• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2017 10:43 pm
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts

No Insurance Penalty

Hi forum,

Back in April I got pulled over outside my house for not having insurance (fire and theft only) which was going to be reactivated the following week. This happened after completing an oil change and taking it for a spin down the road. What luck right?

After fighting it in court for months I have to pay the fine of $4k. So to anyone thinking you'll get away with no insurance, honestly not worth it...

Question: I am looking to get a beater for the winter and add it on to my policy with renews every March. I am wondering if the penalty of having no insurance will spike my insurance rates, will it now be seen by the insurance company or at the time of the annual renewal? Has anyone had any experiences with this in the past, what did you do instead? (Inb4 take the public transpo comments)

I was talking to one of my friends and he stated insurance companies don't spike up the premium unless it was a speeding, reckless driving, stunt driving ticket. But I just wanted to hear different opinions.

Any help would be appreciated.
Best.
19 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2007
1767 posts
483 upvotes
Edmonton
You must have taken a spin on a main drag, not just outside your house. Technically, you had insurance, just not the required PL. How long did you have just fire and theft? Didn’t you have a pink card if you flipped coverage mid-term?

The concern shouldn’t be getting caught but rather hitting that kid you should have seen who ran in front of your vehicle.

Underwriting criteria vary by company. When you talk about renewal, are you still talking about fire/theft or adding back PL? Frankly, you will be lucky if they don’t cancel your policy as you would be considered a bad risk.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
1259 posts
661 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
well that killed the savings
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts
Fire and theft was on the policy prior to the snow season. I was literally 100-200m from my house where I got booked.

I am going to change it to FT starting next week and adding a new car to the policy. Question is are you certain it affects the insurance premium?

Thanks in advance
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts
6mthatch wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:40 pm
well that killed the savings
Agreed .. But it could've been a lot worse
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts
McLaren__F1 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:42 pm
Ouch $4K was the penalty?
It was initially 6k but dropped it down to 3k plus a 20% tax and additional fees.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1503 posts
292 upvotes
Kitchener
thats a major conviction so if your company finds it at renewal they will cancel you. That is assuming your not already with a high risk auto insurer. You can assume that if you get cancelled from a regular market company and need to move to a high risk insurer, expect a big increase, ie 100%-200%
[OP]
Apr 17, 2012
48 posts
peelhic wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 8:04 pm
thats a major conviction so if your company finds it at renewal they will cancel you. That is assuming your not already with a high risk auto insurer. You can assume that if you get cancelled from a regular market company and need to move to a high risk insurer, expect a big increase, ie 100%-200%
Have you had experience with this personally?
Sep 29, 2008
784 posts
399 upvotes
Toronto - Markham/Sc…
assad48 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 6:41 pm
Fire and theft was on the policy prior to the snow season. I was literally 100-200m from my house where I got booked.

I am going to change it to FT starting next week and adding a new car to the policy. Question is are you certain it affects the insurance premium?

Thanks in advance
Did you not have the pink slip in your car? When you drop down to fire and theft you still keep the same pink slip.

Why were you pulled over? If you were just taking it for a spin after an oil change, what attracted the cop to pull you over?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7430 posts
647 upvotes
Burlington
peelhic is correct, is a major.. as soon as they see the conviction on your record, they will mark the file to non renew (unless you're already on high risk insurance)
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 11, 2008
7430 posts
647 upvotes
Burlington
police can check with the insurance companies now even if you're carrying a liability slip that is void
amkorp wrote:
Nov 12th, 2017 11:50 pm
Did you not have the pink slip in your car? When you drop down to fire and theft you still keep the same pink slip.

Why were you pulled over? If you were just taking it for a spin after an oil change, what attracted the cop to pull you over?
RIBO LICENCED INSURANCE BROKER(ontario) -OVER 30 YRS OF EXPERIENCE
YOUR BEST INSURANCE IS AN INSURANCE BROKER
All the information provided is for reference purposes only. The actual wordings, conditions and exclusions of your policy will apply.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
1467 posts
585 upvotes
Toronto
So why is this in wheel and tire?
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!