• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 4:03 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7581 posts
2496 upvotes
ON
I would have thought providers would have put in place an automated system for you to submit IMEI and get a code back if they have it.
Any potential "loss" of revenue is already lost if you're not their customer anymore - holding the code hostage doesn't change that.
It does, however, cost them money for CSRs to have to receive these requests and process the output.
And of course, if they choose to not release the code to a former customer, how likely is that customer to rejoin them later? Sounds like a lose-lose situation to me, if they don't open it up to everyone who asks.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
2280 posts
688 upvotes
Toronto
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:40 pm
From the Rogers website for an iPhone:

For Apple devices:
1. We will unlock your device remotely.
2. To complete the unlocking process, you must back up your iPhone, erase it and then restore it with another carrier’s SIM card.

Is this right, to unlock an iPhone you have to erase the device? How stupid is that.
No, you do not need to do that. When you put a new sim card, it will change some settings automatically.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan + Knowroaming sticker
Carry Tel 25M Fiber
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
26868 posts
6376 upvotes
GTHA
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:40 pm
From the Rogers website for an iPhone:

For Apple devices:
1. We will unlock your device remotely.
2. To complete the unlocking process, you must back up your iPhone, erase it and then restore it with another carrier’s SIM card.

Is this right, to unlock an iPhone you have to erase the device? How stupid is that.
This is outdated info...

from https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier
Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:
1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new one.
2. Set up your iPhone again.
Aug 13, 2003
78 posts
17 upvotes
Calgary
Snipingallday wrote:
Dec 1st, 2017 10:56 am
Was also able to unlock through Rogers chat. Have never been a Rogers wireless customer and had no problem unlocking my iPhone.
Thanks for the info. I was able to unlock my Rogers locked iPhone (I had purchased it used on Kijiji). I have never been a customer of Rogers before so had no previous account with them. Using the online chat with Rogers, he did ask me my info and wanted my account number but I just told him I had bought it used from another Rogers customer and did not have an account number of my own. He said OK and then said he just unlocked it and sent me a confirmation email of the unlock.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3601 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
tk1000 wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 3:56 pm
This is outdated info...

from https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328

If you have a SIM card from a carrier other than your current carrier
Use these steps to finish unlocking your iPhone:
1. Remove your SIM card and insert the new one.
2. Set up your iPhone again.
It was from Rogers and found the info kind of odd. Last update on the page was Nov. 26, 2017

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support ... -010117145
Sep 26, 2011
2 posts
1 upvote
Im happy for my x1a's shackels to be removed free of charge when it cost $170 more then the unlocked version(which has a 3.5g radio)
Oct 12, 2012
381 posts
343 upvotes
I have a Rogers iPhone 6S that I purchased on Craigslist a few months ago that I was waiting to unlock. I just chatted Rogers 'Wireless Support' and they told me to call in? How can I unlock it via chat? They also mentioned something about having to be the original account holder of the phone? What? I thought it was unlocked, no questions asked.
Mar 10, 2012
757 posts
177 upvotes
Ottawa
Important question: Can Rorgers unlock Bell's iPhones? I figure they just put the IMEI, submit to Apple to unlock since Apple controls the unlocking, unlike other brands.
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
WellHung wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 12:36 am
Important question: Can Rorgers unlock Bell's iPhones? I figure they just put the IMEI, submit to Apple to unlock since Apple controls the unlocking, unlike other brands.
Even if they could, they don't. You must go to the originating carrier.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3261 posts
396 upvotes
Wat
So to complete the process you need a sim card from a different provider. Does that sim card have to be active to work?
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
Wiseman wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:09 am
So to complete the process you need a sim card from a different provider. Does that sim card have to be active to work?
No it doesn't.
RFD Forums Moderator
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3261 posts
396 upvotes
Wat
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:10 am
No it doesn't.
Thanks.. and one more question, if I have a locked telus phone and I request an unlock, will a koodo sim card finish the process?
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
Wiseman wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:14 am
Thanks.. and one more question, if I have a locked telus phone and I request an unlock, will a koodo sim card finish the process?
I do not believe so as Koodo / TELUS SIMs are currently "interchangeable" and would not trigger the SIM unlock process.
RFD Forums Moderator
Sep 19, 2009
851 posts
177 upvotes
Toronto
cursayer wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:32 pm
I have a Rogers iPhone 6S that I purchased on Craigslist a few months ago that I was waiting to unlock. I just chatted Rogers 'Wireless Support' and they told me to call in? How can I unlock it via chat? They also mentioned something about having to be the original account holder of the phone? What? I thought it was unlocked, no questions asked.
I have the same problem with Virgin Mobile. You can make a complaint with CRTC, online at https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/.
Nov 11, 2007
201 posts
3 upvotes
Cambridge
HJi I have a LG G5 locked to Rogers. I am with Zoomer wireless. Will Zoomer unlock my phone? Thanks