• Feb 11th, 2019 3:23 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
13 posts
1 upvote

No progress in WEIGHT LOSS

Hi. I exercise regularly and I have been on a diet for 2 months. during this time I lost 1 lbs. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Do you have any special advice for me? 5'10 fts and 308 lbs

edit 16.01: I weight 305.5 lbs so i have lost 6 pounds so far!
if you are interested in what changes I have specifically introduced in my diet, what plan I have and what supplements I use,
I use everything that is written in an ebook. it was recommended to me, and I also recommend it to you. I will write about my future results. greetings.
here a page where you can order an e-book by email (it's free so you can try) : weightloss.com [removed]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Feb 4th, 2019 9:30 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: shortened link removed
Share:
123 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3299 posts
1026 upvotes
Ottawa
My husband and I just read The Obesity Code, as my husband wants to lose about 80 pounds (he's 5'11" and 285) I'm normal weight but want to be healthier. Anyway, it was a fascinating read, and we're going to try his suggestions... in short, avoid sugar and processed foods. Periodical fasting is also recommended.
May 18, 2008
743 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Start intermittent fasting. It'll do wonders for you.
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
so much "fasting talk", but no talk about the actual problem.

OP you a troll?

What does your daily intake look like? Write what you eat down, I'm pretty sure you are cheating.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5643 posts
760 upvotes
If you've only lost one lb in two months, you're not in a sustained deficit. Weight loss will be a sign of a deficit. Don't eat what you think is a deficit and expect weight loss; if you don't experience loss after 2-4 weeks of a certain intake, reduce your intake further.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5643 posts
760 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 5:35 pm
My husband and I just read The Obesity Code, as my husband wants to lose about 80 pounds (he's 5'11" and 285) I'm normal weight but want to be healthier. Anyway, it was a fascinating read, and we're going to try his suggestions... in short, avoid sugar and processed foods. Periodical fasting is also recommended.
What you need to avoid are calories. If omitting specific foods or food groups helps you reduce your kcal intake, then those avoidance mechanisms can be used as a tool. But it's not the omission of sugar or processed foods itself that causes fat loss.
Kaeoue wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 5:48 pm
Start intermittent fasting. It'll do wonders for you.
No. IF speaks to the timing of intake of kcals and not to amount. OP needs to ensure s/he's in a deficit in order to experience fat loss.
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3299 posts
1026 upvotes
Ottawa
amz155, the research is showing that all calories are not equal. I was skeptical at first, on reading The Obesity Code, but the impact of certain foods on insulin, is clear. I realize there are many options, many choices, all claiming to be The One, but there's no doubt that reducing sugar is a good thing to do. I was amused to see that even Weight Watchers is no longer focusing the calories, and have rebranded themselves (WW, or Wellness that Works).
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
3946 upvotes
Toronto
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 7:54 pm
amz155, the research is showing that all calories are not equal. I was skeptical at first, on reading The Obesity Code, but the impact of certain foods on insulin, is clear. I realize there are many options, many choices, all claiming to be The One, but there's no doubt that reducing sugar is a good thing to do. I was amused to see that even Weight Watchers is no longer focusing the calories, and have rebranded themselves (WW, or Wellness that Works).
yeah but the fact is the OP is not on a real diet. He's just eating whatever he/she wants... how can you lose 1 lb after 2 months? What kind of diet are they on? the eat everything diet?? yeah im sorry, if you're eating 2000 calories of pop and mcdonalds, of course hes not going to lose weight.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2006
6028 posts
440 upvotes
JamesK7400 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:19 pm
Hi. I exercise regularly and I have been on a diet for 2 months. during this time I lost 1 lbs. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Do you have any special advice for me? 5'9 fts and 220 lbs
Exercise is a great way to get in shape and gain muscle, but going to the gym isn't necessarily going to result in weight loss.

If you want to lose weight, easily 80% of the issue is basic food intake / calories. Consume less calories than you burn, and your body will start turning to its fat reserves for the energy it needs to keep it going.

The average male with a sedentary lifestyle burns about 2000 - 2200 calories a day simply just by existing. If you go to the gym every day and run a half hour on the treadmill and burn another 400 calories, then that initial "burn calories to stay alive" number goes up accordingly. So long as you consistently consume LESS calories than that number, you will eventually lose weight. How quickly you'll lose weight will depend largely on your deficit each day/week.

So if your body needs 2100 calories to just exist and you're consuming 1400 calories a day, and you're not going to the gym at all, that leaves you with a 700 calorie deficit. There's 3500 calories in one pound, Assuming you keep this up, by the end of the week, you should be down about 1 1/4 lbs, if not a little bit more.

If you're not losing weight, but not gaining any, then you're at maintenance. That means that the number of calories you consume, on average per day over the course of the week, is about the same number of calories your body burns.

As for strategies, there's all sorts of them. Keto Diet, Atkins Diet, Potato Diet, Whatever Diet. The diet is a tool to get you started and to help you see results, but it needs to become a lifestyle change vs something that is temporary. Find out what type of diet works for you and your body and run with it.

Anyway, hope that helps.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2149 posts
1135 upvotes
Ask your doctor for a referral to (type 2) diabetes education classes. Every GP in Canada diagnoses and manages type 2 diabetes and can make a referral.

Follow most of the advice given in terms of meal planning.

Short of turning yourself into an elite athlete, its practically impossible to lose meaningful amounts of weight through exercise, rather than controlling/recalibrating your diet.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5643 posts
760 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 7:54 pm
Insulin isn't the cause of obesity. You have to be careful of myopic zealots who may and try and convince you otherwise though. Fung is one such charlatan to beware of.

What do you mean that there's no doubt that reducing sugar is good? For who? Which type of sugar? From what level down to what level? Context needs to be known prior to making broad statements :)

For anyone that wants to read up on insulin:

https://weightology.net/insulin-an-unde ... eputation/
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
1596 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
Could it be possible that as you are burning off fat you are building muscle? As in, you won't see any loss in weight because of the increase of muscle.

Does your pants feel any looser? Do you notice a little extra muscle somewhere else?

If no, then it's possible that your calorie intake is too high and you are eating too much "bad" food. It is the holidays. Maybe you took an extra this or that while celebrating.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Jan 18, 2017
521 posts
175 upvotes
Track your calories - you can't beat thermodynamics; if you run a caloric deficit you'll lose weight. Intermittent fasting and keto can help.
[OP]
Banned
Jan 5, 2019
13 posts
1 upvote
I think I eat really well. I currently weigh 308 lbs, 5'10 fts. before the diet I have eaten 3000 kcal, since I have been on a diet - 2,500 kcal. I do not follow the kcal so much, just rounded a bit. in addition, I drink a lot of water and sleep well enough. maybe I should start taking some weight loss supplements?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5596 posts
5572 upvotes
Vancouver
JamesK7400 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:19 pm
Hi. I exercise regularly and I have been on a diet for 2 months. during this time I lost 1 lbs. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Do you have any special advice for me? 5'9 fts and 220 lbs
JamesK7400 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 1:12 pm
I think I eat really well. I currently weigh 308 lbs
Obviously not if you have gained 88 lbs since yesterday.