Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1379 posts
80 upvotes
Milton

No credit card with SPC?

I used my VIP SPC card at [rfdlink=115]Zellers[/rfdlink] the other day, and the lady at the checkout told me I can't use my credit card when using the SPC card. IS this only [rfdlink=115]Zellers[/rfdlink] policy, or is it for every place? The only other place I've used the card is booking a flight at Flight Centre.
10 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12990 posts
1471 upvotes
does your credit card offer an additional discount on the purchase? if it doesn't, sounds like they are BSing you.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
FS: Acer Predator G1-710 Gaming PC
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1379 posts
80 upvotes
Milton
It's just a regular cc. I thought it was because they have to give a % of the sale to the CC company, plus give me 10% if I use it, so I thought maybe it was standard policy to only accept cash/debit for SPC purchases.
Sep 28, 2008
334 posts
2648 upvotes
GTA
I swear some cashiers make up their own rules.

I use my credit card and spc all the time without any problem.
Usually Zellers have two different checkout areas, I would go to another cashier a few minutes later. Or you could ask to speak with a Manager.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2007
1379 posts
80 upvotes
Milton
I didn't have a problem paying with cash, I just had never heard of this before and didn't know if it was a policy of Zellers or the SPC card.
Dec 28, 2007
237 posts
31 upvotes
This is neither SPC's nor Hbc's policy. The cashier was clearly misinformed.
Jul 3, 2008
549 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
bmo has spc+mastercard for students free
Deal Addict
May 13, 2005
1310 posts
417 upvotes
Ottawa
I've never heard such thing... why no credit card with SPC? Looks like the cashier made his/her own rules. I used it all the time with no problem, just the credit card discount with SPC may depend on store, sometimes I got it, sometimes I don't.
May 27, 2007
16088 posts
4769 upvotes
Toronto
nerdnik wrote: This is neither SPC's nor Hbc's policy. The cashier was clearly misinformed.

+1
You got owned by the cashier... :rolleyes:
next time ask to speak to a manager and tell them to show you where it says that you cant use a credit card with your VIP SPC Card.
RedFlagDeals.com
See an inappropriate post? Use the "Report Post" function to alert Moderators!
Jun 18, 2006
35 posts
2 upvotes
mjjrules wrote: I used my VIP SPC card at Zellers the other day, and the lady at the checkout told me I can't use my credit card when using the SPC card. IS this only Zellers policy, or is it for every place? The only other place I've used the card is booking a flight at Flight Centre.
That's ridiculous... i think the cashier was confusing the SPC Card with the SPC Credit card?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
35606 posts
18999 upvotes
mjjrules wrote: It's just a regular cc. I thought it was because they have to give a % of the sale to the CC company...
That's true, but no retail stores I know of other than computer stores actually pass that fee on to the customer differently between payment methods. I.e. At stores other than computer stores, everyone essentially pays that %age for CC payments--it's just built into the price as if everyone were buying with a CC.

As an aside, technically speaking merchant agreements with CC companies do not allow the retailer to add on a charge for credit card payments AFAIK. How computer stores get out of this is that they change the wording--prices are "cash discounted" when paying by cash/interac instead of a surcharge for a CC payment.

As everyone else said, there should be no issues using an SPC with a CC. Cashier was just ******** I'd imagine.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)