Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14664 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 8:25 pm
So, human error = scam?
Go back Monday. If the sign is still there it is PURELY a scam.
By now, there has been enough time to declare human error and have the organic signs removed.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5649 posts
765 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 8:29 pm
Go back Monday. If the sign is still there it is PURELY a scam.
By now, there has been enough time to declare human error and have the organic signs removed.
Depends on if someone reported it. I wouldn’t bother notifying an employee about it while I was shopping.

I suppose a staff member should’ve noticed the error by now.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5540 posts
1708 upvotes
Aurora
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 8:11 pm
Maybe the worker doesn't know what organic means and left the sign there.
Hell, I don't know what organic really means, other that it's supposed to be better and I don't get to worked up or excited about the word
Oct 9, 2006
510 posts
55 upvotes
BTW, the PLU code for organic produce starts with 9. i.e. organic red grapes -> 94023
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
playnicee1 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 4:51 pm
Okay I get it.
These grapes are NOT organic...where does it say so on the actual packaging? Right??
Plu started with a 4xxx. Usually organic is 9xxxx
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
DaveTheDude wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 4:19 pm
The scam must only be obvious to the OP. Sour grapes?
I guess most of rfd doesn't buy organic cause not many knows they start with 9xxxx as their plu.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2012
14664 posts
2736 upvotes
Toronto
qaz393 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 1:11 am
I guess most of rfd doesn't buy organic cause not many knows they start with 9xxxx as their plu.
I just figure if it doesn't say "organic" it isn't. lol
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
12634 posts
846 upvotes
The organic signs are for the produce on the other side. I understand your confusion but it's not a big deal.
----------------------
References:
My HoFo, eBay, HeaT & RFD Feedback! 100% POSITIVE!
Available upon request.
Rehan wrote:
Nov 13th, 2009 4:04 pm
All of you shut your mouths and leave the OP alone.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
23987 posts
9518 upvotes
qaz393 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 1:11 am
I guess most of rfd doesn't buy organic
Why would we? We're here to save money, not overpay for bunk.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 3:49 pm
Why would we? We're here to save money, not overpay for bunk.
i guess free fertilizer and other chemical makes the product you buy more value too.........
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 2, 2008
11759 posts
1623 upvotes
Siefer999 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 9:19 am
The organic signs are for the produce on the other side. I understand your confusion but it's not a big deal.
dang. this just confirmed my mental problems i am having. thanks
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5102 posts
1782 upvotes
For those who purchase organic produce (and I do from time to time), there is no guarantee that the produce is pesticide-free.

Here is a response I got from Driscoll's with respect to their organic strawberries and whether they use pesticides or not:

Thank you for taking the time to ask about our growing practices at Driscoll's. Growing conditions vary from farm to farm and among different growing regions around the world. Depending on these conditions, berry farmers may need to take action to protect their crop by using protective materials. Any pesticide that is used must be in compliance with federal and state laws, and must comply with the pesticide registration policies of the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (US EPA), and the berries must also be in compliance with legal pesticide tolerances established by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (US FDA). For additional information on specific pesticides available for use by berry farmers, please refer to the US EPA's website at www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/index.htm

The type of farming method used to grow the berries (organic or non-organic) will also determine what options the farmer has to protect the crop. An organic farmer can only use pesticides that have been approved for certified organic farming by the United State Department of Agriculture's (USDA) National Organic Standards Program. A non-organic farmer can choose to use either an approved organic or a non-organic pesticide. Driscoll’s is also one of the largest suppliers of organic berries with a product line that includes strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. We are proud to offer consumers a wide assortment of organic and non-organic berries that allows consumers to have a choice when purchasing Driscoll's berries.

Hopefully this information has offered some insight into our growing practices.