• Dec 12th, 2017 4:22 pm
Tags:
Dec 15, 2014
13 posts
1 upvote
Scarborough, ON
ceccam wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 8:55 am
HJi I have a LG G5 locked to Rogers. I am with Zoomer wireless. Will Zoomer unlock my phone? Thanks
No, I don't believe so. I think you have to go back to the original provider
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3604 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
cursayer wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:32 pm
I have a Rogers iPhone 6S that I purchased on Craigslist a few months ago that I was waiting to unlock. I just chatted Rogers 'Wireless Support' and they told me to call in? How can I unlock it via chat? They also mentioned something about having to be the original account holder of the phone? What? I thought it was unlocked, no questions asked.
Nope, I thought the same thing. I tried to unlock my work iPhone 5S yesterday. They wouldn’t do it because it was under a corporate account.
Oct 12, 2012
381 posts
343 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:36 am
Nope, I thought the same thing. I tried to unlock my work iPhone 5S yesterday. They wouldn’t do it because it was under a corporate account.
Just tried again on Rogers 'Wireless Support' live chat. The person I got helping me this time was much more helpful. I told him that I was not a Rogers customer and that I purchased the phone on Craigslist. He said it's ok and asked for the IMEI and unlocked it immediately. You should try again, too. The guy I got last night was from Montreal and gave me some BS about having to call in to customer service. The guy I got today was from Moncton and very efficient.
Oct 12, 2012
381 posts
343 upvotes
andrew4321 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 7:53 am
I have the same problem with Virgin Mobile. You can make a complaint with CRTC, online at https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/.
Try again. I just tried again today on Rogers Live Chat and they did it for me. Some CS reps are just lazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3604 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
OK, I tried to unlock my work iPhone again with Rogers. No go and shot down again. No big deal, my new personal S8 is unlocked.

11‎:‎09‎ ‎AM
Ok so for these account end users cannot unlock devices because for corporate accounts there is still a charge of 50$ plus tax and your telecomm admin will have to unlock this for you

11‎:‎10‎ ‎AM
For the Small Business and Consumer customers yes. But by the CRTC large corporations and government accounts still have to pay for unlocking the device.

‎11‎:‎10‎ ‎AM
But your work would still have to unlock it for you even if it was free because you do not have access on this account to unlock the device
May 8, 2009
2243 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:15 pm
OK, I tried to unlock my work iPhone again with Rogers. No go and shot down again. No big deal, my new personal S8 is unlocked.

Ok so for these account end users cannot unlock devices because for corporate accounts there is still a charge of 50$ plus tax and your telecomm admin will have to unlock this for you

For the Small Business and Consumer customers yes. But by the CRTC large corporations and government accounts still have to pay for unlocking the device.

But your work would still have to unlock it for you even if it was free because you do not have access on this account to unlock the device
This applies to Bell as well. My guess is Telus would be the same.

New wireless code specified consumer and small business, but left out any mention of corporate (CORP-CORP anyway). Since all inventory is now unlocked, my understanding is that any newly acquired devices on corporate would ship unlocked out of the box.

Even if you sim swap and use a CORP acquired device on a consumer subscriber line for 90+ days, they'll still deny the free unlock stating that the IMEI is linked to a CORP-CORP activation.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Oct 12, 2012
381 posts
343 upvotes
jackrabbit000 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 1:15 pm

Bummer. Sorry to hear. Did not know unlocking fee only waived for consumers. Regardless, still a net positive.
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
cursayer wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 2:08 pm
Bummer. Sorry to hear. Did not know unlocking fee only waived for consumers. Regardless, still a net positive.
WCOC only ever applied to Consumer and Small Biz clients. True CORP clients are excluded from everything WCOC.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1001 posts
2246 upvotes
Toronto
I just got my Rogers locked iPhone 7 Plus unlocked by a live chat rep. The person who I bought the iPhone from got it from their corporate account but I still had no issues with getting it unlocked. Apparently Rogers can remotely unlock iPhones and an unlock code is not needed? Because it seems like that's what the rep did and they didn't give me any code.

Either way, the whole process was super easy and done in less than 5 minutes, I tried a Fido sim card on my iPhone and it worked without any issues. I was worried about having problems with unlocking my iPhone as it was acquired from a corporate account but at the end of the day, it all comes down to the rep you get and how nice they are or how little they know about the rules/conditions. Since the unlocked phones law is still a very new thing, many reps and employees probably aren't fully trained and knowledgeable about the terms and conditions so that's why you get mixed results.

To all of the people who have bought phones from people who got it from a corporate account, keep trying as the chances are still quite high that it can be done without paying anything.
May 8, 2009
2243 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
WH0WHAT wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 10:53 pm
I just got my Rogers locked iPhone 7 Plus unlocked by a live chat rep. The person who I bought the iPhone from got it from their corporate account but I still had no issues with getting it unlocked. Apparently Rogers can remotely unlock iPhones and an unlock code is not needed? Because it seems like that's what the rep did and they didn't give me any code.

Either way, the whole process was super easy and done in less than 5 minutes, I tried a Fido sim card on my iPhone and it worked without any issues. I was worried about having problems with unlocking my iPhone as it was acquired from a corporate account but at the end of the day, it all comes down to the rep you get and how nice they are or how little they know about the rules/conditions. Since the unlocked phones law is still a very new thing, many reps and employees probably aren't fully trained and knowledgeable about the terms and conditions so that's why you get mixed results.

To all of the people who have bought phones from people who got it from a corporate account, keep trying as the chances are still quite high that it can be done without paying anything.
This makes sense, and is sadly a YMMV. If the carrier sees that the device user is not linked to the Corp account in any way, they might empathize.

The fact that Corp iPhones are also sold on Kijiji is a sign that it's not a good idea to buy phones off Kijiji, especially iPhones (Androids are often cheaper and much cheaper to unlock).
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
WH0WHAT wrote:

Corporate Account paid by the company or paid by the individual?
RFD Forums Moderator
May 8, 2009
2243 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:09 pm
Corporate Account paid by the company or paid by the individual?
@WH0WHAT might not even know as the device was purchased via Kijiji.
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
titaniumtux wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:18 pm
@WH0WHAT might not even know as the device was purchased via Kijiji.
OK. I only asked because a CORP-EPP, which many RFD users are on, would be treated the same as consumer.
RFD Forums Moderator
May 8, 2009
2243 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 11:20 pm
OK. I only asked because a CORP-EPP, which many RFD users are on, would be treated the same as consumer.
Makes sense. Looks like those who bought carrier-locked devices on Kijiji are in for the biggest challenge for phone unlocking in general.
Jan 13, 2014
623 posts
162 upvotes
Calgary
WH0WHAT wrote:
Apparently Rogers can remotely unlock iPhones and an unlock code is not needed? Because it seems like that's what the rep did and they didn't give me any code.
That's how all iPhones are unlocked - there is no code.