Tags:
None
Dec 8, 2008
570 posts
48 upvotes
Edmonton
Trader Score: 0
That doesn't sound too legal
But if 1 person is buying in bulk, and they provided you with the funds before hand, you can always send them as a gift to each recipient assuming there your friends.
I'm pretty sure they'll mac lock you after they notice you have over 20,000 friends in 1 week, and 2 hours of gameplay.

That said, my understanding is that, modding a console is legal assuming that the use is for benevolent reasons.
App development, homebrews, restoring Linux, enabling region free gameplay, etc.
Buying a 2nd ps2 or GC to play Japanese and etc. games is not what i consider efficient and becomes quite cumbersome when swapping consoles.

As well, backups OF GAMES YOU OWN (this cannot be stressed enough) are legal so long as you own the original license copy of the game (you bought it from a legitimate retailer not called Back-Alley-Bob).

The thing most people do not understand is that when you purchase a game you're actually purchasing a LIFETIME license to the content within said disc assuming that you do not violate the terms of agreement.

Piracy got bad around '93, '94 (i wonder why ;) )
Nov 24, 2006
634 posts
Toronto
Trader Score: 12 (100% Positive)
i have no clue where to look in regards to getting my GC modded so i'm wondering if it's alright that i post a WTB or LF here...
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1646 posts
235 upvotes
Nova Scotia
JayPatel wrote:
Aug 30th, 2005 11:31 pm
CD-Keys not allowed unless the retail CD/DVD is accompanying the sale.
Account Transfers are a no no if they break the publishers/developers EULA
akuma2 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2005 9:24 pm
I think it's important for everyone to also understand that buying, selling, trading modded gaming units and systems is not just a EULA/TOS violation, but is also illegal, not just in the states, but Canada as well.
I realize this is a sticky and it is unlikely to get any form of debate but I just wanted to post my concerns with this RFD policy to not permit trading in violation of EULA or TOS.

I do not understand why people in this thread equate breaching a private contract with piracy.

An EULA or TOS is just that, a private contract made between the buyer (me) and seller. Here, there is no involvement with the government in any capacity: this is not copying (Copyright Act) nor is this theft (Criminal Code of Canada). As such, private contracts are regulated by what is known as the common law: offer, acceptance, privity of contract etc.

When people here say something is "illegal" they normally associate that with a criminal offence or violation of government legislation: they do not associate it with breaking a term of a contract. The only consequences in law for breaching that contract are what is outlined in that contract or other common law remedies such as performance. This being the case, it is perfectly acceptable for any party to breach a contract if they feel it is worth the penalty in contract law.

People cancelling mobile phone contracts are forced by contract to pay out what they owe for the remainder of the contract (performance). Yet advising someone to break the contract is not against RFD rules. I ask why selling something, contrary to a contract I have with Steam or whoever is treated differently? Sure there is a risk the account may be cancelled, but prices will be low enough to reflect it. Otherwise there is nothing here that will get you a fine from the government or a criminal record: this is an agreement made by private citizens (which includes corporations).

If RFD feels there may be reprisal from companies like Steam, they fear needlessly. This is not the same as piracy.
Deal Expert
Mar 27, 2007
15612 posts
567 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Trader Score: 130 (100% Positive)
jmatheson64 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 11:59 am
I realize this is a sticky and it is unlikely to get any form of debate but I just wanted to post my concerns with this RFD policy to not permit trading in violation of EULA or TOS.

I do not understand why people in this thread equate breaching a private contract with piracy.

An EULA or TOS is just that, a private contract made between the buyer (me) and seller. Here, there is no involvement with the government in any capacity: this is not copying (Copyright Act) nor is this theft (Criminal Code of Canada). As such, private contracts are regulated by what is known as the common law: offer, acceptance, privity of contract etc.

When people here say something is "illegal" they normally associate that with a criminal offence or violation of government legislation: they do not associate it with breaking a term of a contract. The only consequences in law for breaching that contract are what is outlined in that contract or other common law remedies such as performance. This being the case, it is perfectly acceptable for any party to breach a contract if they feel it is worth the penalty in contract law.

People cancelling mobile phone contracts are forced by contract to pay out what they owe for the remainder of the contract (performance). Yet advising someone to break the contract is not against RFD rules. I ask why selling something, contrary to a contract I have with Steam or whoever is treated differently? Sure there is a risk the account may be cancelled, but prices will be low enough to reflect it. Otherwise there is nothing here that will get you a fine from the government or a criminal record: this is an agreement made by private citizens (which includes corporations).

If RFD feels there may be reprisal from companies like Steam, they fear needlessly. This is not the same as piracy.
I'll answer from the point of view that you're talking about Steam keys, trading, etc?

It's more a safety thing in regards to that. It breaches the EULA/SSA/ToS and as a consequence of such, one or more parties involved can have their accounts terminated. RFD is looking out for the best interests of everyone who uses the site, and as such, all threads that would breach a ToS are closed/deleted.
Oct 23, 2012
6 posts
Costa Rica
That is in case the item you are selling is in fact from a stolen / leaked source, there has been a really low number of accounts on steam getting banned from this practice dating back to when the Dirt 3 key leaks and some other that I shouldnt discuss.

But what happens if I would like to sell the game, but I don't have the means to ship the item (as I currently don't) and I am willing to send the exclusive PHOTO of the game code itself from the original game box, for a lower price (since I don't have to pay for shipping fees and such). It is totally legit, games come from a retail game supplier. Even like this it is not permitted?
Deal Addict
Aug 3, 2009
1646 posts
235 upvotes
Nova Scotia
Setz wrote:
Oct 20th, 2012 12:10 pm
I'll answer from the point of view that you're talking about Steam keys, trading, etc?

It's more a safety thing in regards to that. It breaches the EULA/SSA/ToS and as a consequence of such, one or more parties involved can have their accounts terminated. RFD is looking out for the best interests of everyone who uses the site, and as such, all threads that would breach a ToS are closed/deleted.
Protecting the interests of a buyer is important, but so is permitting sellers to put their items for sale. Due dilligence is a must for anyone doing a transaction online, just as it is when doing a transaction in person. Yes there is a risk the account may be disabled for breach of EULA, but that is little different than finding out that the car you just bought used was actually subject to a lien that prohibited sale without permission of the financing company. However, selling a car is not prohibited here despite that risk.

I don't feel it is necessary to ban these software sales outright when a simple sticky stating the risks in buying steam accounts would be sufficient. I still feel like the reason RFD is banning them is because it is equating them with piracy, and therefore fears ending up being sued by developers as in cases like Napster or megaupload. As I said before, that logic is wrong and RFD doesn't need to play EULA cop.
Dec 7, 2009
944 posts
258 upvotes
Question regarding selling codes.... I recently bought a new HD 7870 and recieved the far cry 3 /MOH promo. It is a one use promotional code to download the game. Nothing in the fine print probits transferring it to someone else as far as I can tell, and it isn't the actuall CD key. Is this allowed/can I post it in buy/sell?

Thanks
Deal Fanatic
May 4, 2007
6900 posts
260 upvotes
Trader Score: 119 (100% Positive)
i think this thread was more directed towards burnt games.
NINTENDO - NES SNES N64
SEGA PLAYSTATION ATARI EVERYTHING ELSE IE VECTREX Have old Games? Broken or working ! Systems games controllers guides manuals game boxes etc!!~~ I GIVE YOU MONEY ~~EMAIL me :arrowd: :arrowd: :arrowd: Cellplanman@gmail.com[/COLOR][/EMAIL][/U]
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2012
2152 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
Trader Score: 26 (100% Positive)
Am I able to sell a 3DS R4 card with no pirated games, but mention the ability of the card to play backups?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2007
2828 posts
86 upvotes
Trader Score: 23 (100% Positive)
Can we trade or give away retail package of games? i.e. no keys are involved, just the standard things like box, manual, disc, etc.
Dec 4, 2013
631 posts
53 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
Trader Score: 28 (100% Positive)
People are selling or renting digital downloaded games with their BST consoles. At any time rights for those games can be removed remotely. It is against the TOS to sell steam, xboxlive, or psn accounts. Why is this being allowed on this forum? A friendly suggestion to remove these items from a BST post results in a warning for thread crapping? And even thought the moderators are aware the posts are not edited?
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Nov 28, 2013
481 posts
176 upvotes
Quebec
Can you sell services to mod consoles?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel