Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver

No Frills meat mis-labeled?

I bought a cheap roast this week at No Frills to try out the 500 degree cooking method on. The No Frills stick on label describes it as "grade AA or higher and product of Canada" but the plastic on it is imprinted that it is USDA Inspected Select. I know that US Select is the same as Canada AA but is this Canadian beef meant for the US market or is it imported US beef?
16 replies
May 29, 2010
162 posts
9 upvotes
Toronto
I've found that many cuts of beef (steaks, etc) at No Frills are imported from the US. So if you want Canadian beef, make sure it says so on the label. What you bought could very well be imported US beef. The No Frills stick on label could be a mislabeling.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
USDA Select is the equivalent of Canada AA.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 4, 2009
6575 posts
726 upvotes
mslolo wrote: I bought a cheap roast this week at No Frills to try out the 500 degree cooking method on. The No Frills stick on label describes it as "grade AA or higher and product of Canada" but the plastic on it is imprinted that it is USDA Inspected Select. I know that US Select is the same as Canada AA but is this Canadian beef meant for the US market or is it imported US beef?

method X? That method works only for prime rib with a bone in it...
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
I'd swap that around.
Toss in a 250F oven for a bunch of hours then finish it at 500F.

Even the picture they have has a giant band of well done.
Not so much an issue in something really tender like a Prime Rib, but an issue for something tougher like Eye of Round.
Deal Addict
Mar 4, 2011
1057 posts
175 upvotes
Vancouver
death_hawk wrote: I'd swap that around.
Toss in a 250F oven for a bunch of hours then finish it at 500F.

Even the picture they have has a giant band of well done.
Not so much an issue in something really tender like a Prime Rib, but an issue for something tougher like Eye of Round.
I usually cook my roasts using the America's Test Kitchen method. Sear on stove top then throw in 250F oven for a few hours. Just thought I would try something new and the $ invested is low so not a great loss if it tanks.

edit. Anyways too late, already in oven :cheesygri
Mar 22, 2010
412 posts
11 upvotes
Costco Imports Most Of Its Meat From The US also .as well as certain fish from chile
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
Keelenorth wrote: Costco Imports Most Of Its Meat From The US also .as well as certain fish from chile
Then why do the meat trays and store banners say 'Canada AAA Beef'?

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
jayt90 wrote: Then why do the meat trays and store banners say 'Canada AAA Beef'?
Maybe this a location / supply / time of year thing. In the past two months, I've only seen US beef at my local costco. Not just US beef, but "blade tenderized" US beef. I was very upset when I realized what I had bought, thought maybe it was just the cut I had chosen. Went back a few weeks later and saw that all their beef was US and blade tenderized.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2004
6935 posts
84 upvotes
Not sure about this, but I'm guessing they ramped up imports from the US as a reaction to the XL recalls and haven't switched back yet.
vero95 wrote: LOL what does project management have to do with project being over budget?
vero95 wrote: $5c for a plastic bag >= $30 for a jug of milk
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3160 posts
639 upvotes
Toronto
Picked up a pack of steaks at Costco last night, they're back to serving AAA Canadian Beef, at least at my location.

The "blade tenderized" notices remain, I am dissapoint.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
6029 posts
1391 upvotes
Toronto
mslolo wrote: I bought a cheap roast this week at No Frills to try out the 500 degree cooking method on. The No Frills stick on label describes it as "grade AA or higher and product of Canada" but the plastic on it is imprinted that it is USDA Inspected Select. I know that US Select is the same as Canada AA but is this Canadian beef meant for the US market or is it imported US beef?
I think what happened is the store used the wrong PLU# on their scale. They used the one meant for their regular roasts that are tray packed from Cargill. Usually they have a different code for the cryovac ones that do not state the grade because the company's buyers use a variety of vendors from Canada and the US to support those sales.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
0xffff wrote: Picked up a pack of steaks at Costco last night, they're back to serving AAA Canadian Beef, at least at my location.

The "blade tenderized" notices remain, I am dissapoint.
Apparently they've always done it, but just recently due to the XL Foods thing started labelling it.
costco-does-blade-tenderizing-house-1283773/
Deal Addict
Aug 5, 2011
2313 posts
192 upvotes
YF
Are their chickens (in Styrofoam packs) Canadian or US ?

US chicken I am concern with the fast growing substances they use, antibiotics and steroid.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 18, 2009
5016 posts
559 upvotes
Southwestern Ontario
IMWHFMPC wrote: Are their chickens (in Styrofoam packs) Canadian or US ?

US chicken I am concern with the fast growing substances they use, antibiotics and steroid.
The chicken trays I have bought there over several years have been air dried, hormone free and grain fed, from Maple Leaf or Lilydale (Alberta). Antibiotics are used in Canada unless otherwise specified.

Packard
Ask the man who owns one!
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18841 posts
1955 upvotes
Elmira
My local Sobeys has a small selection of antibiotic free chicken now. At almost double the price...

It's got a green label and says "Just Chicken" on it, with the caption reading hormone & antibiotic free