• Jan 14th, 2019 1:28 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7396 posts
1204 upvotes
Mars2012 wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 12:35 am
No Frills and Shoppers Drug Marts are both franchised, they aren't owned by Loblaws.
They may not own the physical store, but loblaws still gets their piece of the pie for providing them the brand and everything around it.
Oct 14, 2017
785 posts
520 upvotes
GTA
EPcjay wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 9:36 am
They may not own the physical store, but loblaws still gets their piece of the pie for providing them the brand and everything around it.
How is this relevant to the fact that the statement about Loblaw owning No Frills and SDM stores is incorrect?
Mar 24, 2016
512 posts
435 upvotes
scarborough
Jonric wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:31 am
How is this relevant to the fact that the statement about Loblaw owning No Frills and SDM stores is incorrect?
franchise owners probably have no say in advertising. it up to corporate office.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7396 posts
1204 upvotes
Jonric wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 10:31 am
Again, having the physical title of being a owner is one thing, but virtually have no freedom to run it like your own because its governed by a multi-billion corporation. Owners have no say in to a lot of things and major policies is one of them. Some stores don't even want to honour price matching, but are forced to.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7803 posts
1061 upvotes
Toronto
Haven't been to No Frills in weeks.
The Weston scammers have their customer base busily distracted and collecting points to realize what's up.
Aug 20, 2009
6841 posts
1549 upvotes
Grimsby
I don't often visit No Frills for this reason. Most of the sales aren't very good and the ones that are tend to be for crappy food items. We choose to go to Food Basics for our discount shopping and Sobeys/RCSS when we've got room leftover in the budget or just want a specific item.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6995 posts
4500 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
gh05t wrote:
Jan 10th, 2019 11:57 am
Haven't been to No Frills in weeks.
The Weston scammers have their customer base busily distracted and collecting points to realize what's up.
FYI ... the PC+ Loyalty Program was in effect from 2013
Long before the Bread Scam came to light in 2015
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5309 posts
761 upvotes
Toronto
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 11:21 pm
Sure they did..

I remember shopping at No Frills for TV dinners in college when they went on sale... every few weeks! Face With Tears Of Joy That was 12 years ago.
They became more and more of a flyer store in the last 2 decades...more than a "few" years ago, just how the food retail business went. I remember closer to 20 years ago, their flyers were more of 1-2 pages of 20 items close to how a Whole foods flyer looked like. And instead they focused on very low priced staple foods (milk butter, eggs, bread, etc.). But that model won't suffice in today's market.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19978 posts
3880 upvotes
Poormond Hill
Kfox wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 12:12 am
Is it just me? I find No Frills weekly specials to be the same products week in and week out, and much of it unhealthy crap that I will never buy. And often their deals aren't deals at all.

I'm a frugal shopper and No Frills is my neighborhood discount grocer, but I don't think i'd shop there if it weren't for the ability to price match Freshco, Food Basics and occasionally Walmart.

I wonder if they're afraid they would take business from Loblaws if they had more variety and better products on sale.
You can't be serious. People who shop at Loblaws will not find themselves in a No Frills.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Mar 24, 2016
512 posts
435 upvotes
scarborough
Im found the same at Freshco. Very boring ads and repetitive

I can only assume that it is a marketing strategy so you will buy from their premium stores such as loblaws, Metro or Sobeys.

i find also the Food basics usually offers different sales weekly (not as repetitive)

I still go yo No frills because of the pc points which i find is really good and to price much some items
Oct 14, 2017
785 posts
520 upvotes
GTA
explorer11 wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 7:21 am
Im found the same at Freshco. Very boring ads and repetitive

I can only assume that it is a marketing strategy so you will buy from their premium stores such as loblaws, Metro or Sobeys.

i find also the Food basics usually offers different sales weekly (not as repetitive)

I still go yo No frills because of the pc points which i find is really good and to price much some items
The discount chains stock fewer products than their associated premium ones, so they have fewer things they can put in their flyers. This almost certainly has a related effect that may not be obvious. A manufacturer that has for example, five products stocked by Loblaws but only two of those by No Frills is likely to want Loblaws to show more than two out of five during a given year. This doesn't mean all of them will appear in flyers equally often, but it does factor into Loblaws' flyers showing more products, both over time and most weeks.

Although Loblaw Cos. would like No Frills shoppers to switch to Loblaws, the probability that the strategy you stated has been adopted is negligible. Marketing people and departments sometimes don't show great common sense, but the likelihood that they're naive enough to think this strategy would produce a meaningful migration of customers is effectively zero. Regular No Frills shoppers, unless they're quite naive, already know their stores stock fewer products than Loblaws. But they continue to shop at No Frills anyway.
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2006
2140 posts
495 upvotes
Ontario
My issue with No Frills is that they don't stock enough of popular items in their flyer.

If it's a good deal, it's not unusual for them to be sold out of the item late Thu or Friday. No deliveries on the weekend so your lucky to see it restocked by Tue/Wed. And then new sales start on Thu.

So they know they're taking a loss or minimal profit on these sale items so they don't stock enough for the demand that they should be able to anticipate.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery 4% CTC 5 c/L CTC/Husky free roadside 1% on bill pay
Bank: Alterna (2%+, no fees)
Brokers: IB (For. stocks/low comm)/Reg. RBCDI(service, USD)
Dec 20, 2018
178 posts
107 upvotes
speedyforme wrote:
Jan 9th, 2019 10:12 am
Pretty much. Freshco and Food Basics have low prices but it's for junk food. Unhealthy etc.
Fresco is $2 for a lb of ground chicken this week!
Oct 14, 2017
785 posts
520 upvotes
GTA
minimalist wrote:
Jan 11th, 2019 9:42 pm
My issue with No Frills is that they don't stock enough of popular items in their flyer.
This seems more like an issue with one or more stores you shop at, not the chain as a whole. The one near me usually has lots of stock of certain things and not much of others, so it differs item by item rather than being consistent a consistent stocking policy for the store.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8616 posts
1933 upvotes
London
Jonric wrote:
Jan 12th, 2019 11:10 am
This seems more like an issue with one or more stores you shop at, not the chain as a whole. The one near me usually has lots of stock of certain things and not much of others, so it differs item by item rather than being consistent a consistent stocking policy for the store.
I agree. IMHO stock issues breakdown into two problems; inadequate ordering, or living in an area where customers are aggressive about stocking up on deals. I know one of the locations I frequent always places limits on sale items, while others don't. If I decide to be one of the aggressive shoppers, I'm going to the location without limits.

FWIW, SDM limits (some or all?) sale items to 4 per customer.