None
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
eonibm wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 7:02 pm
Why would you have to trade your iPhone 5 with the iPhone 4 your wife inherited from you if your signature line says you have an unlocked iPhone 5?
Timeline of posts. That was before I got the iPhone 5 unlocked. Now that it is unlocked, it is no longer necessary for me to swap with my wife. The only time that might be easier is if traveling to a country that doesn't have the 5 yet and so nanoSIMs would be hard to come by. I never minded trimming miniSIMs down to the microSIM since for the iPhone 4, but nano requires a lot more precision and even filing down the back. But I've looked into Hungary a little and should be able to get something from TMobile or Vodafone. My hotel is inside a very large mall downtown Budapest and I see there are a number of stores for both. Hopefully neither is as prickish as AT&T in the US is about using iPhones on their better prepaid offers.
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10527 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 8:56 pm
Timeline of posts. That was before I got the iPhone 5 unlocked. Now that it is unlocked, it is no longer necessary for me to swap with my wife. The only time that might be easier is if traveling to a country that doesn't have the 5 yet and so nanoSIMs would be hard to come by. I never minded trimming miniSIMs down to the microSIM since for the iPhone 4, but nano requires a lot more precision and even filing down the back. But I've looked into Hungary a little and should be able to get something from TMobile or Vodafone. My hotel is inside a very large mall downtown Budapest and I see there are a number of stores for both. Hopefully neither is as prickish as AT&T in the US is about using iPhones on their better prepaid offers.
When travelling in Europe a couple months ago I even found microSIMs hard to find in some places. But, I brought along a microSIM cutter with me and it proved useful. I agree with you on trying to turn a SIM/microSIM into a nanoSIM (miniSIM?). So, since I found that my unlocked 3GS was only worth less than a couple hundred bucks I kept it (to use as an additional Sonos music controller in the house) and now will travel with it and use when I can't find a nanoSIM (or don't get this iPhone 5 unlocked!).
Dec 7, 2007
95 posts
7 upvotes
Come on guys, to cut your SIM card to Nano is NOT difficult as you thought. I have done 2 Iphone5 for my daughter and wife by using scissor, they are working just fine, no issues at all. If you have nano cutter, it might save you a little time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
eonibm wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 9:25 pm
When travelling in Europe a couple months ago I even found microSIMs hard to find in some places. But, I brought along a microSIM cutter with me and it proved useful. I agree with you on trying to turn a SIM/microSIM into a nanoSIM (miniSIM?). So, since I found that my unlocked 3GS was only worth less than a couple hundred bucks I kept it (to use as an additional Sonos music controller in the house) and now will travel with it and use when I can't find a nanoSIM (or don't get this iPhone 5 unlocked!).
That's basically what my father has done. His ancient 3G and his iP4 are both unlocked, so he brings both. If he finds a microSIM he uses that, otherwise the standard miniSIM. (Mini SIM being what we all became accustomed to prior to micro. A SIM is the size of a credit card, then mini, micro, nano sizes)
2015 wins: Trip for 2 to NYC with airfare, limo, hotel and insurance ($3700); Maple Leafs tickets($250); 32GB HTC One M9 ($700), Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1($200), Samsung Galaxy Note 5($850), Aukey 2 port fast car charger($23), Fitbit Flex ($120), Blue Piston Bluetooth Speaker ($30). 2016 wins: nada
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
corollace wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 9:29 pm
Come on guys, to cut your SIM card to Nano is NOT difficult as you thought. I have done 2 Iphone5 for my daughter and wife by using scissor, they are working just fine, no issues at all. If you have nano cutter, it might save you a little time.
I expect it isn't all that tough. Doing it while in the road might be a little trickier than at home.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
eonibm wrote:
Nov 18th, 2012 9:25 pm
Just arrived in budapest. Walked to the Vodafone store near the hotel. Unfortunately they don't have nanoSIM available for data only prepaid plans, but they do have a nano available with a voice + data. Don't plan use voice and the data rates are so cheap it was still worthwhile. 3500 HUF (about $18 CDN) got me 1GB and enough left over for 10-15 minutes long distance back to Canada. That is dirt cheap. I didn't bother asking how much data only would have been if they had nanoSIMs provisioned for it, but I don't really care given the rate I did get.

Love unlocked phones.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10527 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 9:05 am
Just arrived in budapest. Walked to the Vodafone store near the hotel. Unfortunately they don't have nanoSIM available for data only prepaid plans, but they do have a nano available with a voice + data. Don't plan use voice and the data rates are so cheap it was still worthwhile. 3500 HUF (about $18 CDN) got me 1GB and enough left over for 10-15 minutes long distance back to Canada. That is dirt cheap. I didn't bother asking how much data only would have been if they had nanoSIMs provisioned for it, but I don't really care given the rate I did get.

Love unlocked phones.
Ceredon. I hope it's a pleasure trip. Why don't you just load the free magicjack app on your iPhone and then you can call any number in CAN/US for free? (uses about 3-4MB/min of cellular data or WiFi).
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
eonibm wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 10:27 am
Ceredon. I hope it's a pleasure trip. Why don't you just load the free magicjack app on your iPhone and then you can call any number in CAN/US for free? (uses about 3-4MB/min of cellular data or WiFi).
It's work, but have a few days of touring. I use other VoIP apps. Sidecar for one works really well. Haven't tried dell voice here yet, but I found them a little flaky when I used it in Jamaica a few months ago.
Deal Guru
Aug 2, 2010
10527 posts
1880 upvotes
Toronto
ceredon wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 11:27 am
It's work, but have a few days of touring. I use other VoIP apps. Sidecar for one works really well. Haven't tried dell voice here yet, but I found them a little flaky when I used it in Jamaica a few months ago.
I've never had a problem using magicjack. I just tried Sidecar vs magicjack a few times and the former call quality wasn't very good compared to the latter. But that could just be a temporary glitch. Sidecar requires you to register you mobile # which I don't like to do. Magicjack doesn't and allows you to be contacted throught the app by giving you a free contact 'number' (which then another party would have to remember if they want to contact you magicjack to magicjack if outside the CAN/US). But I tried a fake number to register and it worked. But then I guess Sidecar to Sidecar wouldn't work if outside the US/CAN. (But then I don't like to be bothered when travelling. I let them call my Fido #, receive the vm through email and then just call people back when I feel like it)
Nov 30, 2006
37 posts
1 upvote
Are there any third party now able to unlock a Fido iPhone 5?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3118 posts
322 upvotes
radio_head wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 4:36 pm
Are there any third party now able to unlock a Fido iPhone 5?
You wont see anything there for awhile if ever
Jun 21, 2010
216 posts
21 upvotes
Mississauga
wow, this forum has taken some serious turns!
Dream as if you will live forever; Live as if you will die today.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 28, 2010
9260 posts
1884 upvotes
Irregular Heptagon
I'm still interested in finding out what steps were implemented to lock out iPhone 5 from third parties but not other iPhones.
Apr 29, 2010
14 posts
shushwap wrote:
Dec 6th, 2012 5:35 pm
You wont see anything there for awhile if ever
I'm not sure how real this is, but the folks at cellunlocker.net now claim they can do this.

From one of their emails:

"We Unlocking the Rogers/Fido iPhones for a limited time only! so please don't hesitate with factory unlocking your iPhone!

We can Unlock ALL Rogers/Fido iPhone models including:

- iPhone 5
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3Gs"

Not sure if this is legit or not.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
43216 posts
3038 upvotes
Toronto
Bohemian wrote:
Feb 21st, 2013 5:22 pm
I'm not sure how real this is, but the folks at cellunlocker.net now claim they can do this.

From one of their emails:

"We Unlocking the Rogers/Fido iPhones for a limited time only! so please don't hesitate with factory unlocking your iPhone!

We can Unlock ALL Rogers/Fido iPhone models including:

- iPhone 5
- iPhone 4S
- iPhone 4
- iPhone 3Gs"

Not sure if this is legit or not.
I've used cellunlocker before, no problems.
Just pay with Paypal if available that way you can dispute if they take your money but i doubt it!
× < >