Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10340 posts
656 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
thePostWarDream wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 2:41 pm
The wording leaves open the possibility that a phone purchased under contract does not need to be unlocked.
Maybe, but the first part of "Mobile devices unlocked free of charge, upon request, and all newly purchased devices unlocked," suggests that even if it's not purchased, the device can still be unlocked free of charge, so the result ends up being the same.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6777 posts
2215 upvotes
Markham
rabbit wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 7:37 am
Maybe, but the first part of "Mobile devices unlocked free of charge, upon request, and all newly purchased devices unlocked," suggests that even if it's not purchased, the device can still be unlocked free of charge, so the result ends up being the same.
Well absolute worst case, I'm sure you can just find a friend who's still on the network and get it unlocked for you. They'll still do the zero rate thing, charge your account then credit it back. I have a feeling that's what it end up being on December 1st until people make further complaints to the CCTS about carriers not unlocking after leaving.
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Jul 4, 2015
9 posts
1 upvote
Newmarket, ON
If I buy a used iphone off kijiji that's locked to Rogers for example, will they unlock it for me on Dec 1 even if I'm not a Rogers customer?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2006
3693 posts
417 upvotes
kzzzzz wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 8:51 pm
If I buy a used iphone off kijiji that's locked to Rogers for example, will they unlock it for me on Dec 1 even if I'm not a Rogers customer?
No. Why would they do you the favour if you're not a customer? What if the phone is stolen?
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
kzzzzz wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 8:51 pm
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 9:35 pm
No. Why would they do you the favour if you're not a customer? What if the phone is stolen?
MAybe Rogers won't help you but will Apple help?

I have a similar issue as i buy all my phones here on RFD. How would i go about obtaining the free unlock code? Thru the maker (ie Samsung) or carrier? But thru carrier, to them, i am using a different phone. I am with Zoomer and signing up with them, i got the Huawei GR5.
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
May 8, 2009
1814 posts
485 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 11:08 am
MAybe Rogers won't help you but will Apple help?

I have a similar issue as i buy all my phones here on RFD. How would i go about obtaining the free unlock code? Thru the maker (ie Samsung) or carrier? But thru carrier, to them, i am using a different phone. I am with Zoomer and signing up with them, i got the Huawei GR5.
You'd go to Zoomer to get the unlock code for your Huawei GR5. Shouldn't matter that you're using a different phone.

Worst case scenario, they might require you to boot your Huawei GR5 with the Zoomer sim card. Hopefully they won't make such a requirement, which is something that could annoy many subscribers.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
May 18, 2009
3832 posts
482 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:34 pm
You'd go to Zoomer to get the unlock code for your Huawei GR5. Shouldn't matter that you're using a different phone.

Worst case scenario, they might require you to boot your Huawei GR5 with the Zoomer sim card. Hopefully they won't make such a requirement, which is something that could annoy many subscribers.
im using an S8 and trying to rid of the GR5. Unlock codes are the same across all brands of phones?
BST meeting place:
Monday-Fri (9am-5pm): Queen Station or Eaton Centre
Monday-Thurs (after 5:30pm): Sheppard & Yonge
Saturday and Sunday: n/a
May 8, 2009
1814 posts
485 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
yesstyle wrote:
Oct 25th, 2017 2:49 pm
im using an S8 and trying to rid of the GR5. Unlock codes are the same across all brands of phones?
@yesstyle not quite sure what you mean by "are the same"...there's a unique code for each IMEI. These codes are found in various databases (some codes may be found in more than one database). Samsung codes tend to be fewer in digits than other brands, and also have the unique flex lock (will carrier-lock to the first sim inserted, but the unlock code will remain in the supplying carrier's database).

For your Huawei GR5, unlock code is roughly $20 on ebay. You might get it for around $17 by shopping around. If it weren't for the new rule enacting December 1st, I'd recommend buying the unlock code sooner rather than later. However...here's the catch. The Huawei GR5 doesn't carry much resale value, and will probably not drop $20+ in resale value after December 1st. That being said, in terms of dollars in your pocket, it's probably most cost-effective to wait until December 1st to get the code from Zoomer free (zero-rated, no charge). They might require you to boot your Zoomer sim in the GR5 (depends on Zoomer...I have never used Zoomer).
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Mar 25, 2009
421 posts
88 upvotes
Toronto
Mulder and Scully wrote:
Oct 24th, 2017 9:35 pm
What if I have invoices and contract to prove that I WAS a customer before?
May 8, 2009
1814 posts
485 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
mcfrugal wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 7:12 am
What if I have invoices and contract to prove that I WAS a customer before?
Should be a non-issue. Only issues I anticipate are
  • collections-blocked phones
  • Blacklisted phones (lost or stolen)
  • Carrier might ask you to boot an active sim on their network in the phone
May 8, 2009
1814 posts
485 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
Update: These are the devices that Bell and Virgin are currently selling unlocked

Bell/Virgin already carry certain phones unlocked. As of November 3rd, there will be a blue dot sticker on phones that are still locked.

The following phones are already unlocked (meaning no blue dot stickers for these)
  • All iPhones, iPads and Google devices
  • Samsung Note 8
  • BlackBerry KEYOne (upon completion of software update)
  • Motorola Z2 Play
  • ZTE Grand X View 2 Tablet
  • Alcatel GoFlip and Pixi 5
  • LG Q6
May 19, 2007
12 posts
2 upvotes
Interesting thread.

I've got a question that I don't think has been answered.

What if I have a phone that's locked to a carrier, but is currently tied to another service.

The example I am thinking about is if you use a phone that is locked to Rogers, but you are using a Petro-Canada/Speakout SIM.

Would Rogers have to unlock it in this case?
Feb 6, 2007
101 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
If I buy a Telus phone from someone would I be able to get it unlocked free from Telus Dec 1 if my carrier is also Telus?
Mar 21, 2016
275 posts
119 upvotes
Toronto
85matt wrote:
Nov 7th, 2017 4:52 pm
If I buy a Telus phone from someone would I be able to get it unlocked free from Telus Dec 1 if my carrier is also Telus?
yep. That's the whole point.
Feb 6, 2007
101 posts
7 upvotes
Toronto
kotoshin wrote: yep. That's the whole point.
I checked with Telus they said even if I'm not a Telus customer they will unlock a Telus phone for free for me