No Frills on a thursday.

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 14th, 2010 3:27 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8227 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
hell ya. you save a fortune and loads of time running around if you are a flyer specials shopper.
Deal Addict
Oct 11, 2007
2270 posts
67 upvotes
Friday morning maybe but not at any other time here! I find it best to go in the morning. When my kids are in school I go right after I drop them off at school. I try to avoid after afternoon to Sunday at closing time!

And just for the record I'm a SAHM just so I don't get accused of being a welfare mom. :-0
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7366 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
Post by No Frills makes a lot of sense. At the same time, I often find low or no stock on sale items (not just at No Frills). As I said before, due to this I've started doing most of my shopping at Walmart and using price matching. They generally have stock most of the time and price matching is very easy (unlike at No Frills). I still go to No Frills for a few No Name/President's Choice products that I like, but found it often isn't worth it to go specifically for sale items unless I'm already there for something else.

Issuing rain checks would be one way to placate customers upset by this, but it isn't possible for stores like No Frills/Basics, so often taking the flyer and price matching is less time consuming and more likely to guarantee you get what you want.
Oct 20, 2006
91 posts
41 upvotes
Toronto
The No Frills at my place always has the sale items at the Dufferin Mall location. When something is on sale at WalMart I still go to No Frills to price match just to get PC Points with my Mastercard plus the bonus 50 PC Points for using my resusable grocery bad :D
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2464 posts
313 upvotes
Ajax
I PMed lean ground beef at No Frills :)

The grocery highlights thread has saved me a ton of time running round.
I think I will try the price match at Walmart if anything good comes up.

As it stands now, for the rest of the year my laundry will cost pennies as far as laundry soap goes. I have a few cases of the arm and hammer + old dutch that I got for $2 per bottle.

I just wish Egg Beaters would go on sale again as my freezer is running low. (yes they freeze great)
Mar 18, 2002
457 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto, ON
must be specific to the store. In mine, most of the time, I cannot find sale things Tue/Wed, but they usually get refilled last day of the sale.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7366 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
xxmike83xx wrote:
Aug 18th, 2010 10:14 pm
The No Frills at my place always has the sale items at the Dufferin Mall location. When something is on sale at WalMart I still go to No Frills to price match just to get PC Points with my Mastercard plus the bonus 50 PC Points for using my resusable grocery bad :D
Kuurgen wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 3:03 pm
I PMed lean ground beef at No Frills :)

The grocery highlights thread has saved me a ton of time running round.
I think I will try the price match at Walmart if anything good comes up.

As it stands now, for the rest of the year my laundry will cost pennies as far as laundry soap goes. I have a few cases of the arm and hammer + old dutch that I got for $2 per bottle.

I just wish Egg Beaters would go on sale again as my freezer is running low. (yes they freeze great)
Just curious how the PM went at No Frills. I've tried it at 2 No Frills and it wasn't worth it as at both stores the cashier isn't allowed to authorize PMs. They have to call a manager, wait, the manager has to come and initial the flyer. The cashier then has to file a copy (or the actual flyer) with the manager's initial in the till. It took a long time and the line up was growing at both stores I was at. The total opposite of price matching at Walmart (which is the main reason I now do most of my shopping at the Walmart Superstore).

Just wondering if your experience was the same or if the policy is store specific?
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5490 posts
872 upvotes
Toronto
I went to the no frills today an hour ago (Thursday) and remembered this thread. For front page sales they were out of the Bounty paper towels and the Tide on sale. They had lot of those back ribs left though....apparently many stores are stuck with a bunch. I don't like those cryovac back ribs anyway.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2010
1229 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
I would hate to see welfare recipients shop at Loblaws or Metro then. I mean, what the hell is that guy's problem with poor people? Does he laugh and point at people who drive beaters or wear sneakers with their toes poking out of the shoe?

Show some class!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 30, 2007
8227 posts
528 upvotes
Toronto
i go out of my way to hit up Costco for the ground beef when needed and we freeze it in 1 pound servings...it's just world better and waaaay cheaper than all the grocery stores.
Jan 3, 2009
328 posts
4 upvotes
GTA
Agreed the paper towel/ Toilet paper.
At the No Frills that I work at its very small compared to other No Frills. (literally about half the size.)

We don't have room for unlimited skids of that stuff.

Four skids on the floor of paper towel/ Toilet paper and that can be gone in an hour if each person buys the limit.

Another thing is we just don't have the room to store more specials.

If we order too much and it isn't selling and it spoils who's on the hook for paying that.....the customers?

You get what you pay for.

Also about PM's each store only has certain competitors that they will match and shoppers is not one of them for any store.
Deal Addict
Dec 17, 2001
2464 posts
313 upvotes
Ajax
sillysimms wrote:
Aug 19th, 2010 4:25 pm
Just curious how the PM went at No Frills. I've tried it at 2 No Frills and it wasn't worth it as at both stores the cashier isn't allowed to authorize PMs. They have to call a manager, wait, the manager has to come and initial the flyer. The cashier then has to file a copy (or the actual flyer) with the manager's initial in the till. It took a long time and the line up was growing at both stores I was at. The total opposite of price matching at Walmart (which is the main reason I now do most of my shopping at the Walmart Superstore).

Just wondering if your experience was the same or if the policy is store specific?
It wasn't bad, but it was the same process. It wasn't busy so I had no problems waiting.

They have never seen anybody PM lean ground beef, but it saved me about $12 off what it would have normally cost.

They would only PM a max of four meat trays, and I think this policy applies to all items that they PM.

Overall not a bad experience, definitely don't do it on a Saturday or Friday night, I have found Sunday night at 6pm to be an optimum shopping time. (no crowds, and sometimes OOS on sale items)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 11, 2008
7366 posts
834 upvotes
GTA
Kuurgen wrote:
Aug 20th, 2010 8:46 pm
It wasn't bad, but it was the same process. It wasn't busy so I had no problems waiting.

They have never seen anybody PM lean ground beef, but it saved me about $12 off what it would have normally cost.

They would only PM a max of four meat trays, and I think this policy applies to all items that they PM.

Overall not a bad experience, definitely don't do it on a Saturday or Friday night, I have found Sunday night at 6pm to be an optimum shopping time. (no crowds, and sometimes OOS on sale items)
Thanks for posting your experience. It would be worthwhile for saving $12 :)