrangler, Ford Expedition, etc...

Not this puny thing that'll smash and roll the moment it runs over a pebble on the road.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2017
3135 posts
1308 upvotes
retrothing wrote: The Kicks is built on the Nissan V-platform (Nissan Versa Note) and has the same 1.6L engine. It's a replacement for the Nissan Juke (which was also built on the V-platform).

Subcompact cars are out of style right now and everyone aspires to own an SUV. This has encouraged manufacturers to repackage their budget cars as CUVs. Just buy the subcompact version of these things; they're thousands of dollars less, and often have as much or more interior space.
How powerful is the 1.6L? Is it the same one from the Juke? I feel the 2.0 in the Crosstrek a bit underpowered.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
Bb0231 wrote: How powerful is the 1.6L? Is it the same one from the Juke? I feel the 2.0 in the Crosstrek a bit underpowered.
It is so powerful, they put it in the Versa Note.
Apr 17, 2015
494 posts
212 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I havent looked at the weight difference between the Note vs Kick, but the 1.6l is a boat anchor with little usable power... Also for its engine size, its real world fuel economy is nothing to brag about.

Overall im just impressed that car Manufacturers have been able to repackage its undesirable sub compacts, lifted it a inch or two, added a couple thousand to the price and people are ready and willing to buy them.. Good on them.
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
21392 posts
23732 upvotes
Richmond Hill
sundin4prez wrote: I havent looked at the weight difference between the Note vs Kick, but the 1.6l is a boat anchor with little usable power... Also for its engine size, its real world fuel economy is nothing to brag about.

Overall im just impressed that car Manufacturers have been able to repackage its undesirable sub compacts, lifted it a inch or two, added a couple thousand to the price and people are ready and willing to buy them.. Good on them.
That is what is alarming to me. People are willing to pay more for shit LOL!!!

But yes you're right, the auto manufacturers are laughing all the way to the bank with the current trend.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
Bb0231 wrote: How powerful is the 1.6L? Is it the same one from the Juke? I feel the 2.0 in the Crosstrek a bit underpowered.
The Kicks' 1.6 puts out 125 HP, compared with 109 HP for the Versa Note. The Kicks weighs ~1200 kg, which is 100 kg more than the Note.
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4695 posts
4968 upvotes
GTA
thelastword wrote: Why would someone buy a Chevy Sonic, Honda Fit, Kia Rio, Toyota Yaris, Ford Fiesta, etc when the Kicks kicks their ass on most categories.
Please elaborate.
Deal Guru
May 1, 2012
10538 posts
11427 upvotes
Toronto
sundin4prez wrote: I havent looked at the weight difference between the Note vs Kick, but the 1.6l is a boat anchor with little usable power... Also for its engine size, its real world fuel economy is nothing to brag about.

This is what is the most astonishing. It's a freaking small engine with no power but its fuel economy is garbage. I don't get it, did they put the worst engineers around to design this thing? Hire from the bottom?
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
I thought this was a rebranded Quashquai (sp?).

Not happy about them axing the Juke. It was quirky and I've seen enough of them on the roads to feel they took it out unjustly. Companies spend so much resources on a car only to take it out seems like such a blatant waste.
Deal Addict
Jul 30, 2010
3349 posts
555 upvotes
How dare you all insult the awesome perfection that is the Nissan Kicks. It is awe-inspiring and will do nothing less than change the world. Everyone who buys one loves it and anyone who talks shit is just a hater. You must all have short positions with Nissan.

*please note my sarcasm*
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
retrothing wrote: The Kicks is built on the Nissan V-platform (Nissan Versa Note) and has the same 1.6L engine. It's a replacement for the Nissan Juke (which was also built on the V-platform).

But they don’t have
- the hatch back
- illusion of high ride height or in most cases the actual 1-2 inch increase in height
- awd option
- they don’t look like an suv (cuv posuv or whatever people call them these days)
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
2243 posts
871 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
thelastword wrote:
Why would someone buy a Chevy Sonic.

There, I fixed it for you.
No political content in signatures (Who did I offend?)
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15768 posts
11164 upvotes
UrbanPoet wrote: But they don’t have
- the hatch back
- illusion of high ride height or in most cases the actual 1-2 inch increase in height
- awd option
- they don’t look like an suv (cuv posuv or whatever people call them these days)
AWD is not an option for the Kicks either.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
3116 posts
2251 upvotes
Canadia
UrbanPoet wrote: But they don’t have
- the hatch back
- awd option
The Kicks is FWD only.

The Versa Note has a hatchback and is slightly larger inside (94.1 cu ft) than the Kicks (93.9 cu ft).

Here's the Versa Note hatchback:

And the Kicks:

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)