• Last Updated:
  • Dec 11th, 2017 10:40 pm
Tags:
Mar 18, 2003
168 posts
37 upvotes
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:02 pm
So obviously Samsung can be unlocked through Live Chat with Samsung. Has anyone tried unlocking an iPhone through Apple Store or on the phone with Apple?
I have not tried, but from the Apple link below

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201328

it says:
Apple can't unlock your iPhone for use with a different carrier. Only your carrier can unlock your iPhone.
Jun 6, 2017
16 posts
9 upvotes
Hi - I got the unlock code from Bell, I am not sure what the next steps are, I read that I also need another SIM from some other supplier, my problem is I just want to unlock the phone and get it ready so when I see any new cheap plans I can switch right away. What is the best way to do it? Any ideas please! Thanks RFD'ers.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2004
2847 posts
22 upvotes
Mississauga
HockeyfanCanada wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 4:15 pm
Hi - I got the unlock code from Bell, I am not sure what the next steps are, I read that I also need another SIM from some other supplier, my problem is I just want to unlock the phone and get it ready so when I see any new cheap plans I can switch right away. What is the best way to do it? Any ideas please! Thanks RFD'ers.
lol just use the unlock code when you switch to a new carrier. not rocket science. When you insert the sim of another carrier, you'll be prompted for the unlock code. Enter the one that was provided to you from Bell, and the phone will then be unlocked.
:arrow: :arrowl:
Dec 8, 2014
22 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Bell customers on EPP contract here.I am paying my own bill.No issues with the unlocking process ,was able to unlock four different phones already .
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
Zdr354 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 7:20 pm
Bell customers on EPP contract here.I am paying my own bill.No issues with the unlocking process ,was able to unlock four different phones already .
EPP is treated as consumer, so there shouldn't be any issue.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2006
6818 posts
2239 upvotes
Markham
WorldIRC wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 12:49 pm
Great link. And yes, it is all about who the legal contract is between. The individual paying, alone, is not enough to determine if WCOC applies or not, but rather, who the actual contract is between.
Interestingly, CRTC replied on Twitter, was oddly specific about accounts "over $2500 per month".
The myth on the Internet is that Canadians are nice people. Those people who say this just haven't been on RFD.
Sep 27, 2003
8293 posts
1629 upvotes
Newmarket
ToniCipriani wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:45 pm
Interestingly, CRTC replied on Twitter, was oddly specific about accounts "over $2500 per month".
Yes that is also in the code and I believe it refers to all telecom expenses, not just mobility.
RFD Forums Moderator
Corporate Account Manager for a Bell Mobility Reseller
Mar 14, 2006
64 posts
10 upvotes
Just to share my surprising experience with two carriers, Rogers and Freedom. I have older Galaxy phones from each and currently do not have an account with either carrier, and expected Rogers to be more difficult from what I read on various forums.

Not so!

Rogers: 1 minute on hold; CSR asked for IMEI and provided unlock code, politely and promptly.

Freedom: 1 minute on hold; then CSR asked for my old acct info, then put me on hold, then told me I have to physically go to a warranty center across town to unlock. I thought it might be the CSR, so i called again. Second CSR told me he'll do it, asked for same info plus my IMEI, put me on hold, then came back after 2 minutes and told me I have to go to warranty center. So I called the warranty center...they told me to call Freedom call center, and agreed that maybe the manager on duty at the call center was confused or maybe corporate policy "doesn't make sense". Wow, all this from the company that promoted unlocking in the first place.
I will call the call center later....
Jun 14, 2004
471 posts
15 upvotes
That sounds good, however my phone is a corporate device with a company owned account. What I should do to unlock it? I did submit the request to the mobile team of my company however it has been one week and they still hasn't come back to me about the request. LOL
May 5, 2017
1 posts
Calgary, Ab
I have an iphone locked to Bell. I called Bell and they refused to unlock it because I no longer have an account with them!!
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12533 posts
4053 upvotes
Oakville
softech wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 1:56 pm
my phone was from Rogers.. but I bought it on Kijiji..now I am using Fido Service.. would Rogers or Fido unlock it for me?
If it's locked, it'll be locked to Rogers.
Public Mobile
Mar 14, 2006
64 posts
10 upvotes
robertro wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 9:18 am
Just to share my surprising experience with two carriers, Rogers and Freedom. I have older Galaxy phones from each and currently do not have an account with either carrier, and expected Rogers to be more difficult from what I read on various forums.

Not so!

Rogers: 1 minute on hold; CSR asked for IMEI and provided unlock code, politely and promptly.

Freedom: 1 minute on hold; then CSR asked for my old acct info, then put me on hold, then told me I have to physically go to a warranty center across town to unlock. I thought it might be the CSR, so i called again. Second CSR told me he'll do it, asked for same info plus my IMEI, put me on hold, then came back after 2 minutes and told me I have to go to warranty center. So I called the warranty center...they told me to call Freedom call center, and agreed that maybe the manager on duty at the call center was confused or maybe corporate policy "doesn't make sense". Wow, all this from the company that promoted unlocking in the first place.
I will call the call center later....
Well, I called the call center again. After 5 minutes of hold, the rep said he would unlock it and took my info. After another 10 minutes, he said he could not do it and told me to call Samsung. I told him Samsung had no control of this and that I would file a complaint. He asked me to hold for another five minutes and then asked me to send original purchase docs to Freedom. Both my phones were bought used from individuals - Rogers unlocked one in a 2-minute call, Freedom messed around for almost an hour today, gave three different stories to delay me or discourage me. It worked! I will get my phone unlocked and hope to never deal with these jokers again.

Rogers: 1
Freedom: 0
Feb 13, 2009
367 posts
52 upvotes
Perfect timing too as my contract was fulfilled earlier this month. Off to another carrier I go.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)