[No Frills] President's Choice Cast-iron Wok with Lid

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 19th, 2017 12:56 pm
[OP]
Oct 28, 2005
284 posts
63 upvotes

[No Frills] President's Choice Cast-iron Wok with Lid

Just bought one. It's huge. I think this a great price for such a large wok.
Images
  • wok.JPG
135 replies
Jan 25, 2012
210 posts
35 upvotes
This is great value. I have an earlier version with wooden handle and without the lid and I love it other than the handle kept coming off. So I bought this one yesterday and just used it this afternoon for some stir fry. It is huge, heats up fast, is not too heavy, is quite non-stick and is great on my induction cooktop. I highly recommend it.
Jan 12, 2006
534 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
The image looks more like carbon steel than cast iron.
Jan 25, 2012
210 posts
35 upvotes
ttoommyy wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 3:29 pm
The image looks more like carbon steel than cast iron.
It is indeed cast iron not carbon steel. It is nicely machined so that it is thin and smooth unlike the old cast iron cookware.
Deal Addict
Jun 7, 2008
1866 posts
20 upvotes
Toronto
Does this have a non-stick coating?
I would prefer one without since I will be using super high heat for the wok.

And is it flat or round bottom?
Last edited by tragd on Oct 15th, 2017 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 31, 2017
1448 posts
432 upvotes
Does it come with the oven top element metal converter to hold the roundish bottom of the wok in place? I don't see how you can get enough heat using a normal oven top.
Jan 12, 2006
534 posts
40 upvotes
Edmonton
rdfnewbe wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 3:28 pm
This is great value. I have an earlier version with wooden handle and without the lid and I love it other than the handle kept coming off. So I bought this one yesterday and just used it this afternoon for some stir fry. It is huge, heats up fast, is not too heavy, is quite non-stick and is great on my induction cooktop. I highly recommend it.
Is there a non stick surface?
Jan 25, 2012
210 posts
35 upvotes
badOne wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 3:38 pm
Does it come with the oven top element metal converter to hold the roundish bottom of the wok in place? I don't see how you can get enough heat using a normal oven top.
tragd wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 3:36 pm
Does this have a non-stick coating?
I would prefer one without since I will be using super high heat for the wok.

And is it flat or round bottom?
It is flat bottom that's why I can use it on my induction cooktop. You don't need any wok ring to make it work with electric range or cooktop. This can be an advantage compared to round bottomed wok as the wok is much closer to or touching the heating element making heat transfer better. There is no non-stick coating and since this is cast iron, once it is seasoned, it is naturally non-stick. I use high heat all the time as my induction cooktop can heat it up to very high temperature quickly due to it being quite thin. I also use it on a high power outdoor propane burner as well. By the way, the package says that it is pre-seasoned and it is indeed quite non-stick already on my first use.

Just beware that if you have a glass cooktop like me, you need to be careful not to slide it around too much or you could scratch the glass. The bottom is quite smooth already but you can sand it with some fine grid sandpaper to make it smoother.
Feb 16, 2003
251 posts
7 upvotes
How many inches top/lid?

Anyone knows what's no frill's equivalent in QC? or whch store?

Is this regular price or sale?
WTB:
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1219 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
I've actually been looking for a wok for a while and this is a good price. I'll have to go and see if I can find one of these and check the quality. I like that there is no non-stick coating because I hate teflon but I also have a "glass" (ceramic) cook top and if it slides around too much that could be problematic.

Can someone who has this measure the diameter and height of the wok? I live in a small condo I hope it's not too large otherwise storage will be an issue. :(
Jul 4, 2016
17 posts
35 upvotes
gqbluez wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 4:00 pm
I've actually been looking for a wok for a while and this is a good price. I'll have to go and see if I can find one of these and check the quality. I like that there is no non-stick coating because I hate teflon but I also have a "glass" (ceramic) cook top and if it slides around too much that could be problematic.

Can someone who has this measure the diameter and height of the wok? I live in a small condo I hope it's not too large otherwise storage will be an issue. :(
Top diameter is 40cm. Height is 11cm. This thing is huge. The price is good. The only down side is, you gotta dry it after wash, or it'll get rusty overnight.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2002
2609 posts
162 upvotes
Brampton
iamdesperado wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 4:20 pm
Top diameter is 40cm. Height is 11cm. This thing is huge. The price is good. The only down side is, you gotta dry it after wash, or it'll get rusty overnight.
Rub a few drops of oil in as well.
How well stocked are these? I won't have a chance to look today.
Jan 25, 2012
210 posts
35 upvotes
iamdesperado wrote:
I just heat it up lightly on the cooktop to dry it. Once it is seasoned, it should not rust if you don't use too much soap to wash it and don't scrub too hard.
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
1219 posts
226 upvotes
Toronto
iamdesperado wrote:
Thanks for the measurements! 40cm is definitely big.

I'm big on cast iron and have a few lodge and le creuset products both enameled and non-enameled and am used to having to dry them and oil them. Love the way they cook though.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2135 posts
1234 upvotes
Toronto, ON
rdfnewbe wrote:
Oct 15th, 2017 3:32 pm
It is indeed cast iron not carbon steel. It is nicely machined so that it is thin and smooth unlike the old cast iron cookware.
Actually the old cast iron cookware was also nicely machined smooth. It's the modern cast iron that's not, because it's cheaper to skip that step. It's surprising to find new smooth cast iron cookware.
In general, carbon steel transmits heat more quickly and evenly than cast iron, but cast iron stores heat longer and has a higher emissivity (it radiates heat from the surface). Not that it makes enough difference to really matter to most people, as your cooking skill and experience will make a bigger difference.
Looks like a nice pan, and a good price. Thanks OP.