Hot Deals

[nmicrovip] $500/Refurb 15.6" FHD Vivobook/i5/12GB DDR4/GeForce 930MX

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 10th, 2017 4:10 am
Jul 7, 2016
678 posts
368 upvotes
true and you can use the spare to replace the keys if you get problems.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2009
1511 posts
172 upvotes
Woodstock, ON
same here for the inexpensive ebay keyboard swap to English. I've done this a couple of times resolving the multilingual key issue on a few brands/models over the years.
Oct 4, 2008
552 posts
114 upvotes
Calgary Alberta
This doesn't have touch screen?
Mar 10, 2008
918 posts
60 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 10:32 pm
Do you prefer it?
Yes I do, as I write in both French and English . But I don't game anymore, which is the major issue from what I gather.
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2005
1861 posts
140 upvotes
Anyone have an info on the screen, i've searched but haven't found much. Just trying to figure out if the screen is any good for photo editing. Any suggestions?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2004
2361 posts
394 upvotes
Vancouver
thelasthunter wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:23 am
Can any past nmicrovip customers chime in on the quality of their refurbs? I know that most of the reviews are positive, but it's a rather small sample. Refurb.io also had a positive cadre of review initially but, as the website became popular on RFD, their reviews became much more mixed ,in terms of the unit condition and the company's customer service to address problems. Hope that's not the case here.
I've bought a few refurb computers from them over the years and they've been fantastic. I believe they're the official reseller of Asus refurbs. I seem to recall reading that on some other thread. Regardless they're very legit.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5371 posts
592 upvotes
Ambushes wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:05 pm
OK, yeah, you're not wrong. I forgot this laptop from the OP has a 930MX.

However, the i5-8250U runs laps around even the i7-7500U. The CPU in the OP is just as "pathetic" compared to the i5-8250U. If you ask me if someone who wants a $500 laptop would rather have a more powerful CPU or a more powerful GPU, I'd say it's more likely they want a more powerful CPU. The Intel 620 can play basic games. Obviously it won't perform well in graphically intensive games, but the 930MX won't either.
Yeah the 930M is not something I’d brag about. Yes it is faster but not that much faster than Intel Graphics.
May 31, 2011
50 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Just FYI and my 2 cents.

I've bought 2 desktop computers (both Asus ROG) from Nmicrovip.

Both refurb but in grade A condition. Windows 10 on both are legit with no software problems at all.

Very happy with my purchases. The only gripe is that they only came with 90 day warranty where as ca.refurb.io has 1 year warranty. The trade off...ca.refurb.io has more bad reviews.

I would definitely buy from Nmicrovip again.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2007
4651 posts
3214 upvotes
GTA
dgege wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:41 am
Yes I do, as I write in both French and English . But I don't game anymore, which is the major issue from what I gather.
I see. My issues with it are primarily typing, as I use multiple PCs every day. Having 2 layouts slows you down.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2198 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
Grunchy wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:11 am
This doesn't have touch screen?
No touch.

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UR/specifications/
tonyford wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:54 am
Anyone have an info on the screen, i've searched but haven't found much. Just trying to figure out if the screen is any good for photo editing. Any suggestions?
more information here, appears to be extremely limited

https://www.asus.com/Laptops/ASUS-Vivobook-X556UR/
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
Mar 10, 2008
918 posts
60 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:14 am
I see. My issues with it are primarily typing, as I use multiple PCs every day. Having 2 layouts slows you down.
That's why I try to have multilingual keyboards for everything I use. But again, I know I'm in the minority, including at work :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 6, 2013
2198 posts
1580 upvotes
Toronto
dgege wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:46 am
That's why I try to have multilingual keyboards for everything I use. But again, I know I'm in the minority, including at work :)
Or, just request for English keyboard at work and use USB English keyboard at home. only use laptop keyboard when outside in the coffee shop / in class, etc.
It's always good to be underestimated.---Donald Trump

I never downvote anyone and I try to help everyone.
Nov 21, 2017
65 posts
15 upvotes
davetel wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 9:11 am
Just FYI and my 2 cents.

I've bought 2 desktop computers (both Asus ROG) from Nmicrovip.

Both refurb but in grade A condition. Windows 10 on both are legit with no software problems at all.

Very happy with my purchases. The only gripe is that they only came with 90 day warranty where as ca.refurb.io has 1 year warranty. The trade off...ca.refurb.io has more bad reviews.

I would definitely buy from Nmicrovip again.
Was considering getting a desktop from them but sadly they didn't have one with similar specs to this laptop around the price range (or considerably lower as desktops with similar specs should be). I guess the limited selection is another limitation of this store. I think the price of this laptop is fantastic if it comes in grade A condition as I will run it as both my main PC connected to a monitor and a laptop on the go. Does Asus make docking stations for these laptops?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21752 posts
2450 upvotes
GeForce MX? Wow I haven't heard that name since...2001? LOL. I remember back then when I had a GeForce 2MX...one of only two Nvidia GPUs I've ever owned (okay three if you count the Quadro I once had in a D620 laptop). It certainly wasn't for [polygon] gaming but it did the (2D) job and had multi-monitor and TV out--yes those were considered
"features" back then.

Anyway, they still brand with the MX name? Is this thing actually faster than integrated? Or is it just one of those "we can say it has a dGPU" jobbies?
Jun 8, 2008
85 posts
61 upvotes
thelasthunter wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 12:23 am
Can any past nmicrovip customers chime in on the quality of their refurbs? I know that most of the reviews are positive, but it's a rather small sample. Refurb.io also had a positive cadre of review initially but, as the website became popular on RFD, their reviews became much more mixed ,in terms of the unit condition and the company's customer service to address problems. Hope that's not the case here.
I bought our last desktop (an Asus ROG) from them. It's been perfect, and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them again.