No Frills no longer offering boxes to the public

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 8:19 am
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2014
2960 posts
632 upvotes
lecale wrote: no because the grocery stores pay a deposit on the crates
I would guess same goes for the vareity store?
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2005
1784 posts
652 upvotes
St. John's
I was in a local No Frills over the weekend and they are still giving boxes in NL.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2017
1062 posts
857 upvotes
GTA
Here in the west GTA, some of the oriental indies still put them out for customer use.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: I would guess same goes for the vareity store?
yup, but you may be able to buy some for the deposit amount, ask
Jan 4, 2008
26 posts
9 upvotes
pefferlaw
I emailed their corporate office about a month ago and asked if this was a greed thing. Needless to say I never got a response. I used boxes even when the bags were free. I hate carrying 5 bags when I can just drop the items in one box. Before they got rid of the free boxes I purchased three large bins that holds all my groceries. And that's my 5 cents worth on this matter!
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2017
3046 posts
2146 upvotes
Boxes still available at my local No Frills (Cambridge). I hope the dealer doesn't remove it
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
Piranhaguy wrote: Foodbasics at Thornhill used to have lots of boxes but they were removed and I tried to pick up an empty one in the aisle and employes came over and said I was not allowed to touch or use them. This was year ago and I notice most all other Foodbasics and No frills following the trend.
I would of left my cart full of groceries right then and there.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12700 posts
15951 upvotes
antigua1999 wrote: Free bags gone. Free boxes gone. What's next?
No bags at all. Victoria, BC, as of July banned all plastic bags. Matter of time all plastic bags will be banned everywhere.
Have a nice day!

Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8633 posts
2399 upvotes
Mississauga
LonesomeDove wrote: No bags at all. Victoria, BC, as of July banned all plastic bags. Matter of time all plastic bags will be banned everywhere.
I agree they should be banned.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Must be making up for lost profits because of minimum wage hike.
Jan 4, 2008
26 posts
9 upvotes
pefferlaw
This is the response I got from my email. The store I go to was a converted Canadian Tire so the whole place is congested.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
Many of our customers have told us that while they love the great value that No Frills delivers everyday, they feel that many of our stores are congested and in particular the front of our stores where customers pack their groceries. The decision to divert our cardboard waste to our instore recycling program has created an opportunity for more free space in a critical part of our store and at a time when customers are increasingly focused on re-usable bags.

We hope you will appreciate our efforts to balance all factors in a decision like this one, and that you will continue to support your local No Frills
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
27765 posts
27801 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Speaking of reusable bags & boxes

Was in Loblaws today with my PC+ Green Box... and the cashier told me that PC+ Loblaws Group has discontinued them

No more being made or sold.

That’s startling news, as these Shopping Bins have been around since the late 1980s / early 1990s... clearly remembering when they were introduced and buying my first one

Lol, like many Customers ... we now own several ... many having been sidelined into service over the years for purposes other than hauling groceries to and from the Grocery Store... so can be found in our pantry, car, garage, laundry room, workshop, or on camping / cottage excursions... containing / corralling odds & ends.

Wonder if PC+ Loblaws Group will be replacing them with anything else. Know that Costco has found success selling those foldable crates from an outside supplier... between those and the Costco branded insulated refrigerator bags... they’ve sort of become signature ways to shop at Costco.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2460 posts
2960 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Watching car reviews on the internet, 2018+ Rolls Royce luxury vehicles comes with umbrellas built into the rear passenger doors. Push the button and a large umbrella pops out for use

My Dodge Caravan, vans and SUVs should come with a built in shopping trolly or shopping cardboard box into the doors instead. Would make my life so much simpler Grinning Face With Smiling EyesGrinning Face With Smiling EyesFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2006
1990 posts
1047 upvotes
Winnipeg
antigua1999 wrote: I agree they should be banned.
Me too. Plastic bags should be banned. Can't stand seeing this kind of thing happening.

Lorenzo
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9280 posts
3006 upvotes
London
sprites34 wrote: This is the response I got from my email. The store I go to was a converted Canadian Tire so the whole place is congested.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
Many of our customers have told us that while they love the great value that No Frills delivers everyday, they feel that many of our stores are congested and in particular the front of our stores where customers pack their groceries. The decision to divert our cardboard waste to our instore recycling program has created an opportunity for more free space in a critical part of our store and at a time when customers are increasingly focused on re-usable bags.

We hope you will appreciate our efforts to balance all factors in a decision like this one, and that you will continue to support your local No Frills
Bah, corporate doublespeak.

I noticed at my local No Frills the section where the boxes were is now taken up with a useless display of bottles of water. The congestion is just as bad, because there isn't really any extra space, and there's still barely enough room for a couple of carts at the end of the belt.
Deal Addict
Aug 24, 2006
1215 posts
661 upvotes
westnylefx wrote: Slightly Offtopic but is there anywhere like a grocery store that would still give out milk crates for free?
Certain restaurants...
They give them to them with there dairy if they order enough dairy ( no deposit) they are meant to be returned at a later delivery... but theres no tracking involved..
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I'm surprised that no one is mentioning minimum wage hike for the lack of free boxes.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Jan 12, 2017
815 posts
959 upvotes
YK
sandikosh wrote: I'm surprised that no one is mentioning minimum wage hike for the lack of free boxes.
In ON, do you think the PC government will freeze minimum wage at $14/hr? I think $15 was scheduled for Jan 2019.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
4763 posts
2462 upvotes
NoWynne2018 wrote: In ON, do you think the PC government will freeze minimum wage at $14/hr? I think $15 was scheduled for Jan 2019.
Minimum wage is $14/hr now ? Wow, crazy
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide