• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2010 3:27 pm
[OP]
Dec 12, 2005
365 posts
45 upvotes
Guelph

No Frills on a thursday.

There is no point of shopping at a no frills on a thursday. The specials are always sold out. The freezer/dairy bunkers are empty with signs apologizing "sorry we're out of x product, due to supplier" It's a sad situation.

I guess what i am trying to say is always shop there on a friday.
36 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2778 posts
497 upvotes
Ajax
You have to be unemployed , welfare mom to snag the specials cause while we work they pillage the deals
Jul 31, 2008
219 posts
42 upvotes
Isn't this the case with most "discount" grocery stores - trying to buy the front page flyer specials on the last day of the current sale.

In most cases, they're filling up stock for the new sale starting on Friday.

I would lump Price Chopper in the same category as NoFrills but I've noticed lately that Food Basics have stock on the last day.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2020 upvotes
Nowhere
gostinger wrote:
Aug 12th, 2010 3:54 pm
You have to be unemployed , welfare mom to snag the specials cause while we work they pillage the deals
What an ignorant comment!!
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2005
6657 posts
266 upvotes
St. Catharines
Cheap Cat wrote:
Aug 12th, 2010 4:09 pm
What an ignorant comment!!
He's likely girlfriendless 30+ and lives in his parents basement with zero expenses. Mommy does his laundry, cooks all his meals still to probably.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7366 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
sears_sucks wrote:
Aug 12th, 2010 3:47 pm
There is no point of shopping at a no frills on a thursday. The specials are always sold out. The freezer/dairy bunkers are empty with signs apologizing "sorry we're out of x product, due to supplier" It's a sad situation.

I guess what i am trying to say is always shop there on a friday.
Best thing is just take the flyer and go to Walmart and price match. I find this at No Frills, but also other grocery stores. There often is low stock or little selection for some sale items. I just take the flyer and go to Walmart. Price matching there is very quick and easy and they more frequently have the item in stock than the stores with the sale. Having said that, I do sometimes shop at No Frills, but have been doing more and more price matching at Walmart because of the issue you mention (and it isn't just on Thursdays). I also tried a price match twice at No Frills under their new price matching policy and it wasn't easy and took a lot of time as they have to call a manager, get them to come over and sign the flyer and they have to keep the flyer in their till. Not simple or quick at all.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8227 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
No Frills by us is awesome, my new favorite store.

altho they are getting really anal about what they pricematch and love to exclude entire stores on a poster you see entering the store. gg "pricematch" policy. I can generally live without pricematching at No Frills though, they don't usually get beat.

I usually hit it up on a Friday or Tuesday for specials. Lots of the elderly shop at No Frills in our area and they don't have much else to do tbh so they grab what's important to them on special. But thankfully they don't eat junk food s much lol
Mar 30, 2010
733 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
If you know everything is gone on Thursday, why not just shop on Friday??

No need to make disparaging comments about mothers/others on welfare~~that's really a low class comment.

I'm not on welfare but do stock up on bargains at any/all stores, it just makes sense!

Even the pricier stores can run out of their specials, depends on demand and supply.

Go the day the flyer changes over........easy peasy.
Jan 5, 2009
567 posts
43 upvotes
Toronto, ON
I too, was at No Frills yesterday, why? It was my only day off this week, I noticed this as well no sign of flyers and no special signs we're up

I still bought some stuff anyway, even when stuff isn't on special no frills is still fairly reasonable unlike Loblaws/Sobeys
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
1509 posts
30 upvotes
Actually I find some No Frills are good to go on Thursday cause in some cases they get new product in Wednesday night plus in some cases they will lower prices even below flyer prices cause they do not like the hassle of having to either reprice or reset the prices back to normal. As a example a few flyers ago they had different types of prepared chicken breasts for $ 1.99 but on Thursday I was able to get a large quantity of different flavors/types priced down to 99 cents.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2008
2273 posts
290 upvotes
North York
I usually have better luck on odd days like Tuesday or Wednesday for special items.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5489 posts
872 upvotes
Toronto
I once worked at No Frills (no relation to the screen name I chose)

Thursday evening along with Sunday afternoons are indeed the worst times to shop for front page sales.

The last sale loads of frozen, dairy and deli all came in on Wednesday at my store and that needs to last Wed and Thurs. Along with that all the new first bucket orders of the next ad starting Friday come in too because getting the first on Friday will be too late. If you get caught swimming in both sale stocks you wont have the storage for it. Its really bad if you get stuck with skids of a sale item after the sale is over and forced to use the sale floor space to honor more sales (keeping the old item on sale). It gets messy.

The biggest item for physical volume is the toilet paper sales. 1 skid of **** tickets can be on the floor for 5 mins at a busy time and its gone....some stores can only store 20-30 skids maximum in their stockrooms.

When pre-ordering for sale items around 6 weeks in advance, you look at how much you sold in the last sale at a similar price and what time of year it was. Right now in mid August would be the quietest time because a lot of people are away. Also look at how the product was merchandised. The numbers for the pre-book cases would look something like this for a given deli or frozen item:

Wed(pre):30 Fri:50 Sat:80 Mon:40 Wed:20

The reason for the lowest number on the last bucket is in case you booked too heavy and the weekend you dont sell as much as you thought you would (ie it might have rained and less people came to shop) earlier on. Most of the time its easier to add on to your orders on Mon & Wed than canceling them after the overstock is coming out of your ears or making store transfers. However, if the supplier resources really are exhausted then the stores are SOL on their lighter ordering. There are sometimes that the prebook number would be cut by head office if the surveys came significantly higher than expected.

Basically it would be embarrassing if you are sold out week after week on the sale items while the weekday morning shoppers buy everything (they might work, who knows). At my store we werent too bad with selling out but I was there. :lol:

As mentioned earlier, I agree with the OP that it is a bad time to do a big shop there anyway especially if its typically a busy store. The emplyees are more concerned with getting ready for the next day otherwise they will be behind on Friday.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1110 posts
235 upvotes
great post +1

Op,
It is the end of the sales event, grocery stores do usually restock after the weekend but they certainly don't want mountains of unsold stock when the ad is over, especially if it is something that only has moderate to low sales when i isn't featured. If you don't want to shop on the weekend then check out Monday or Tuesday.

Since you are shopping at No Frills I assume you are more interested in lower cost then any other factor, In order for No Frills t keep their prices low they will be at a higher risk of being sold out on flyer specials, if you want to be able to go in on Thursday and get anything in the flyer then in order to accommodate that No Frills can't be a low cost leader because having the mountains of items at the end of the flyer costs them money, you can't have it both ways especially if you value low cost way higher then anything else.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2778 posts
497 upvotes
Ajax
mysticalinfluence wrote:
Aug 12th, 2010 9:57 pm
He's likely girlfriendless 30+ and lives in his parents basement with zero expenses. Mommy does his laundry, cooks all his meals still to probably.

HA :) loserville

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)