Computers & Electronics

NO LONGER WORKS.... Telus - using your own router, putting V1000h into bridge mode

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 11th, 2016 2:00 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4433 posts
255 upvotes

NO LONGER WORKS.... Telus - using your own router, putting V1000h into bridge mode

Telus updated the software/firmware on the routers and disabled bridging, if anyone knows how to fix this please PM me because I would like to put my v1000h back into bridge.
Recently moved from Shaw to Telus and had to dig around to find ways to get my router running Tomato Firmware working.

Found this - http://telusinternet.blogspot.ca/

To start - knowing your logins:

There are a set of logins for the Actiontec - the one that you're given is a crippled account with limited access to settings.

default customer login is (can be changed after first login)
username: admin
password: telus

"poweruser" login - some options are still locked
username: tech
password: t3lu5tv

root login - all features are unlocked and configurable
(old firmware 31.30L.48)
username: root
password: m3di@r00m!

(new firmware 31.30L.55)
username: root
password: Thr33scr33n!

Bridged Mode - so you can use your third party router:

Before enabling bridged mode you may want to turn off wireless if you're going to use it on your own router. I've had some problems turning it off after enabling bridged mode. Also, you can unscrew the attached antennas, you don't need them if you've turned off wireless.

On your third party router change the default LAN subnet to something outside of the Actiontec's default subnet 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 - 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 should work fine.

To enable transparent bridging mode

go to "Advanced Setup"
WAN IP Addressing
2. Select the ISP protocol below
select "RFC 1483 Transparent Bridging"

Plug your own router (WAN port) into the actiontec router (LAN port), now your own router should transparently pass through the actiontec getting a DHCP assigned IP address directly from Telus. Some additional config may be necessary on your router.

To connect to the Actiontec router while in bridging mode

Directly connect a computer to the actiontec router and change the adapter address to a static IP in the actiontec's default IP range.

192.168.1.1 should work.
Then connect to the router as usual - http://192.168.1.254

With bridging enabled, some strange behaviour is exhibited when logging in - you'll see below the log in section that it says you're already logged in as admin although you won't be able to view any of the configuration pages. When you log in as root you won't see any confirmation of a log in, you'll just get bumped back to the home page. You should be able to go to config pages once logged in though.

Alternatively you can log in using telnet if you want to enable it

Advanced Setup
Remote
Remote Telnet
1. Set the remote telnet state below.
Local Telnet -> enable
Set the user name and password for login

Use putty or some other terminal client and login using the username and password you've set.
Once logged in, you have a crippled shell - like the command "ls" and "cd" won't work.
To get a slightly more functional shell type "sh" to get a busybox shell.

To get Optik TV working with a third party router, you must enable multicasting:

If you don't have multicasting enabled on your third party router, TV channels will work for a few seconds then drop out.

For the tomato firmware this option is:
Advanced -> Firewall -> Multicast
Enable IGMPproxy
Check off the LAN segment you want to enable multicasting on - default should be LAN

Troubleshooting:

If you find you've locked yourself out of the router, or want to reset all the settings back to the defaults - do a factory reset.

Take a pen and press the reset button down (the button is recessed in a hole marked with a red circle around it) for a few seconds until the power light turns red, then unplug the power and plug it back in. The router will take around 30 seconds to reboot with the default settings.
My setup has cat5 from wan port of Tomato Router going to Lan port of Telus V1000h, Telus Optik TV is connected to V1000h not Tomato router, its possible but you need to setup IGMproxy multicast and even then need to do some more commands to stop the router from being flooded.
12 replies
Banned
Oct 15, 2005
12954 posts
1599 upvotes
nice. now if we can get something like this going for the bell sagemcom.
Dec 6, 2006
6 posts
Burnaby
I threw my tomato in the DMZ of the Actiontec, been running that way for 2 years, with zero issues. I didn't have to source another DSL modem, and I can monitor my internet traffic behind the IPTV traffic. Mind you, I don't host anything, but it certainly wouldn't be that hard.

I don't trust the security of the PVR, hack that and you'd have the entire network, this way my PVR is kept out of my network. Since I use a 172.16.0.x networking setup, I can even go to the webpage of the Actiontec without issues. DSL -> V1000h -> Tomato (in DMZ) -> Internal Network.
Deal Addict
Sep 28, 2004
1286 posts
90 upvotes
bobertc wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:46 am
I threw my tomato in the DMZ of the Actiontec, been running that way for 2 years, with zero issues. I didn't have to source another DSL modem, and I can monitor my internet traffic behind the IPTV traffic. Mind you, I don't host anything, but it certainly wouldn't be that hard.
+1. I do this too. The only difference is that I have my router hooked up to my Optik STB (non-PVR), and sometimes Tomato gets confused and counts IPTV traffic in its internal bandwidth tracker.
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 25, 2009
4433 posts
255 upvotes
bobertc wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 6:46 am

I don't trust the security of the PVR, hack that and you'd have the entire network, this way my PVR is kept out of my network. Since I use a 172.16.0.x networking setup, I can even go to the webpage of the Actiontec without issues. DSL -> V1000h -> Tomato (in DMZ) -> Internal Network.
With the bridge mode on V1000h, the PVR is still kept out of the network because its not plugged into my tomato router but v1000h just assigns the PVR its own ip address
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2008
2431 posts
441 upvotes
BC
kitty wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:52 pm
+1. I do this too. The only difference is that I have my router hooked up to my Optik STB (non-PVR), and sometimes Tomato gets confused and counts IPTV traffic in its internal bandwidth tracker.
Sorry to Necro an old thread. I just switched to telus and of course my pc and V1000H telus router are downstairs and my android minipc stick is upstairs. The wifi strength is not that great so I would like to use my WRT54G router upstairs. There is absolutely no way to hardwire it so far away from the telus router so I'm wondering if I can just plug it into the back of the upstairs telus stb? I'm a bit of a router n00b so if anyone has links to a guide or something with steps I'd really appreciate it.
Jun 19, 2008
10 posts
Feegus wrote:
Jun 29th, 2013 2:38 am
Sorry to Necro an old thread. I just switched to telus and of course my pc and V1000H telus router are downstairs and my android minipc stick is upstairs. The wifi strength is not that great so I would like to use my WRT54G router upstairs. There is absolutely no way to hardwire it so far away from the telus router so I'm wondering if I can just plug it into the back of the upstairs telus stb? I'm a bit of a router n00b so if anyone has links to a guide or something with steps I'd really appreciate it.
maybe you can put your WRT54G in client bridge mode and put it upstairs, and connect your iptv box to it
Aug 17, 2006
249 posts
35 upvotes
borntukill wrote:
Jul 16th, 2013 5:13 pm
this doesnt work any more, any one have the new password?
Password still the same. Do a factory reset.

Don't connect to internet. Get into the gateway immediately.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
15423 posts
1251 upvotes
Langley
When the stb uses a coax for the input, the ethernet port becomes live and you can plug in appletv/wifi ap/xbox/etc.
Jul 9, 2016
1 posts
digdeep wrote:
Jul 17th, 2013 12:18 am
Password still the same. Do a factory reset.

Don't connect to internet. Get into the gateway immediately.
What do u mean by getting into the gateway immediately?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 27, 2004
9692 posts
460 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Bot bumping a three year old thread?
× < >