Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 12, 2006
122 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto

No more "won't be beat" pricing at No Frills & RCSS

It looks like the first couple of flyers for No Frills and Real Canadian Superstore no longer have the "won't be beat" pricing on eggs, bread, milk, and butter. Can anyone verify that the price of these staples have gone up in store?
3 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5522 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
I dont think there was ever much price difference between stores in direct competition for those staple items. I thought it still showed at the back of the flyer about the staples...the price boards at the front seem to be gone is some places and replaced by other "frills".

No frills does wont be beat turkeys and newly their front page items you can PM.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
8251 posts
1195 upvotes
No Frills wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 4:51 pm
I dont think there was ever much price difference between stores in direct competition for those staple items. I thought it still showed at the back of the flyer about the staples...the price boards at the front seem to be gone is some places and replaced by other "frills".

No frills does wont be beat turkeys and newly their front page items you can PM.
I once asked to do a PM at No Frills on an advertised item at a competitor and they told me that they only beat prices on those items on the back of the flyer (bread, milk, butter). So YMMV!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5522 posts
897 upvotes
Toronto
Frankie3s wrote:
Jan 7th, 2010 10:30 pm
I once asked to do a PM at No Frills on an advertised item at a competitor and they told me that they only beat prices on those items on the back of the flyer (bread, milk, butter). So YMMV!
Yes they're full of themselves. You can PM front page items but there are some conditions to it that are on the back of the flyer such as 1 day sales and 2 for 1 deals arent PMed. Also it depends on the location and who the local competitors are.

Most of the time you shouldnt need to PM though since head office is usually on it and lower the prices and ask the stores to display signs at the front. For example last week for the regions that has the boneless chicken breast on sale for 1.97 lb, Price Chopper had it cheaper so the price was dropped to 1.69lb.

For my store, we arent direct competitors with Price Chopper so we didnt change the price, also since they are weighed items and since it is frozen, its a pain in the ass to reprice the stickers that fall off. However we were still going to honor the PMs however not 1 person PMed that I know of last week.

For milk, eggs, butter, and milk, how it used to be done is weekly someone would physically go into the competitors stores and check their prices on those items. I dont know if thats still true.