None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3153 posts
1922 upvotes
Toronto

No Name vs. President's Choice

Always had this curiosity between the quality of similar goods made by both No Name brand and President's Choice. As they are both owned by Loblaw Companies Limited and sometimes sell the same exact goods with similar ingredients (i.e. I'm comparing No name brand dipped chocolate chip granola bars).

No Name brand is usually the cheaper brand but wanted to see if there were any major differences. I have noticed with items like chicken nuggets, the PC branded nuggets blow the No Name ones out of the water.

PC Dipped Chocolate Chip Fudge Bars (couldn't find the regular ones): http://i.imgur.com/8ZsMIQP.png
No Name dipped chocolate chip bars: http://imgur.com/klY9Uh9
39 replies
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
17506 posts
5436 upvotes
Toronto
PC is higher quality as said and thus higher retail price. No name is cheaper price and cheaper product too.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
18398 posts
11031 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
MangoFruit wrote: PC brand is supposedly higher quality :3.
Perhaps the quality of the ingredients in PC is higher but it's hard to tell. I've compared the nutrition labels between NN and PC versions of generic products like canola oil and canned beans. They're identical. They're probably made on the same production line using the same ingredients.

Of course two things that are definitely not identical are the packaging and the price ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3153 posts
1922 upvotes
Toronto
Sometimes it's very difficult to tell the difference in quality, even when the ingredients and calorie counts are almost identical. The markup sometimes could very well be the packaging some times too.

I often find a lot of the No Name items are pretty amazing.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
2372 posts
1072 upvotes
B.C.
I wouldn't be surprised if some things were the same between NN and PC.

I'm also amazed at the number of NN items at the "wholesale club" stores and how many restaurants and convenience stores are serving No Name stuff.
Dec 17, 2010
366 posts
141 upvotes
Well I use to work at superstore, and I know for a fact that some of the no name stuff are pretty high quality.

I remember my manager told us that one of the no name shampoo that we got was from a well known branded company. The no name one sells for idk 2$? while the branded one sells for 9$. They are made the same, but just different branding. I also remember reading somewhere that the no name ice cream is just the same as chapman ice cream (Idk if that is true).
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2013
1306 posts
112 upvotes
Halifax
Some definitely are brand name for sure.

[QUOTE]Almost 24 percent of supermarket products are store brands, according to the Private Label Manufacturers Association[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]National brands produce and package a wide variety of store-brand products. Among the many big names known to make store brands are Hormel (canned meats, bouillon, and desserts), Marcal (paper towels, tissues, and napkins), McCain (french fries, appetizers, and frozen pizza), and Reynolds (foil, plastic wrap and bags, and disposable plates and cups).

Rarely will you find clues to a store brand’s heritage, and suppliers can change at any time. Nor is there any guarantee that national brands simply slap different labels on products rolling off the same assembly line. Store-brand products might be made to different specifications.[/QUOTE]

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm
May 28, 2012
10480 posts
2599 upvotes
Saskatoon
I hardly buy any no name products; the canola oil is the only consistent no name item in my pantry. The few that I have tried were inferior to the equivalent brand name...i.e. no name soup and chips are really bad. President's Choice is closer to brand name and I buy more of that line than from any other competitor.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2008
1998 posts
414 upvotes
Ottawa
No Name does not waste money on pretty packaging which is great. Generally I feel like they have good quality. My only complain is frozen veggies where you get mostly carrots and little cauliflower/broccoli.
Nov 28, 2013
500 posts
224 upvotes
The chicken nuggets/strips are definitely different. No name ones seem to use more 'mystery meat' (darker) than the PC ones (whiter meat and tastes better). Not counting Blue Menu ofc, they taste like crap.

No name ketchup is a bit runnier than PC. I don't have a preference for either.

Haven't bought other NN products in a while.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2009
1134 posts
254 upvotes
bylo wrote: Perhaps the quality of the ingredients in PC is higher but it's hard to tell. I've compared the nutrition labels between NN and PC versions of generic products like canola oil and canned beans. They're identical. They're probably made on the same production line using the same ingredients.

Of course two things that are definitely not identical are the packaging and the price ;)
nutritionally a bean is a bean

taste wise there can be differences, grading, if previously frozen (doesn't really apply to beans) white meat vs dark (again not beans), age of ingredient, if picked when ripe or premature etc etc
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2024 upvotes
Nowhere
Lincoln65 wrote: Some definitely are brand name for sure.
The products are not the same as the brand name product although they are made by the same company. The brand name company makes them to NN or PCs specifications. My father used to work in food manufacturing and they made many store brand products in addition to their own brand and the store brand products were not made with the same recipe or to the same specifications. That all came from the company requesting the product.
Banned
May 3, 2009
6148 posts
777 upvotes
No name are for nobodies, Presidents choice are for wannabies.

Alpha male buys brand name.
Mar 28, 2008
374 posts
196 upvotes
PC ribs are a lot better than NN ribs.