Tags:
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2011
3049 posts
813 upvotes
Ottawa
amz155 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:47 am
Insulin isn't the cause of obesity. You have to be careful of myopic zealots who may and try and convince you otherwise though. Fung is one such charlatan to beware of.

What do you mean that there's no doubt that reducing sugar is good? For who? Which type of sugar? From what level down to what level? Context needs to be known prior to making broad statements :)

For anyone that wants to read up on insulin:

https://weightology.net/insulin-an-unde ... eputation/
Thanks for the link, it is interesting - although I'm not sure if the author's credentials are any better than Dr. Fung's, so I'll suspend judgement on this.

Re: sugar, reducing intake should be a given. It includes white, brown, refined, unrefined... I doubt anyone would claim that sugar is good for you! Given the % of people who are obese, and the prevalence of sugary foods, there is an obvious connection. Of course, it's not the whole story of the obesity crisis, but it's part of it.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
My three tips are:

1) eliminate sugar - and really look at nutritional labelling. Stuff like organic cane juice, honey, agave syrup, etc. is still sugar.

2) keep cold/cool. Lower the thermostat to 20C (or less) and dress as though it's the height of summer. Change that white fat to brown fat

3) build up big core muscles. Start doing planks The big core muscles burn a lot of calories just by being
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
541 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:01 pm
My three tips are:

1) eliminate sugar - and really look at nutritional labelling. Stuff like organic cane juice, honey, agave syrup, etc. is still sugar.

2) keep cold/cool. Lower the thermostat to 20C (or less) and dress as though it's the height of summer. Change that white fat to brown fat

3) build up big core muscles. Start doing planks The big core muscles burn a lot of calories just by being
1) well vegetables, fruits, grains and dairy also have sugar. Should OP eliminate all those too?

2) that does nothing significance for energy balance. OP could easily eat like 150kcal less per day (ish) and not be miserably cold

3) muscle doesn't burn THAT many more kcals. Maybe 6 extra kcals per lb of muscle at rest. So gain ten lbs and burn extra 60kcal, big whoop lol. Also, lost efficient way to build is with a calorie *surplus* and resistance training, not in a deficit using body weight exercises.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
541 upvotes
OttawaGardener wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 4:54 pm
Thanks for the link, it is interesting - although I'm not sure if the author's credentials are any better than Dr. Fung's, so I'll suspend judgement on this.

Re: sugar, reducing intake should be a given. It includes white, brown, refined, unrefined... I doubt anyone would claim that sugar is good for you! Given the % of people who are obese, and the prevalence of sugary foods, there is an obvious connection. Of course, it's not the whole story of the obesity crisis, but it's part of it.
I think you're forgetting that grains, dairy, produce all contain 'sugar'. You understand glucose metabolism, right?

Sugary foods are very often foods that are also high in fat (read = hyperpalatable). Pro tip: it's not just the sugar contributing to obesity. It's the fact that calories are being consumed in excess, and delicious calories are easier to eat and overconsume.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
1277 posts
430 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
amz155 wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 6:24 pm
1) well vegetables, fruits, grains and dairy also have sugar. Should OP eliminate all those too?
I should have specified "added sugar". While I am here, stay away from fruit juices, or stuff containing fruit juices.
2) that does nothing significance for energy balance. OP could easily eat like 150kcal less per day (ish) and not be miserably cold
Ah, but brown fat is metabolically active, and burns 4x more energy than white fat. The overweight can convert white fat into brown fat (cold and shivering helps the process), they'd be better off as all that fat will burn 4x more calories.
3) muscle doesn't burn THAT many more kcals. Maybe 6 extra kcals per lb of muscle at rest. So gain ten lbs and burn extra 60kcal, big whoop lol. Also, lost efficient way to build is with a calorie *surplus* and resistance training, not in a deficit using body weight exercises.
8x more than white fat. Every little bit helps, I say. Worked for me (not that I was ever severely overweight or anywhere near obese).

Following my the latter two points above (I regretfully have fallen a little into the sugar trap but can quit quite easily), I keep my weight within a 7 lb range and even at the upper end, still fit comfortably into pants I bought when I was in the lower range. I eat quite a bit and am quite sedentary to boot. A lot of weight loss started since I started planking.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Deal Fanatic
Feb 9, 2009
7003 posts
4013 upvotes
I’ll give you my diet— I guarantee you will lose weight if you stick to this ...

Meal 1: 2 eggs. 3 egg whites (I eat 5 but you go 3). Bowl
of steel cut or rolled oats (no instant oatmeal crap) . Put 2 tablespoons of flaxseed for your good fats and fiber. 2 cups kale, arugula and spinach. If you need flavour in the oatmeal add something like cinnamon or small cup of berries

Meal 2: protein shake (water no milk).

Meal 3: grilled chicken breast with salad and veggies. 15-20 almonds (for good fats). Small cup of brown rice

Meal 4 (usual after workout): protein shake

Meal 5: fish (salmon) or grilled chicken. Loads of veggies. Source of fat like almonds or tablespoon of natural peanut butter (not the sugary kraft crap!) small cup of brown rice or pasta. If you don’t want fish or chicken here go with extra lean ground turkey mixed with black beans, corn and red and green peppers. If you opt for this you can cut out the brown rice as the black beans will be your carb source (too much carbs= fat!!)

Meal 6: small bowl of Greek yogurt (for casein protein which is slow release of protein).

I can go in depth about macros blah blah but you seem like a beginner so I won’t. Key is get enough protein and food in you when you are building muscle and leaning out — if you aren’t getting enough protein you won’t build enough muscle — period! You see all those fit people ? It’s all in the kitchen l!!

Key is STICK TO THE DIET! There are no off days and I don’t believe in cheat days! But if you want a cheat meal to keep you sane go for it.. but no more than one meal A WEEK !! No pizza! No cookies! No fried foods! Trust me you won’t miss them after a few weeks l! The weak minded eat these foods and then complain about weight.

Now if you aren’t up for this then you can’t complain about weight loss — as I said you stick to this diet and go work out 4 times a week you wiii lose fat and build muscle! You will come on here after a year and post your gains!!!!! It feels good go work out and be better than everyone else!

For supplements: for beginner take a good multivitamin. There are other supplements I take but as a beginner just stick to the vitamin. If you are serious about muscle building then get a good creative as well that you take post workout.

Any questions let me know!
[OP]
Jan 5, 2019
8 posts
2 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 2:02 pm
Obviously not if you have gained 88 lbs since yesterday.
haha, I made a mistake in 1st post, this should be my target weight but it looked strange and I've already changed it.
thanks for all the answers, that's good knowledge. I will put into practice your advices and I will take weight loss supplements that my friend has recommended to me.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
541 upvotes
JamesK7400 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 2:56 pm
haha, I made a mistake in 1st post, this should be my target weight but it looked strange and I've already changed it.
thanks for all the answers, that's good knowledge. I will put into practice your advices and I will take weight loss supplements that my friend has recommended to me.
Don't waste your money on weight loss supplements. There is nothing you can take that will accelerate weight loss by any worthwhile amount. You need to consume less food and move more.
Jan 4, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
JamesK7400 wrote:
Jan 6th, 2019 1:19 pm
Hi. I exercise regularly and I have been on a diet for 2 months. during this time I lost 1 lbs. I wonder what I am doing wrong. Do you have any special advice for me? 5'10 fts and 308 lbs
Hi, eat less carbs and sweets...i didnt exercise, took yoli and after a few months, i went down from 145 to 121 lbs...but it is expensive so i just followed the no sweets no carbs on certain days and still managing my weight...strictly protein only on 4 days ... hope that helps
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
541 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote:
Jan 7th, 2019 7:26 pm
I should have specified "added sugar". While I am here, stay away from fruit juices, or stuff containing fruit juices.

Ah, but brown fat is metabolically active, and burns 4x more energy than white fat. The overweight can convert white fat into brown fat (cold and shivering helps the process), they'd be better off as all that fat will burn 4x more calories.

8x more than white fat. Every little bit helps, I say. Worked for me (not that I was ever severely overweight or anywhere near obese).

Following my the latter two points above (I regretfully have fallen a little into the sugar trap but can quit quite easily), I keep my weight within a 7 lb range and even at the upper end, still fit comfortably into pants I bought when I was in the lower range. I eat quite a bit and am quite sedentary to boot. A lot of weight loss started since I started planking.
Someone that is obese doesn't need to learn how to major in the minors. He needs to stick to the basics. The extra weight was gained over time due to energy excess. The extra weight will come off over time with an energy surplus.

(Planking itself doesn't *cause a lot of weight loss*). I think you're mixing up causation and correlation, maybe?
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
541 upvotes
PurpleLove wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:28 pm
Hi, eat less carbs and sweets...i didnt exercise, took yoli and after a few months, i went down from 145 to 121 lbs...but it is expensive so i just followed the no sweets no carbs on certain days and still managing my weight...strictly protein only on 4 days ... hope that helps
Again, OP, you don't need to take anything to aid with fat loss. I don't even know what Yoli is but ignore that suggestion.
Jan 4, 2019
6 posts
3 upvotes
amz155 wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:46 pm
Again, OP, you don't need to take anything to aid with fat loss. I don't even know what Yoli is but ignore that suggestion.
I understand that but just wanted to be honest that i took it before and it helped me...he doesnt have to take it...in any diet, we all can manage if we discipline ourselves...☺️
Mar 6, 2015
225 posts
510 upvotes
New Brunswick
1. Eat real food. Not too much. Mostly vegetables.

2. Move! It doesn't all have to be done in the gym. Little things can make a difference. Park at the back of the lot and walk to the store. Take the stairs wherever you can. If it's possible to walk or bike to work, do it. I also find one of the best things I can do to start my day off well is go for a walk right out of bed. It doesn't have to be long. Just get up, throw some clothes on, and go. Breakfast and shower (or whatever your morning routine is) when you get back. 20-30 minutes of fresh air and movement to start your day does wonders for you both physically and mentally.
Last edited by bunmin on Jan 8th, 2019 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
5264 posts
541 upvotes
PurpleLove wrote:
Jan 8th, 2019 6:56 pm
I understand that but just wanted to be honest that i took it before and it helped me...he doesnt have to take it...in any diet, we all can manage if we discipline ourselves...☺️
Well, a calorie deficit is what caused your weight loss. :)

People struggling with obesity often needs to make lifestyle changes to support dietary and activity improvements. These changes should be achievable, practical, sustainable. Switching out 'real food' for supplements instead doesn't really help develop and support those 'good' habits that need to be developed.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2015
1937 posts
685 upvotes
Monte Creek, BC
Exercise and healthy eating will do it in most cases.
Have a look at WeightWatchers. They will teach you how to eat healthy and at the same time learn to enjoy some of the guilty foods but in moderation.
There is a monthly fee, but it's a small price to pay for learning to eat healthy. My wife has been on it for a few years and it has benefited her immensely, and me too. Every once in awhile I catch her feeding me a WW approved meal.
You give them a target goal and when you reach it there are no more fees.
Diversity is Our Burden

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (1 member and 0 guests)

Poppwl