Tags:
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12448 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
guy312 wrote:
Jul 9th, 2017 3:17 pm
Just to clarify, when a phone is carrier unlocked, something has to be done on the carrier side? An unlock code alone is not enough to unlock a phone? Thinking about iPhone's in particular.

Thanks
iPhones don't have unlock codes. Apple maintains a database of locked/unlocked phones, and when you unlock with the carrier they just update the status in Apple's database (which is why it's more expensive for/harder to find 3rd party unlocks - it's easier to track who did the unlock against the carrier's wishes).
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2009
14115 posts
2350 upvotes
Toronto
hvwozq wrote:
Jul 7th, 2017 10:26 pm
TELUS shows the device currently being used.
Interesting. Definitely different on Fido. My device was listed as an Android phone, despite the fact I had been using various iPhones for years, and even had iPhone Visual Voicemail set active on the account. iPhone VVM is totally useless for Android phones of course.

---

BTW, I just ordered a refurbished Fido iPhone SE for my mother-in-law from Orchard. Orchard's pricing for a 32 GB Fido-locked "Like New" iPhone SE was the same as their pricing for a 16 GB unlocked "Very Good" iPhone SE. An unlocked "Like New" 16 GB iPhone SE would have been $40 more.

I will call in to let Fido know it's on their system when she starts using it. Hopefully in December, we'll be able to get it unlocked for free. By that time, it will have been over four months on their system - good timing.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3715 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
Not sure if this question has been asked ...

If you had bought a phone from 1 carrier (say koodo), then use it with another carrier (say rogers).
Then come Dec 1, by when the carriers are required to provide you a free unlock code to unlock your phone.

My question is, in the scenario described above, should you contact koodo or rogers to obtain the free unlock code for your phone which you had originally bought from koodo but had been using with a rogers plan?

TIA
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
2x koodo $30 plan, 2x koodo $28
Sep 27, 2003
8231 posts
1597 upvotes
Newmarket
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:06 pm
Not sure if this question has been asked ...

If you had bought a phone from 1 carrier (say koodo), then use it with another carrier (say rogers).
Then come Dec 1, by when the carriers are required to provide you a free unlock code to unlock your phone.

My question is, in the scenario described above, should you contact koodo or rogers to obtain the free unlock code for your phone which you had originally bought from koodo but had been using with a rogers plan?

TIA
The unlock will come from the carrier with whom the phone was obtained from.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3715 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
WorldIRC wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:35 pm
The unlock will come from the carrier with whom the phone was obtained from.
thanks!
just to be sure ... i should contact the carrier from whom the phone was purchase even though at that time, i am no longer their customer ... ? (as i m using the phone with another carrier ... )
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26255 posts
6082 upvotes
GTHA
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 12:06 pm

TIA
To use a Koodo phone on Rogers, the phone should have been already unlocked.

All phoned sold by Koodo after Dec 1st would be unlocked.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12448 posts
4032 upvotes
Oakville
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:24 pm

Except for phones with flex activation, where they lock to the first sim used in the phone. In which case even though it was purchased from Koodo, it's now locked to Rogers. This is a really weird one.
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2012
3715 posts
366 upvotes
Ottawa
tk1000 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:24 pm

Ok, you got me there ...

Using Rogers was a bad example, but I do have phone bought from koodo which i m using with telus right now without being unlocked.
(i plan to unlock the phone in dec and may use it with roger ...)

I just want to know, by dec 1, should i contact koodo to get the unlock code even though i am no longer a koodo customer at that time.
ooma home phone
1x fongo
2x Telus prepaid plan
1x Zoomer $36 plan
Sep 27, 2003
8231 posts
1597 upvotes
Newmarket
ValueHunter999 wrote:
Aug 9th, 2017 1:19 pm
thanks!
just to be sure ... i should contact the carrier from whom the phone was purchase even though at that time, i am no longer their customer ... ? (as i m using the phone with another carrier ... )
Correct as your new carrier will not have your IMEI or the corresponding code in their database.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2003
1077 posts
71 upvotes
If I buy a locked phone now from someone how can I get unlocked for free since I am not the customer of the original carrier
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
1661 posts
29 upvotes
Toronto
Looks like at least Rogers has already started to increase monthly fees to compensate for free unlocks in Dec. All 10GB plans are increasing by $10 and all plans ranging from 2-6 GB will increase by $5. Effective this Tuesday in Ontario.
--------------------------------------
flickr
Jun 26, 2007
177 posts
44 upvotes
hey_dude1643 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 1:26 am
Looks like at least Rogers has already started to increase monthly fees to compensate for free unlocks in Dec. All 10GB plans are increasing by $10 and all plans ranging from 2-6 GB will increase by $5. Effective this Tuesday in Ontario.
They'll use any excuse to raise prices, they're making money hand over fist already. Locking actually costs the wireless companies money because they need to order modified phones from the manufacturer or lock the phones themselves, simply not doing it will save them a small amount per phone unless they were using flex locking which doesn't really add cost. The only people really losing out here are the phone unlocking companies, although the idea that it might increase the price of prepaid phones is valid, although the providers can compensate for increased prices with activation credits I guess. For people who can afford to buy devices flat out or on a tab-style plan (and that seems to cover almost everyone posting here) this is only good news.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1228 posts
323 upvotes
hey_dude1643 wrote:
Oct 9th, 2017 1:26 am
Ironically, if a monthly prices go up by $5 for someone, that's $60 a year, which I think is in the range of some unlocking fees, but now instead of paying that fee once during the ownership/lifetime of that particular phone, it's every year.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6777 posts
2215 upvotes
Markham
Flunk wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 9:32 am
They'll use any excuse to raise prices, they're making money hand over fist already. Locking actually costs the wireless companies money because they need to order modified phones from the manufacturer or lock the phones themselves, simply not doing it will save them a small amount per phone unless they were using flex locking which doesn't really add cost. The only people really losing out here are the phone unlocking companies, although the idea that it might increase the price of prepaid phones is valid, although the providers can compensate for increased prices with activation credits I guess. For people who can afford to buy devices flat out or on a tab-style plan (and that seems to cover almost everyone posting here) this is only good news.
Quite the definition of "racketeering": charging to solve a non-existent problem that was caused by themselves locking the phones in the first place.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Aug 31, 2017
197 posts
48 upvotes
Visited a Rogers store (Eaton Centre) and was told they will only unlock a phone if a customer explicitly asks for free come Dec 1st. Pretty misleading IMO.

Also, you all should check out the business plans - if you are able to switch over they are cheaper and the phone contract prices are cheaper too; couple that with port in credits of up to $300