• Last Updated:
  • Aug 9th, 2017 1:32 pm
Tags:
218 replies
Jul 23, 2009
407 posts
264 upvotes
Brampton, ON
summary from what i understood. for consumer and small business. not for corporate plans.

CRTC said that WCOC cap is per account , irrespective of devices on account. effective immediately.
Some changes to return policy. ( usage should be less that half of monthly quota. now, all new activation are prorated, so not sure how it will impact.
And making locking devices illegal. and users can request unlocking for free.

link from CRTC

https://www.canada.ca/en/radio-televisi ... gfees.html
Last edited by desi_mtl_dude on Jun 15th, 2017 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 4, 2009
578 posts
70 upvotes
Holy crap just saw that they made $37.7 million in unlocking fees?

Robellus wants to keep the fees for anti-theft purposes, but the real crime is them robbing Canadians of almost $40 million!
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1093 posts
277 upvotes
Richmond Hill
too bad it isn't valid from today on. Also wondering if applicable to corporate plans. They tend to follow suit.
Jul 23, 2009
407 posts
264 upvotes
Brampton, ON
rsxmachine wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:36 am
too bad it isn't valid from today on. Also wondering if applicable to corporate plans. They tend to follow suit.
consumer and small business plans only for now.
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
3775 posts
450 upvotes
Aurora
Wow. That's a game changer. Also, it get's rid of the vast majority of the unlocking industry in Canada and may make buying locked phones from abroad less desirable. I wonder if phone prices or plans will go up to compensate for the lost unlocking revenue.
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
39586 posts
8964 upvotes
mobifree wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:40 am
Not for me.. LOL!
I actually thought about unlocking services too but yeah, that isn't good news for them at all.

At least the Big 3 will not have to run unlocking code servers any longer (not sure if that's how it works)?
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2463 posts
571 upvotes
Toronto, ON
DiceMan wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:44 am
Wow. That's a game changer. Also, it get's rid of the vast majority of the unlocking industry in Canada and may make buying locked phones from abroad less desirable. I wonder if phone prices or plans will go up to compensate for the lost unlocking revenue.
I'm guessing that's a rhetorical question.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2009
1093 posts
277 upvotes
Richmond Hill
desi_mtl_dude wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 11:41 am
consumer and small business plans only for now.
Ya but I have a feeling the corp plans for individuals who pay will be included.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
10824 posts
1604 upvotes
Toronto
I'm gonna argue that this is BAD for the consumer.

Why? There will be way fewer deals on off contract / prepaid phones. No carrier is gonna sell a phone anymore without forcing you to sign up for their plan. The deals already suck in Canada compared to the USA. I enjoyed getting good deals on prepaid phones at Superstore, Walmart etc. and paying $3 to unlock them. That's over now.

Who does this screw over the most? The poor, who are most likely to have to rely on prepaid phone services, and will pay higher prices for their off contract devices. Many of these people cannot pass a credit check to get a subsidized device through a post paid carrier.

Thanks CRTC for your misguided interference in the marketplace AGAIN.
Deal Expert
Jun 3, 2005
27674 posts
756 upvotes
Dildo, NL
Kurtz7834 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2017 12:11 pm
....Who does this screw over the most? The poor...
This doesn't matter to the RFD community.

Our poverty line is high 90K high school emerging salaries..and that's nightschool high school equivalencies.

The rest of us multimillionaire (average RFD'ers) can afford it.
unlim national, unlim Global SMS, CD/VM, 8Gb of Blazing Fast LTE $45
~Twitter~ ~Instagram~
[Yota Mafia]
100% BST & Heatware Trader since 2005
Photobucket, Suck a Big Fat Stinkin'...