Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2034 posts
1410 upvotes
GTA

No Frills' repetitive, tired flyers/sales

Is it just me? I find No Frills weekly specials to be the same products week in and week out, and much of it unhealthy crap that I will never buy. And often their deals aren't deals at all.

I'm a frugal shopper and No Frills is my neighborhood discount grocer, but I don't think i'd shop there if it weren't for the ability to price match Freshco, Food Basics and occasionally Walmart.

I wonder if they're afraid they would take business from Loblaws if they had more variety and better products on sale.
32 replies
Deal Guru
Jun 26, 2011
11573 posts
1836 upvotes
Markham
I have to agree that in the last while the flyers have seemed pretty "blah". I don't shop there as much as I used to also because the stores usually aren't as clean and there are too many people.
Jun 19, 2015
543 posts
396 upvotes
I usually just check the front page for chicken wings, hamburger, pork etc. But you're right, most of the flyer is fairly repetitive.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9902 posts
4356 upvotes
Toronto
Boycott!!

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
9020 posts
931 upvotes
Pretty much. Freshco and Food Basics have low prices but it's for junk food. Unhealthy etc.
Oct 14, 2017
785 posts
520 upvotes
GTA
Personally, I don't expect to see the same degree of variety in the flyers from discount chain and those that compete in a higher price tier. Part of the brand positioning for No Frills and its competitors in the former category is being able to offer lower prices by carrying fewer items that turn over more often, and by spending less on advertising; for example, by having flyers with fewer pages in which to show products. They also tend to put items in their flyers that their overall customer bases are more likely to buy more of. And in No Frills' case, they raise the sameness of their flyers by repeating quite a few items for a second week.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending No Frills' flyers or their marketing practices. Since it's the closest major chain to me, I'd prefer it if I had more reasons to go there. But like OP's store, my nearby one is very busy and not especially clean. These and the limited product selection are all key reasons why I seldom shop there.
Dec 28, 2008
106 posts
130 upvotes
Up until a couple years ago, they never even had flyers. I assume they repeat sale prices for weeks on end to reduce payroll costs associated with changing sales tags and whatnot. I find their sale prices are still decent. This week there were a number of items that I price matched from No Frills at Superstore.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5309 posts
762 upvotes
Toronto
The parent company is waaay too deep into it with their vendors. If you keep track what companies are constantly getting (paying into) the flyers, you'll see they are repetitive because they are really institutional sales.

Edit: I guess I can add....having repetitive sales SHOULD give the stores better sales projections based on history. But as some (most?) shoppers may point out their local stores OOS on sale items, this might not be the case. Having too many different items in the flyer they havent sold before would cause a lot of issues at the office level, especially considering these are million dollar purchases.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
May 31, 2008
575 posts
289 upvotes
Toronto
If you think no frills is bad - don't look at Canadian Tire. That is month by month - year over year repetitive.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
7003 posts
4517 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
submalst wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 7:24 pm
If you think no frills is bad - don't look at Canadian Tire. That is month by month - year over year repetitive.
Lol... true
But that is because the store is primarily run on seasonal merchandise
(Gardening - Snowblowers - Sports Equipment - Christmas Stuff etc)
Plus automotive & hardware
And some Kitchen stuff
Easy here to put everything on rotation
Or not ... some claim there are items at CT that literally NEVER go on sale
And bring in fat profits for CT year round
Jul 14, 2013
504 posts
69 upvotes
I find it odd that nofrills doesn't price match SDU ("drug" mart), when both are owned by Loblaw, for an identical product even PC menu items.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1191 posts
190 upvotes
No frills is my fav grocery store overall. Best prices. Perhaps not the best selection, and sometimes the produce isn’t as nice as Sobeys/whatnot, but canned goods, yogurt, non perishable stuff it’s the best bang for your buck. This is rfd baby.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1849 posts
595 upvotes
B.C.
SMurrayNB wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:23 am
Up until a couple years ago, they never even had flyers. I assume they repeat sale prices for weeks on end to reduce payroll costs associated with changing sales tags and whatnot. I find their sale prices are still decent. This week there were a number of items that I price matched from No Frills at Superstore.
Sure they did..

I remember shopping at No Frills for TV dinners in college when they went on sale... every few weeks! Face With Tears Of Joy That was 12 years ago.
May 28, 2012
9969 posts
2111 upvotes
Saskatoon
n0thing wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:21 pm
I find it odd that nofrills doesn't price match SDU ("drug" mart), when both are owned by Loblaw, for an identical product even PC menu items.
No Frills and Shoppers Drug Marts are both franchised, they aren't owned by Loblaws.
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2016
2065 posts
1110 upvotes
PointsHubby wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 8:06 pm
Lol... true
But that is because the store is primarily run on seasonal merchandise
(Gardening - Snowblowers - Sports Equipment - Christmas Stuff etc)
Plus automotive & hardware
And some Kitchen stuff
Easy here to put everything on rotation
Or not ... some claim there are items at CT that literally NEVER go on sale
And bring in fat profits for CT year round
Crappy Tire has their "core" items on a 3-4 week rotation in order to satisfy competition laws. If you want something, just wait for its turn on the rotation or else you paid WAY too much. I explain it here:

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/how-doe ... #p30217192

Perhaps the OP is noticing a similar strategy used by No Frills?