• Nov 11th, 2017 1:12 am
Tags:
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
MyNameWasTaken wrote:
Oct 16th, 2017 11:07 pm
Visited a Rogers store (Eaton Centre) and was told they will only unlock a phone if a customer explicitly asks for free come Dec 1st. Pretty misleading IMO.

Also, you all should check out the business plans - if you are able to switch over they are cheaper and the phone contract prices are cheaper too; couple that with port in credits of up to $300
They're not going to voluntarily remote unlock all phones. Consumers will have to reach out to the carrier for the free unlock.

Small business deals are better than consumer.

I expect rate plans to keep increasing, but at the same rate that they've already been increasing, since carriers will eventually realize that most subscribers are not switching carriers just because they can go BYOD on another carrier, especially if they still have a device balance.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Banned
Oct 9, 2017
35 posts
4 upvotes
YEA, I heard that after Nov is free to unlock phones !
Deal Addict
Apr 5, 2016
1618 posts
816 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
Telus and Koodo already raising prices to make up for the loss of unlocking fees. Guess where they recouping the cost? SIM cards! LOL Telus SIMs now $20 and Koodo is $15. Better get those old SIMs at $5-10.
Current Fido customer.
Ex Koodo customer. Beware of their tactics.
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
bomber17 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 1:52 am
Telus and Koodo already raising prices to make up for the loss of unlocking fees. Guess where they recouping the cost? SIM cards! LOL Telus SIMs now $20 and Koodo is $15. Better get those old SIMs at $5-10.
I saw that...it's going to be costlier for dealers to absorb the cost of Koodo sim cards when waiving 'em.
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10009 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
Guys, there's a bit of a misunderstanding as to the CRTC rule of unlocking phones after Dec 1st. How it works according to robbers is ONLY phones with zero tabs or paid off balances can have their phones unlocked. Phones under contract to any carrier will NOT be unlocked. This prevents persons under contract from unlocking their fone and choosing a different provider leaving a possible huge debt on robbers (or any carriers) accounts. Also, they said unlocking is a 2 step process. The account must be unlocked from the carrier's end (meaning a CSR has to access the account to hit "unlock") AND the phone has to be unlocked whether by code as in android or via itunes/recovery process for iphones. Sounds like the party is spoiled for those thinking they can unlock a phone still on contract with an existing tab balance. *welp*
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:46 am
Guys, there's a bit of a misunderstanding as to the CRTC rule of unlocking phones after Dec 1st. How it works according to robbers is ONLY phones with zero tabs or paid off balances can have their phones unlocked. Phones under contract to any carrier will NOT be unlocked. This prevents persons under contract from unlocking their fone and choosing a different provider leaving a possible huge debt on robbers (or any carriers) accounts. Also, they said unlocking is a 2 step process. The account must be unlocked from the carrier's end (meaning a CSR has to access the account to hit "unlock") AND the phone has to be unlocked whether by code as in android or via itunes/recovery process for iphones. Sounds like the party is spoiled for those thinking they can unlock a phone still on contract. *welp*
  1. No need to put your entire comment in bold :D
  2. This is a carrier scare tactic. Since all phones on contract or paid in full activated/sold as of December 1st will have to be unlocked by carrier upon request at no cost, suggesting that devices already on contract do not qualify for a free unlock effective December 1st is bogus. It'd be a violation of the wireless code.
  3. If carrier refuses to unlock devices at no charge as of December 1st, contact CCTS and they'll get it resolved for you. The only circumstance I can imagine falling outside of this would be collections blocked or blacklisted devices. I'm sure the CRTC won't expect carriers to supply free unlocks to phones declared lost or stolen, or linked to accounts in collections, as these devices would be linked to other issues.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2012
10009 posts
905 upvotes
Pacific Ocean
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:56 am
  1. No need to put your entire comment in bold :D
  2. This is a carrier scare tactic. Since all phones on contract or paid in full activated/sold as of December 1st will have to be unlocked by carrier upon request at no cost, suggesting that devices already on contract do not qualify for a free unlock effective December 1st is bogus. It'd be a violation of the wireless code.
  3. If carrier refuses to unlock devices at no charge as of December 1st, contact CCTS and they'll get it resolved for you. The only circumstance I can imagine falling outside of this would be collections blocked or blacklisted devices. I'm sure the CRTC won't expect carriers to supply free unlocks to phones declared lost or stolen, or linked to accounts in collections, as these devices would be linked to other issues.
Point is even tho the phone itself is unlocked the account isnt. If it has a contract/tab balance robbers or any other carrier wont release the fone. As mentioned the carriers have that attached to every account with contract/tab balance. When I unlocked my phone a month back it was exactly as described. Robbers unlocked the account side THEN they gave instructions to unlock the iphone.
If the glove don't fit you must acquit! #WINNING
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:04 am
Point is even tho the phone itself is unlocked the account isnt. If it has a contract/tab balance robbers or any other carrier wont release the fone. As mentioned the carriers have that attached to every account with contract/tab balance. When I unlocked my phone a month back it was exactly as described. Robbers unlocked the account side THEN they gave instructions to unlock the iphone.
iPhones are a different beast. I've only acquired Android unlock codes from carriers, even on tab.

They don't owe you a free unlock code prior to December 1st. Once December 1st hits, their codes will be zero rated (meaning no charge), and will have to give them to everyone who asks for an unlock.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7441 posts
2398 upvotes
ON
aznnorth wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:46 am
Phones under contract to any carrier will NOT be unlocked. This prevents persons under contract from unlocking their fone and choosing a different provider leaving a possible huge debt on robbers (or any carriers) accounts.
No, your signed contract and credit rating prevent you from running off with unpaid hardware.
Locking just prevents you from using it on a competing network - they don't care if it's paid off or not. They just don't want you to use it elsewhere.
That is the purpose of network lock.
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
aqnd wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 5:40 pm
No, your signed contract and credit rating prevent you from running off with unpaid hardware.
Locking just prevents you from using it on a competing network - they don't care if it's paid off or not. They just don't want you to use it elsewhere.
This. Agreed. Hence as of December 1st, whether the device balance is paid off or not, they'll have to zero-rate the unlock.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6771 posts
2209 upvotes
Markham
aqnd wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 5:40 pm
I still say it has more to do with roaming revenues, rather than switching out. They know you won't find "deals" on other networks locally.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Mar 25, 2009
419 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
What remains unclear to me is if only “currently active” phones will be unlocked for free. Let’s say I have a fully paid off iphone with Telus in October. Then I upgrade to a new phone with Telus in Nov. The old phone would not be actively being used. Would they still unlock my old phone in December ? What if I would switch to Rogers in November. Would Telus still unlock my old phone in December even though I’m no longer an active customer?
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
mcfrugal wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 12:50 pm
What remains unclear to me is if only “currently active” phones will be unlocked for free. Let’s say I have a fully paid off iphone with Telus in October. Then I upgrade to a new phone with Telus in Nov. The old phone would not be actively being used. Would they still unlock my old phone in December ? What if I would switch to Rogers in November. Would Telus still unlock my old phone in December even though I’m no longer an active customer?
My suspicion is that they'll have to unlock phones that are paid off at no charge. If they don't, the CCTS will endlessly be hacking away at complaints for those scenarios.
Aug 23, 2017
16 posts
16 upvotes
Yeah the phrasing is very ambiguous.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/change.htm
current:
You can have your cellphone unlocked after 90 days, or immediately if you paid for the device in full.

Starting December 1, 2017
Mobile devices unlocked free of charge, upon request, and all newly purchased devices unlocked.
The wording leaves open the possibility that a phone purchased under contract does not need to be unlocked.

When you sign up for a contract and receive a phone to go with it, you are NOT "purchasing" a phone. You're purchasing a contract and a phone is a bonus.

Are we certain that ALL cellphones need to be unlocked, even the ones acquired through a contract?

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... ndmail.com&
That means, for example, that once a customer has paid off a device subsidy, typically spread over a two-year period, and now owns the handset outright, he or she would be free to use that device with any carrier without paying an additional fee to the original provider.
May 8, 2009
1696 posts
447 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
thePostWarDream wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 2:41 pm
Yeah the phrasing is very ambiguous.

https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/phone/mobile/change.htm

The wording leaves open the possibility that a phone purchased under contract does not need to be unlocked.

When you sign up for a contract and receive a phone to go with it, you are NOT "purchasing" a phone. You're purchasing a contract and a phone is a bonus.

Are we certain that ALL cellphones need to be unlocked, even the ones acquired through a contract?

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/report ... ndmail.com&
My understanding is that you're purchasing a phone, even if you pay nothing upfront, same goes for a car. Fact is, you own the phone, even if you carry a balance. Just like you own what you paid by credit card, although you owe the amount you spent back to the bank.

If any carrier tries to exploit the wording as excuses to not unlock phones, they'll find themselves with a really expensive class action. It makes more sense to comply with the wording that favours the consumer regarding the wireless code. Then recover the lost revenue through other means.

Heck, in some countries, wireless carriers host sports betting via texting or those dial codes where legally permitted. If a wireless carrier finds a strategic opportunity to maximize revenue, you bet they'll do it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

joker1966