Locked: No more locked phones!

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 6th, 2018 12:14 am
Tags:
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
WH0WHAT wrote: I just got my Rogers locked iPhone 7 Plus unlocked by a live chat rep. The person who I bought the iPhone from got it from their corporate account but I still had no issues with getting it unlocked. Apparently Rogers can remotely unlock iPhones and an unlock code is not needed? Because it seems like that's what the rep did and they didn't give me any code.

Either way, the whole process was super easy and done in less than 5 minutes, I tried a Fido sim card on my iPhone and it worked without any issues. I was worried about having problems with unlocking my iPhone as it was acquired from a corporate account but at the end of the day, it all comes down to the rep you get and how nice they are or how little they know about the rules/conditions. Since the unlocked phones law is still a very new thing, many reps and employees probably aren't fully trained and knowledgeable about the terms and conditions so that's why you get mixed results.

To all of the people who have bought phones from people who got it from a corporate account, keep trying as the chances are still quite high that it can be done without paying anything.
Corporate Account paid by the company or paid by the individual?
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
WorldIRC wrote: Corporate Account paid by the company or paid by the individual?
@WH0WHAT might not even know as the device was purchased via Kijiji.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
titaniumtux wrote: @WH0WHAT might not even know as the device was purchased via Kijiji.
OK. I only asked because a CORP-EPP, which many RFD users are on, would be treated the same as consumer.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
WorldIRC wrote: OK. I only asked because a CORP-EPP, which many RFD users are on, would be treated the same as consumer.
Makes sense. Looks like those who bought carrier-locked devices on Kijiji are in for the biggest challenge for phone unlocking in general.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
WH0WHAT wrote: Apparently Rogers can remotely unlock iPhones and an unlock code is not needed? Because it seems like that's what the rep did and they didn't give me any code.
That's how all iPhones are unlocked - there is no code.
Jun 20, 2013
32 posts
1 upvote
ETOBICOKE
Error on My Bell:
Error RS05

The IMEI number provided was found but the device cannot be unlocked as your account has not yet been active for 90 days. Please resubmit your request after 90 days.
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1499 posts
4659 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: This makes sense, and is sadly a YMMV. If the carrier sees that the device user is not linked to the Corp account in any way, they might empathize.

The fact that Corp iPhones are also sold on Kijiji is a sign that it's not a good idea to buy phones off Kijiji, especially iPhones (Androids are often cheaper and much cheaper to unlock).
Yeah my confidence with buying phones off someone from Kijiji wasn't that great but the options on the BST section on RFD were limited, and the ones available weren't enticing. I know people have been screwed with buying phones off of Kijiji but I did everything I can to prevent this from happening to me. The person who I bought it from was legitimate and very accommodating. They provided me their name, the receipt (which had their name and contact information), and their personal number.

When I got home after the sale I googled the person's name (lol like a skeptical creeper) and I found their LinkedIn account and all of my doubt was erased away. The person's LinkedIn account had their picture and some bits of information that checked out.

There are good, honest, and genuine people who use Kijiji for selling their phones, you just gotta be smart and diligent and know what to look out for.
WorldIRC wrote: Corporate Account paid by the company or paid by the individual?
I have the receipt right in front of me and from what I see, it looks like the iPhone was paid for by the company. There are details on the receipt like client number, invoice number, the company that the person works for, date of sale, sales rep, and $0 for the cost of the phone.

The $0 subtotal on the receipt is probably a definite giveaway that the phone was paid for by the company.
Devhux wrote: That's how all iPhones are unlocked - there is no code.
Cool, that's good to know!
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1432 posts
1394 upvotes
Toronto
Called Rogers Small Business technical support and got FIVE iPhones unlocked in one session . 2 phones were active EPP lines and 3 of the phones were from an old personal account that is no longer active. surprisingly painless experience ..
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
443 upvotes
Called Bell and they mentioned I still need to pay 50$ for unlock. When I asked about CRTC code, the agent mentioned it's free for only new activation. Is this information correct guys?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4567 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
kgvaughan wrote: Called Bell and they mentioned I still need to pay 50$ for unlock. When I asked about CRTC code, the agent mentioned it's free for only new activation. Is this information correct guys?
No. Call again for another rep. The only case where they are allowed to charge or refuse to unlock is if you're not their customer.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
WH0WHAT wrote: Yeah my confidence with buying phones off someone from Kijiji wasn't that great but the options on the BST section on RFD were limited, and the ones available weren't enticing. I know people have been screwed with buying phones off of Kijiji but I did everything I can to prevent this from happening to me. The person who I bought it from was legitimate and very accommodating. They provided me their name, the receipt (which had their name and contact information), and their personal number.

When I got home after the sale I googled the person's name (lol like a skeptical creeper) and I found their LinkedIn account and all of my doubt was erased away. The person's LinkedIn account had their picture and some bits of information that checked out.

There are good, honest, and genuine people who use Kijiji for selling their phones, you just gotta be smart and diligent and know what to look out for.
I agree, as I sell phones on Kijiji and it's working for me. I even have repeat buyers because it's not always easy to find a good phone seller on Kijiji.

I'd sell on RFD BST but for now there's no region break-down, and most users there are in GTA (and I'm in Ottawa/Gatineau region), so until RFD has BST categorized by city, it's not too useful for those outside of the GTA...
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
ToniCipriani wrote: No. Call again for another rep. The only case where they are allowed to charge or refuse to unlock is if you're not their customer.
Or if you are trying to unlock a device purchased against a true CORP account which is not bound by WCOC rules.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
So obviously Samsung can be unlocked through Live Chat with Samsung. Has anyone tried unlocking an iPhone through Apple Store or on the phone with Apple?
RFD Forums Moderator
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
443 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: No. Call again for another rep. The only case where they are allowed to charge or refuse to unlock is if you're not their customer.
Thanks for the reply.

After posting this, I went and looked thru initial pages of this thread and I think another condition applies to me.

I'm part of a corporate account. :-/
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4567 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
kgvaughan wrote: Thanks for the reply.

After posting this, I went and looked thru initial pages of this thread and I think another condition applies to me.

I'm part of a corporate account. :-/
If it's paid by you out of pocket, then it should apply as well.
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
ToniCipriani wrote: If it's paid by you out of pocket, then it should apply as well.
It's more about the "liability" rather than "who is paying".
RFD Forums Moderator
Aug 23, 2017
299 posts
443 upvotes
ToniCipriani wrote: If it's paid by you out of pocket, then it should apply as well.
I'm sorry. But does this statement mean, if my company is not paying and I am paying, it should be free?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
9101 posts
4567 upvotes
12 days north of Hop…
kgvaughan wrote: I'm sorry. But does this statement mean, if my company is not paying and I am paying, it should be free?
Like @WorldIRC said, it depends on the contract type. "Business" could still mean small business not corporate, in which the unlock is free.

If you are still a corporate/enterprise contract that still allowed 3-years, then no, the unlock is not free.

Number 50 is the actual text of the definition: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-200.htm
Sep 27, 2003
11122 posts
3367 upvotes
Newmarket
ToniCipriani wrote: Like @WorldIRC said, it depends on the contract type. "Business" could still mean small business not corporate, in which the unlock is free.

If you are still a corporate/enterprise contract that still allowed 3-years, then no, the unlock is not free.

Number 50 is the actual text of the definition: https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-200.htm
Great link. And yes, it is all about who the legal contract is between. The individual paying, alone, is not enough to determine if WCOC applies or not, but rather, who the actual contract is between.
RFD Forums Moderator
Mar 18, 2003
193 posts
128 upvotes
Calgary
jackrabbit000 wrote: It was from Rogers and found the info kind of odd. Last update on the page was Nov. 26, 2017

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... -010117145
If you do not have a different carrier SIM card then the link from the Apple site
https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328 says

If you don't have another SIM card to use
Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:
Back up your iPhone.
After you make a backup, erase your iPhone.
Restore your iPhone from the backup you just made.

So you will have to erase your phone as one of the steps. Did this yesterday for a Fido iphone. From the initial backup to completion
via itunes took about 1 hour.