Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Apr 20, 2011
7583 posts
2502 upvotes
ON
robertro wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:01 pm
Well, I called the call center again. After 5 minutes of hold, the rep said he would unlock it and took my info. After another 10 minutes, he said he could not do it and told me to call Samsung. I told him Samsung had no control of this and that I would file a complaint. He asked me to hold for another five minutes and then asked me to send original purchase docs to Freedom. Both my phones were bought used from individuals - Rogers unlocked one in a 2-minute call, Freedom messed around for almost an hour today, gave three different stories to delay me or discourage me. It worked! I will get my phone unlocked and hope to never deal with these jokers again.

Rogers: 1
Freedom: 0
Despite your negative experience, at least they attempted to unlock it for you.
Bell is flat out refusing to do so for non-customers.
People in that thread actually have had success by contacting Samsung - give it a try.
Deal Addict
May 16, 2013
1327 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 5:06 pm
If it's locked, it'll be locked to Rogers.
That's not his question. He's asking whether Rogers or Fido would unlock it for him. He's aware it's currently locked to Rogers.

I'm in the same situation and am wondering whether one or the other would unlock it for free.
Mar 23, 2003
939 posts
66 upvotes
robertro wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:01 pm
Both my phones were bought used from individuals - Rogers unlocked one in a 2-minute call, Freedom messed around for almost an hour today, gave three different stories to delay me or discourage me. It worked! I will get my phone unlocked and hope to never deal with these jokers again.

Rogers: 1
Freedom: 0
The Rogers locked phone you bought off individuals. you have service with Rogers?
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12536 posts
4055 upvotes
Oakville
StratMangler wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:26 am
That's not his question. He's asking whether Rogers or Fido would unlock it for him. He's aware it's currently locked to Rogers.

I'm in the same situation and am wondering whether one or the other would unlock it for free.
I was under the assumption that he was asking whether it would be Rogers or Fido that would be responsible for unlocking it. If it's locked to Rogers, Rogers would be the one that would unlock it I would assume. BUT, the easier way to find out is just to call and find out.
Public Mobile
May 1, 2015
71 posts
7 upvotes
oakville, on
hmm... I emailed my corporate Telus dealer and got this response:

"according to the TELUS support team that completes the unlocking the device unlock fee are only free for Business Personal, Business Regular and corporate EPP/CIL account type. Since your account type is none of the above the $35 charge will apply."
May 8, 2009
2242 posts
710 upvotes
45.420833°N, 75.69°W
xtwister wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 9:28 am
hmm... I emailed my corporate Telus dealer and got this response:

"according to the TELUS support team that completes the unlocking the device unlock fee are only free for Business Personal, Business Regular and corporate EPP/CIL account type. Since your account type is none of the above the $35 charge will apply."
At least $35 is cheaper than $50.
Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home.
Home service reseller internet + FPL + antenna with streaming on smart TV
Wireless 1 line w/ Virgin on QC plan, few lines w/ Koodo to get phones, couple FreedomPop SIM's for roaming
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2007
1712 posts
151 upvotes
I just got my one of my older phones unlocked via the "Web Chat". It was quick about 10mins. Rogers.
Oct 26, 2003
528 posts
99 upvotes
Markham
It appears Bell doesn't unlock phone under corporate plan, still ask for $50 to unlock.
Deal Guru
Nov 28, 2013
12536 posts
4055 upvotes
Oakville
speedyturtle wrote:
Dec 6th, 2017 2:15 pm
It appears Bell doesn't unlock phone under corporate plan, still ask for $50 to unlock.
Nobody does. See the (several) previous posts about it in this thread. Wireless code doesn't apply to corporate plans.
Public Mobile
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
11512 posts
1130 upvotes
Kanata
Videotron has their unlock page online, just did a samsung phone and got the code after the IMEI check. Super easy.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2004
8198 posts
52218 upvotes
Montreal
Hi there,

Actually, the information for Bell is incorrect. I visited 2 Bell stores in Montreal and they don't do any unlocking. They just refer me to call their customer service line. Most likely it's just the BS excuse not to do it...

Ju Leon...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7250 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
Unlocked a Samsung S3 purchased from WIND years ago...never unlocked it LOL
I was able to get unlock code by sending email with IMEI info to Freedom support.
I did try Samsung web chat first to get the unlock code and they had no code for the S3 and told me it was an international phone despite it was purchased through WIND store.
Anyways, big thumbs-up to Freedom Mobile.
I was not able to use carrier unlock because I am no longer a customer with Freedom. Pop in another SIM and code worked. It needed some extra troubleshooting here : https://canadaunlocking.com/how-to-unlock-a-phone
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7250 posts
249 upvotes
Toronto
The second phone I unlocked is a Rogers locked iPhone5s gifted to us.
Currently on a Rogers PAYO account and was able to initiate a chat.
The agent unlocked it told me to connect to iTunes with another SIM within the next day.
The process with iPhones is a more cryptic and a lot less certain but somehow it worked (WITHOUT ANY RESTORE) and that's all that matters!
Good luck!!
Deal Addict
Jul 28, 2006
1257 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
hi everyone. if you have a recent samsung phone it is a very quick and painless process to unlock it for free.

just go to live chat at www.samsung.ca (it's at the bottom of the homepage called "Live Chat"), type in your name and model info.

tell rep you want to unlock the phone and reference the CRTC regulation requiring all phones to be carrier unlocked.

rep asks for IMEI, and provides the unlock code and instructions very quickly. entire process took less than 3 mins.

much better alternative than calling the carrier and being put on hold.
Deal Addict
Dec 28, 2007
3604 posts
622 upvotes
Alberta
Anyone have any luck getting an active Rogers account corporate iPhone unlocked by chatting with them and telling them that you bought the phone off Kijiji?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

PhonesGuy, Doc