No Pirated Software Sales/Trades Allowed

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 17th, 2017 4:56 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 17, 2006
1 posts
Trader Score: 0
It is really confusing. There are numerous interpretations of the law, plus the laws change from time to time.

If it is really all that illegal, then why can these companies operate, advertise. One search on Google will bring up numerous companies many with brick and mortar store fronts no issue. I personally know of a brick and mortar company in Toronto that will mod your console and supply copies of any game you want. Been in operation for years.

If these laws are really so strong, then why at Pacific mall in Toronto can you walk past stores that have rows and rows of illegal movies for sale. Talk about in your face. Fact is the pirate movement is so big, law can't do anything much about it.

On a lower level. If I buy a computer, I can do anything I want with it. No one is going to stop me. A console is just a computer, that I own. So long as I don't break FCC laws my modifying it, there is nothing the law can do imho.

Now if I play games that I don't have a license for, then they could probably do something, but what are they going to do, break into everybody's house and look around. That requires a search warrant and probable proof of illegal activity for the judge. If you are stupid enough to advertise what you do, then you are just asking for it. Besides, every person playing unlicensed games on a modded console is small potatoes. The law, if they were to strike, strike at the source. They obviously are not doing that, so no problem.

Fact is these corporate types are playing dirty pool and getting mad when people rebel against it.

Music CDs cost about $15-20 for $15 or so tracks. They require art work creation, stamping, silk screening, distribution, retailer cuts, etc... Fact is most artists only make $1.20/CD. So why is it that downloaded music that does not require any of the above still cost $1.00/song? Dirty pool.

It is common knowledge that console developers purposefully lower the cost of their consoles to hook buyers into buying to increase console sales and then make profits back by inflating the cost of accessories and games. Once again dirty pool. Sell the consoles at their actual cost and then the games at a reasonable rate and people will be less likely to pirate $20-$30 games.

The iPod is a very popular item. You can download games for your ipod for $5 each. No one has gone through the trouble of modding or cracking the istore DRM cause it is not worth it.
Deal Expert
Mar 22, 2007
23413 posts
1489 upvotes
Markham
Trader Score: 24 (100% Positive)
is this allow?

downloading movies from the internet and burn it into DVD
so you can watch it on dvd player/tv

can i sell DVD movies like that?
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2006
1964 posts
151 upvotes
Ajax
yao416 wrote:
Mar 26th, 2007 2:37 pm
is this allow?

downloading movies from the internet and burn it into DVD
so you can watch it on dvd player/tv

can i sell DVD movies like that?
That's funny. Why don't you just go the local Cineplex with a videocamera and then come back here and sell them.

Did anyone ever wonder why the likes of Blockbuster and Rogers increased the price for game rentals? hmmm....
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15611 posts
566 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Trader Score: 130 (100% Positive)
Does anyone know if modding a PS2/Xbox/related for the intent of playing region free is illegal?
Oct 29, 2007
32 posts
Toronto Canada
Trader Score: 2 (100% Positive)
You are aloud to modify your personal hardware any which way you like. You are aloud to also modify other peoples hardware and you are aloud to sell hardware which is modified. As long as the hardware you have modified is not being used for anything that is not legal such as burning a game which you do NOT own and playing them, you are fine. If you sell burned games without providing the original it is ILLEGAL! If you sell modded xbox 360's that is fine. Just as long as you do not provide illegal software.
Jun 7, 2006
777 posts
6 upvotes
mrtvgame wrote:
Apr 12th, 2007 7:06 pm
That's funny. Why don't you just go the local Cineplex with a videocamera and then come back here and sell them.

Did anyone ever wonder why the likes of Blockbuster and Rogers increased the price for game rentals? hmmm....
Now its illegal to record movies in cinemas and some may offended because it is lack of freedom for customers.
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15611 posts
566 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Trader Score: 130 (100% Positive)
How about pirating/buying pirated stuff from Europe? Like if I want a region specific videogame, and I pirate it due to lack of funds to travel to Europe and buy it.
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2004
2464 posts
31 upvotes
Ontario
Trader Score: 32 (100% Positive)
Setz wrote:
Nov 4th, 2007 12:58 pm
How about pirating/buying pirated stuff from Europe? Like if I want a region specific videogame, and I pirate it due to lack of funds to travel to Europe and buy it.
I'll go out on a limb and say that that's illegal.
Heatware: 60-0-0
Jun 9, 2004
299 posts
5 upvotes
What if I want to GIVE AWAY a CD-KEY, because the original disc has been lost or damaged?

All I'd ask in trade is an amusing haiku, or something like "First person to properly use the word 'hornswoggle' in a sentence gets the key in PM" for my own amusement.

Kosher?
ATOT | RFD | YAGT
Feb 13, 2008
88 posts
Toronto
Trader Score: 3 (100% Positive)
Regarding the Sony website quote (I cannot access the full website):

I am hesitant to believe that is accurate and complete information as there are so many problems with that quote:

a) Canada has no DMCA legislation and is in the process of defining new copyright. The laws cited were american.
b) The defendant plead guilty to 'selling illegal mod chips and pirated games.' The quote (remember: I can't view the actual article) doesn't actually describe the charges; the two activities are grouped together. It would be very easy for Sony to lump together what he did (sell mod and games) even though he could have only *plead guilty* to pirated games... The point of this article is to suggest you shouldn't sell anything pirated/modded.
c) circumvention devices are not illegal in canada and recent IP laws are ensuring safe harbours for them when used in non-infringing ways (unlike U.S. which is completely illegal)
d) the last sentence sums everything up nicely: [Canadians respect laws in other parts of the world.] To me, this suggests the defendant may have been selling to the U.S. or something as it is unlikely the RCMP would bust someone for breaking an american law in Canada with other canadians...

Just my $0.02.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2008
1025 posts
88 upvotes
Markham
Trader Score: 20 (100% Positive)
Regarding modded consoles...
where do modded psp's fall...? Since its modded firmware...and not hardware...so would a sale of a modded psp be banned XD?
Mar 1, 2009
3 posts
Guelph
neptunestar wrote:
Dec 25th, 2005 1:43 am
isn't modding xbox and ps2 are illegal?
if burned games are to be banned then shouldn't the modded machines too?
no they aren't illegal your allow to make them look good but not making them able to play games that have been burned so it both half and half.
May 20, 2005
657 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 32 (100% Positive)
Just a caution to all looking to buy used Xboxs. Be careful M$oft's banhammer is out in full force so be weary of buying modded consoles. Nobody is safe.
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel